PDA

View Full Version : Birthing video for kids?

TLC1994
07-28-2004, 10:50 AM
My husband and I are still discussing whether or not to have our 3 yr. old daughter in the room for the birth of our 2nd child. So I was wondering if there were any birthing videos out there that are ok for a young child to watch. I need something that will prepare her for the experience without being too graphic. (Of course, if things start to get out of hand during labor, she'd be taken out of the room.)

Anyway, if you have recommendations for a birthing video and/or a video just about Mommy going away to the hospital and coming back safe and sound, that would be good too. Our daughter is beginning to really worry about me going away and keeps saying how much she's going to miss me, etc. We're very close and haven't spent any time apart.

Thanks for the help.

Tondi G
07-28-2004, 12:56 PM
I am not sure about a good video but I do know that my hospital offers a sibling tour for older kids over 2 or 3. They take them for a tour of the labor and delivery floor... show them the rooms and run them by the nursery to look at any newborns that might be in there etc. I am definetly going to do this with my DS!!!!

If you are considering a delivery with an Epidural I would think that having your older child in the room with you would be ok.... if you are comfortable with it. If you are planing a natural delivery then it might be uncomfortable for your 3 year old to see you working through all the discomfort etc..... but in the end it is your call! I had a natural/drug free birth with my DS and I know having him in the room would be a distraction etc..... we will have him stay with grandma and be brought to the hospital right after baby is born to meet his new sibling when the time comes (as long as it isn't the middle of the night!!!!!

you could always watch a baby story and tape a couple that don't seem too graphic/traumatic to show your daughter!

Good luck
~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01