PDA

View Full Version : What are your kiddos doing now?

amp
07-28-2004, 04:27 PM
Jacob is cracking me up lately and it's all I can do not to eat him up! He has started to imitate us a lot! If he gets my hairbrush he tries to brush his hair. Ditto with my curling iron. Also, he saw me feed a bite of his cheese to the cat the other day, and every since, he keeps trying to give his stuff to the cat (food, drink, toys, etc). He has also started scooting along while kneeling on his knees. Not reverting to cralwing, but a step down from his walking. Cracks me up! He also is getting very fleet of foot. We let him walk a lot now when we are out and you can't stop to look at anything in a store, or he'll be gone. The kids seems to have no fear about this! He also figured out he can lean back on stuff, like the couch or the ottoman and put his weight back on it. He's so funny! I love this kid so much and he amazes me everyday!

What are your kids doing?

jbowman
07-28-2004, 04:40 PM
Andrea,

That's awesome!

Ellie is saying "mamamamamama" incessantly! I know she's just babbling, but I love it! And if DH says to her, "say mama," she will! I am so impressed by my little one!

I'm watching another baby today (just a week older than Ellie) and Ellie keeps trying to grab his hand, his ear, his toys, etc. She even took the pacifier out of his mouth (LOL!). Of course he wants nothing to do with her. She's a very social baby!

Fun thread!

khakismom
07-28-2004, 04:52 PM
Ellen's favorite thing to do is climb the stairs. Up, down, up down--all day long.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9800.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9801.jpg

And she knows how to get down by going feet first sliding on her belly. She's also started climbing the furniture and fireplace hearth. She climbs, swings her legs for a bit, smiles, and then turns around to her belly and slides down. She loves to walk and wave. She babbles constantly, and now when you ask her "where's mommy's eye?", she jabs her little finger into your eye and gives you a huge smile. And she loves to say "hi" and give waves and kisses--big, open mouth kisses. :)

stillplayswithbarbies
07-28-2004, 05:01 PM
Logan is talking to the cat, in cat language. She says meow, but it comes out as "ow-Ow" in perfect intonation, and then the cat meows back. It's too funny.

She's babbling at us, and it sounds just like conversation, so I know she must be saying something important. Every now and then, there is a real word in there, book, meow, apple, but the rest of it is just gibberish with her tongue going all in circles in her mouth.

We got the Discover Sounds Kitchen and she loves it. No, I mean she actually *loves* it. She lays her head down on it and pats it, and then gives it a hug. Strange kiddo. :)

But the most endearing thing is when she shares an apple with her big brother. He'll eat some and she'll ask for it and take a few bites and then take it back to him and wait while he takes a few bites, and then take it back again. Eventually she forgets to take it back to him and just sits there munching on it. :) It just tugs my heart to watch my children share an apple. I'm such a sap.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

jk3
07-28-2004, 05:12 PM
That's so cute about her new kitchen!

DS is walking! He was a late crawler so I thought it would take him a long time to master walking but he has gotten the hang off it. He looks like a drunken sailor-so cute!

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

deborah_r
07-28-2004, 05:27 PM
One of Kai's favorite things right now is to rock back and forth rapidly in his high chair. It becomes ever so much more amusing to him if DH or I rock back and forth too. I was wearing him in the Ergo on my back last night and I would rock a little then he would laugh and rock back and forth. He laughs and smiles so much more now than he used to - I used to kind of worry about him, but not any more!

He is trying to talk, he says apple (app-pah), water (wa-wa), ice cream (ice-kee), and DH taught him to tell the dog "get!" He really loves to use that one. There are more words, especially da-da, but I can't think of them all. He never says mama anymore, if I say "say mama" he says "da-daaaaaaaahhhhh". The only sign he seems to be attempting is bird, and he doesn't put his fingers up near his face when he does it. In fact, it looks pretty much like his "bye-bye" wave, but I can tell the difference, especially when he is running after the birds in the park and doing it!

He likes to make loud "ahhh" noises in the hallway of our building, which could be a problem if we ever want to take him out really early in the morning because it is *loud*! He likes the echo I think. he was doing it in the library yesterday in a section that has an amazing echo :(

Andrea, I totally understand where you are coming from - sometimes I just want to post "I love having this little person in my life so much! He makes every day so wonderful!" I'll have to try to remember this when he is 15 and driving me nuts... :)

Marisa6826
07-28-2004, 06:25 PM
Sophie's new words are "here", "ice cream", "see", "dress" and "kitty".

This morning she was rocking out to Blues Traveler and Springsteen ;).

She's also gotten very adept of getting up on the couch by herself. Getting off, however, is another matter.

I've also caught her repeatedly on all fours on the end tables. Mommy is NOT happy about that.

Another new trick is running down the driveway to meet Daddy, and taking his cell phone out of his pack to "talk" on it. I guess this stems from her demanding to listen on the speaker phone whenever Daddy calls :P.

-m

jubilee
07-28-2004, 06:45 PM
My little guy is learning to be a big helper! He loves to dust with the Swiffer duster, loves to sweep with a little broom, and loves to cook his Little People in a pot (not on the stove!) and stir them with a spoon. :)

He LOVES, LOVES, LOVES to follow me into the bathroom when I have to go. I give him a square of toilet paper and he waits until I say he can throw it into the toilet. Crazy...

Puddy73
07-28-2004, 09:26 PM
What a great thread! Julie, I thought DD was strange for "cooking" her Little People - she and Logan must be soulmates. DD's latest obsession is purses. She loves to take one of my old purses, stuff it full of toys, walk to the door and wave bye-bye. Then she laughs hysterically and dumps out the toys. She also trys to open mouth kiss the dogs - yikes!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle Mae 9/8/03

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

brigmaman
07-28-2004, 09:30 PM
How funny our little guys sound similar! Brig loves the Swiffer too! He also likes to follow me into the bathroom- but now he's learned to flush. Ah...the fun continues!
Brig's newest thing is putting on his rainboots all by himself-even when it's a beautiful day. Today it was raining and as we were driving he said, "Need rainboots!" So cute!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9823.jpg

janeybwild
07-28-2004, 09:34 PM
Great post....I was chuckling at the replies so far. Megan is obsessed with sitting on things....any thing, the odder the better (e.g. the dog, a toy, a sippy, the vacuum cleaner). She will get a Tupperware container out, turn it upside down and try to sit on it. She backs onto it with all seriousness. When her butt pushes it away, she just keeps backing up until she has it trapped and it can't move anymore. Then she crosses her arms and looks very smug. Too cute. I wonder what it means?! :)

Raidra
07-28-2004, 10:06 PM
We just got Colwyn a booster seat, as he had begun to hate his high chair. He loves sitting right at the table, rather than off to the side, and he and my little sister had a screaming match during dinner tonight. He was so crazy I was almost a little worried. :)

This is something he's been doing for a while, but I've been meaning to post and see if anyone else's baby does this. Whenever he's sitting in his highchair, he starts trying to look behind himself, but ends up looking more at the ceiling. It looks like Stevie Wonder playing the piano. Cracks me up.

He's not talking yet (doesn't even babble), but the other day I had been repeating "The doggie says woof, What does the doggie say? Woof!" because we were sitting outside and all the neighbors were walking their dogs. Well, my dad came outside to say Hi, so I asked Colwyn "What does the doggie say?" and he said "Woof!" I was so shocked. I'm sure it was a coincidence because he hasn't done it since.. but every time I ask what the doggie says, he gets this huge grin on his face, kind of like he's thinking "Oh, I know this one!"

rrosen
07-28-2004, 11:33 PM
These are my favorite kind of threads. They always make me smile.

Gabrielle is big into kissing this week. She has learned to blow kisses and is blowing them to anyone that catches her eye. She is also kissing pictures of babies anywhere she sees them, in books, on the yo baby carton, on a first year bag I have. So cute! She has also started kissing her dolls. She is a kissy little girl. I love it!

kitmama
07-29-2004, 12:11 AM
LOL!! This is so sweet!

Simon is working hard on the crawling thing. He scoots backward like a pro, and can roll over and over. He hasn't quite figured out how to get up on his hands and knees yet, though.

He always touches things with one finger, pointing first and then stroking with his first finger before picking them up. He's so careful and interested- it's too cute!

He babbles a lot, but I haven't caught any particular words yet. And when he sees the cat or the dog, he gets VERY excited, bouncing up and down and screeching at them. He also giggles like crazy when the dogs wrestle. Man, I love to hear his giggle!

He can feed himself with a spoon, provided I put the food on the spoon and then hand it to him. After he eats a bite, though, he just drops the spoon! He's also getting pretty good with the sippy cup.

His favorite game right now is to grab parts of my face while I tell him the name of that part- "nose", "mouth", "teeth", etc. He loves it when I stick out my tongue for him and then try to say "tongue"- it makes him giggle!

SeekerMage
07-29-2004, 02:07 AM
hehehehe....we do have the cutest bunch of kids now dont we?

This week Lil'bit not only learned how to crawl and get all over the place...but she also learned to wave. She is soo cute she will hold at her arm and open and close her hand and sometimes wave her arm. She even makes a hhhuuhh sound that sounds like hi when she does it. If she is real excited she will hold out her arm and lay her head on her shoulder while waving, its soo sweet (still trying to get a picture though the stinker always stops when the camera shows up!)

Miss Moose has also taken to "doing her homework" and drawing pictures that actually look like something! Her people are getting really good and she is making complete pictures without my asking. She made me a picture right after watching barbie rapunzel....it was a castle tower with mommy in the window, a door with stairs leading down and daddy outside the castle with a hat on with a feather in it.....daddy rescuing mommy from the castle! The minute she told me what it was (I always ask) I could completely tell without her even pointing it out! That one is getting framed I tell you! Too cute!

steph2003
07-29-2004, 12:41 PM
G-man constantly amazes me & I love being his mommy! Last night I was rocking with him in the glider before bedtime. He had his little blankie/lovey that he put over his mouth/nose & started to wave his arms/legs around like he couldn't breath. So I would pull down the lovey from his face & he would smile....he kept doing this over & over, he was trying to get me to play peek a boo with him :) of course it was bedtime!!!

Torey
07-29-2004, 12:41 PM
I'm serious. Her new favorite thing is to drink out of adult cups/mugs etc. So if I have anything to drink in a "big person" cup (water, lemonade) she wants it. Then she takes whatever she is eating and dunks it in the water, lets it sit there for a little bit and then takes it out and eats it. So she eats soggy water bagels, dipped hot dogs in o.j. yesterday, cherries in lemonade. It's all very funny and messy.

She loves to kiss noses. She always makes a "mmmmmmmhhhhh" sound when she goes to kiss a nose. Loves to kiss cats/dogs/pictures and mommny and daddy. Kissed her great-grandfather yesterday and made his day!

She is such a helper now. If I tell her to take her dirty clothes and throw them down the laundry chute she will. It is very cute watching her reach up to stuff clothes in the chute. She also will help me put clothes in the dryer and even tries to unload the dishwasher. She can take silverware and just barely reach the drawer they go in (of course I still have to sort it into the right places).

I just love this age!!! It is so neat that she actually understands what I am saying, even though she still says very little.

Dcclerk
07-29-2004, 01:59 PM
C is working on his signs right now. For "milk" he fans each finger individually into a fist, and when he really wants it, he uses 2 hands and fans very quickly :) His newest ones are "cheese", "book" and "bird"; he gets a huge proud smirk each time we realize what he is saying.

He has always had a hat obsession, but it is really funny now. He is very likely to walk around the house with multiple hats on his head, and they now are very soothing to him. Often rather than a pacifier (which he can only have in his crib) or his blankie, he now wants a hat when he feels upset. Somehow, if he can look through all of the mirrors in the house and see that he has a hat on his head, all becomes right in his world.

His broom obsession continues as well. Honestly, he sweeps the floor WAY more often than I do. Lately he has taken to bringing me my broom so that we can sweep together. Usually my broom chases his broom around the house and he giggles so hard that he falls down :) I've been trying to encourage this cleaning streak and now have him help me clean up any spills and put away any toys he takes out, too!

I am so enjoying my little guy's character. He has such a fun, quirky personality!

hez
07-29-2004, 04:40 PM
Payton has rediscovered raspberries! The kind you create when you stick your tongue out and blow to make a fun sound :) He's been doing them for about 5 days straight now. Wonder if he'll rediscover the fishy face?

He's doing the drunken sailor walk somone else mentioned. I love it, but I'm still having my mixed feelings about losing my infant to a toddler. He cracks me up when he gets too excited, drops to the floor and crawls as fast as he can because walking still takes too long!

And finally, the thing that makes us laugh the most is that he knows 'open' and 'close'. He opens and closes the drawers and doors in the bathroom as DH and I get ready for the day. He opens a cabinet door, we tell him to close it, he looks up at us and smiles, we tell him to close it again, and he does-- then laughs with us. And then does it again and again and again! I realized today I have toothpaste drips on my shoes from backing away from the sink to watch him do it while I was brushing my teeth.

It's so cool to watch his development.