PDA

View Full Version : Fun and funky clothes for Mommas?---tired of the GAP!

daisymommy
07-28-2004, 02:25 PM
Well, up until now, I have been a devoted GAP and Old Navy shopper. Quite preppy, and at times trendy. But the funny thing is, I don't feel that way inside. I feel much more fun/funky/ and many times crunchy! I guess I never bothered to change my clothing style when I left college, and just stuck with the same old clothing stores. But I'm bored with my outside not matching my inside :)

Anyone have any favorite clothing store suggestions? I guess it would have to be the OPPOSITE of:
-GAP or Old Navy
-Lands End
-Polo/Ralph Lauren
-Ann Taylor, etc.

Not that there's anything wrong with these clothes, heck, my closet is FULL of them! but I want a new style! Something to wear with my Birkenstocks perhaps? But not so far as wearing broomstick skirts, and skipping shaving my legs...hee-hee, I'm not THAT earthy ;)

Hard to desrcribe what it is I'm really looking for...just something different than the run of the mill clothes you see everywhere. Help!

khakismom
07-28-2004, 02:39 PM
Chicco's? They have some fun and funky clothes. Not tailored at all. They can be flowy but arent' what you call "crunchy".

rrosen
07-28-2004, 02:52 PM
How about JJill?

www.jjill.com

tina-t
07-28-2004, 05:54 PM
Bebe, Express and The Limited looks like fun. Haven't shopped there personally but I've seen their window display in the mall.

MommytoDylan
07-28-2004, 06:02 PM
In California they have many stores that you would like, I think. Have you heard of Urban Outfitters or Anthropologie? They may be on line too! Good luck! I recently had my own fashion crisis and bought a few new outfits and found peace!!:)

HTH,
Meredith

pritchettzoo
07-28-2004, 06:03 PM
I was going to suggest JJill too!

What about Coldwater Creek? Some of their stuff is old-ladyish, but they have some fun, funky pieces sometimes.

Anna

crl
07-28-2004, 06:31 PM
I second the Anthropologie suggestion--I had a fashion crisis in February and Anthropolgie was definitely part of the solution. :-) (Not cheap though. . . .)

Marisa6826
07-28-2004, 06:38 PM
J. Jill has some really cute stuff, so does J. Crew.

Both are spendy unless you catch a sale though. They also don't have many big sizes x(.

-m

Sarah1
07-28-2004, 06:45 PM
I was also going to suggest Anthropologie or Urban Outfitters. I know just what you mean about being tired of Gap and Old Navy.

Melanie
07-28-2004, 07:13 PM
Great thread! I was just thinking this as I dropped $70 on Ds' clothing at this cute boutique today, while I'm wearing my $8 Target capris and $10 Kohl's shirt...did have ny Hanna clogs on though. LOL.

I actually quite like this outfit, but I was just thinking it would be nice to dress as fashionable as my child once in awhile. ;-) I feel like he looks like someone else dresses him.

ETA, I did just buy this with the Hanna code, though:

http://www.hannaandersson.com/images/LiveStyle03/4l28668s.jpg

jd11365
07-28-2004, 07:14 PM
I just picked up a bunch of things at New York and Company in the mall. I've never shopped there before. We have tax free week here and w. the end of the season, lots of things were 40-60% off. Definitely check them out. They aren't as "junior-looking" as Express, but nothing has the "your'e a mommy" look either. Not much was regularly priced over $40 bucks I don't believe, so they were very reasonable. You also earn a $15 bonus card for every $30 you spend, but you have to spend $30 to use each earned $15 bonus card and you can only use them on the dates they tell you. They're kinda like Gymbucks...

HTH!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

Mommie2MadLyn
07-28-2004, 07:19 PM
I can totally relate to feeling like someone else dresses my kid. She is always dressed so cute, in matching EVERYTHING... And I feel like I am always wearing the same denim shorts and Kohl's t-shirts. Very boring, but I also still need to shed quite a few pounds before I will buy any more clothes for myself! Not that I have been doing anything about that problem either! ;-)

Melanie
07-28-2004, 07:25 PM
I hear you! It's like I don't want to buy BIGGER clothes, but I'm loosing some of my favorites b/c they're too small. I ended up buying some new clothes a couple of months ago (albeit Target and Kohl's - LOL) but it's nice to at least have stuff that I feel good in and fits. I only feel frumpy when I venture out into LA from the burbs.

MartiesMom2B
07-28-2004, 07:58 PM
There's an Anthropologie in Bethesda. You should go and take a shopping trip in Georgetown, there should be some funky stuff there.

Sonia http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/1/character03.gif
Proud Mommy to Martie
[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lilypie.com/baby2/030406/3/4/3/+10/.png

MartiesMom2B
07-28-2004, 08:00 PM
I used to love shopping at the Limited when I was a professional. They had professional stuff without looking old lady. You have to be stick figure to wear bebe. When I was in the retail real estate business, bebe was concerned that NCers were not slim enough to wear there clothes.

Sonia http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/1/character03.gif
Proud Mommy to Martie
[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lilypie.com/baby2/030406/3/4/3/+10/.png

arcoe
07-28-2004, 08:16 PM
I third the suggestion to look at Anthropologie. Their clothes are somewhat reasonable when they get marked down. Recently, they gave an extra 30% off of all sale items - I picked up a bunch of things that day. I love that place!

C99
07-28-2004, 10:10 PM
And be about 5'2". Nothing ever fit me from Bebe and I'm 5'9" and thin.

egoldber
07-28-2004, 10:15 PM
There's also an Anthropologie in Tysons II (the Galleria).

crl
07-28-2004, 10:30 PM
Yes, that's the one I shopped at during my crisis! There's also a Harolds downstairs there with cute stuff and extremely nice salespeople. Also pricy, but a lot of stuff on sale when I was there.

I went with DH and a friend and they refused to allow me to go into Ann Taylor, Eddie Bauer, etc. They also handed me things to try on. Very helpful in preventing me from just buying more black pants and cream sweaters.

I think I need to go shopping. . . .

new_mommy25
07-29-2004, 01:08 AM
What about Nordstroms or Macy's? I get really great designer clothes on sale all the time.

JenCA
07-29-2004, 03:26 AM
I buy probably 95% of my wardrobe/shoes at Banana Republic. I find everything from work clothing to casual weekend stuff to items for dressier occasions. Most of the pieces are hip without being too over-the-top.

tinkerbell1217
07-29-2004, 09:18 AM
What kind of funky are you referring to?? Like "young funky" or just different??
I like Group USA and Macy's junior department, when I can find something in a size 13 that is. I also like the brand INC. (International Concepts). Its sold at Macy's and Burdines, and I think Dillards. Also, Bloomingdales I believe. INC carries lots of strecthy stuff, but fits nicely, even with a few extra pounds.

And, shoot me, but I LOVE JLo jeans! Also, Abercrombie and Fitch. Its a tiny bit preppie, but funky enough. Urban Outfitters is cool too.

JulieL
07-29-2004, 11:02 AM
Ok I effectively hate you gals(j/j~sorta). You have ruined target for me forever. I think I'll be dreaming about Anthropologie now, especially this dress! If I only had somewhere to wear it I might be able to talk myself into buying something this expensive, ok I don't have the money for it, but I can pretend I do!

http://www.anthropologie.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1956&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=164&iSubCat=224&iProductID=1956

bunnisa
07-29-2004, 01:25 PM
JulieL that dress is SOOOOOOOOOO cute. I love Anthropologie. The only problem is I find that I have to buy the whole outfit as they picture it, otherwise I never find anything that matches...

Also, this might be too obvious, but I find a lot of cute things at TJ Maxx and Marshall's. I especially look for things that "look" like Anthropologie et al. They have such a mix of styles and designers that you can kind of find your own personal niche style. Although you have to hunt, a la thrift store (only slightly more organized).

Bethany
It's a Boy!
William Eric
6/03

supersparkee
07-29-2004, 01:40 PM
Oooh - a topic I can really get into. I still feed my own clothing addiction, despite my growing baby clothing addiction!

In terms of "mall" stores, I also recommend Anthropologie and Banana Republic. I also love both BCBG and Betsey Johnson (but only when they are at least 50%). Both of these brands have their own stores but are also sold in many department stores. And Laundry and Marc Jacobs brands are fun. Club Monaco does a lot of designer knock-off styles at great prices. And H&M - whew - you can get an entire wardrobe for pretty cheap.

But outside of the mall are just as many good options. I like to find little funky neighborhood boutiques since they always have fun stuff. And don't forget Vintage Clothing stores. The clothes are pretty much guaranteed to be unique and the prices are right!

I LOVE designer clothing but I can only afford to go crazy during sale seasons. I am always scanning the newspaper for sale ads. For example, here in Atlanta, Saks will occasionally have days where all sale items are an additional 40% off and that's the day I go.

Have fun exploring new stores!

writeleigh
07-29-2004, 06:40 PM
I LOVE Anthropologie! And also, check out bostonproper.com they have some great and unusual items. I also can relate to the posters who are between sizes. So am I - I've lost most of my pregnancy weight, but am still several pounds away from my goal weight :)
Leigh

votre_ami03
07-29-2004, 08:01 PM
Now, if I only looked like HER!

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030722/1/7/2/-7/.png

votre_ami03
07-29-2004, 08:08 PM
Totally agree w/you Melanie! Nolan & I were at the Ped yesterday & the Nurse complimented me on how cute he was dressed, here I was slumming it in khaki shorts (al a Ross) & a black Old Navy tee. I love clothes & used to have quite the wardrobe b/f my bugaboo!

For me, it's not the weight but time, money & patience!

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030722/1/7/2/-7/.png

C99
07-30-2004, 02:08 AM
Along the lines of Anthropologie... lines like Lord & Taylor's Context and Sigrid Olsen (department stores).

kitmama
07-30-2004, 03:26 PM
So, uh, how crunchy do you want to go? ;)

I LOVE Old Navy, but I also sometimes wear sarongs or saris. I find the most beautiful ones on ebay! A nice rayon one has a beautiful drape, and once you get the hang of them they are SO versatile!

alkagift
07-30-2004, 04:13 PM
Amy,
What is H&M? I'm in Atlanta too and I can't think of what you're referring to. Sigh, perhaps it's because I buy all my clothes at Target and Land's End!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

crl
07-30-2004, 05:09 PM
H&M is a European store that has recently started expanding to the US. That's their name--I think it does stand for something but they just use H&M. There are at least 3 int he DC area--not sure where else they are.

They sell clothes for men, women and kids. Cheap, cute clothes (although their pants are cut for someone with a lot thinner thighs than mine and a willingness to go a lot lower than I will). I saw somewhere that Karl Lagerfeld (sp?) is going to design some pieces for them this fall.

supersparkee
07-30-2004, 11:41 PM
Unfortunately, there is not an H&M in Atlanta (not yet that is, I'm sure we'll get one eventually). I know there have them in NY and DC and seem to be expanding faster on the east coast than west coast. I wasn't sure where the OP was from so I mentioned it in case she lived in a city with one. If I'm going to buy an item that I wear for only one, maybe two seasons, that is the place - it's easier to justify!

daisymommy
07-31-2004, 03:06 PM
Thanks for all your replys ladies! I've been very busy adn haven't had a chance to read anything until now (we're in the middle of a long drawn out move--not fun!).

I will have to check out the stores you all mentioned. I'm really not sure if I used the term "fun and funky" correctly. Maybe I meant retro? I have no idea! Maybe I'll find a picture of something I like and post it, then you'll all know exactly what I mean! LOL!

Until then, I'm sitting here in some Levis jean shorts, and a black Kohl's tee-shirt with flip-flops...boring!!!

egoldber
07-31-2004, 04:52 PM
FYI, there is an H&M at Tysons....

daisymommy
08-01-2004, 10:38 PM
Thanks Beth--They just opened one up at our Potomac Mills Outlet Mall too! Everytime I walk by there I think, "Hmm, those clothes look like fun!" but I never go in. Maybe next time?!

houseof3boys
08-02-2004, 10:32 AM
Can you give me an example of something that you wear? I see some people wearing them sometimes with just a simple tshirt and flip flops and they look so cute. They look so complicated to me and they look like Ryan could pull it off me in a second too! :)

Saartje
08-02-2004, 12:07 PM
Yes, Kit, please do share photos! :) I've always wondered how to wear these and where to buy them. Are there good wearing instructions out there?

cilantromapuche
08-02-2004, 05:25 PM
I am going through the same thing. I like Sundance catalog for accesories and some linen shirts, etc. I also like Patagonia.
Sundance has an online outlet store.
Garnet Hill has some great stuff as well.

brigmaman
08-02-2004, 09:54 PM
Yeah, and if only I could sit like that all night- my tummy would probably look a bit flatter!
Seriously it is a beautiful dress and it's on sale! You could wear that as a sundress. There's no need for a special occasion. Find anything a half-birthday, trip to the park, a day when baby has slept through the night... any reason to dress up and celebrate!

brigmaman
08-02-2004, 09:58 PM
I've been trying to contact you. Sorry to hijack this thread. Just wondering if you still plan to meet up this weekend in Chicago. I haven't seen you post on the yahoo group lately.

Saartje
08-03-2004, 01:20 AM
I think I got removed by mistake. I just got back from out-of-town (we wanted to introduce Isaac to his great-grandparents), and haven't gotten to follow up on that yet.

My yahoo id is hydrophany at yahoo dot com -- if you email me there, that's the easiest way to make sure I don't miss your message. :)

brigmaman
08-03-2004, 09:14 AM
Yes there was some confusion...I'll go add you again.