PDA

View Full Version : Just curious-- do you work in a university setting?

octmom
07-28-2004, 09:08 PM
Maybe it's just that I notice the posts referencing universities, but it seems that there are a number of us who work in university settings. Am I crazy?

I work in university administration. What other areas of various universities are represented on this board?

ETA: DH works at the same university as me. He is the manager of a grant-funded center.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

http://lilypie.com/baby1/041029/3/3/3/-5/.png

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

janeybwild
07-28-2004, 09:18 PM
I hadn't noticed that...I work in a research lab and am finishing my PhD. It will be interesting to hear from others!

jec2
07-28-2004, 09:24 PM
Yes, I'm in "gradual" school. I am ABD and have a couple chapters of my dissertation sitting and collecting dust. I also work in a lab and TA. DH works at a research center on campus and will be starting graduate school in the fall (I'm "trying" to be supportive).

jbowman
07-28-2004, 09:43 PM
Jerilyn,

I was going to post the same question!

I am an art history (assistant) professor. My specialization is the Italian Renaissance (and even more specifically, Rome)!

And Juliet--I just finished my diss. two years ago (and I remember the agony)--the best feeling in the world until Ellie was born!

lmintzer
07-28-2004, 10:09 PM
Slightly OT, but I also did "gradual" school, lol. I began my clinical psych PhD program in 1994 and defended my dissertation while I was pregnant with DS#1. I STILL am not licensed, and here it is 3 1/2 years later. I took 20 months off with Jack and am now spreading my postdoctoral fellowship over 2 years so I can work half-time and be with the kids more. Actually, I should correct that and say that it's now a 2 year and 4 month-long post-doc since taking time off for Joshua after finishing year 1!

I'm not currently in a university setting but have been over the course of my training. I love university communities (especially Ann Arbor, MI where I did my internship and UCLA where I was for my dissertation).

nwaddellr
07-28-2004, 10:40 PM
I am an adjunct at a local private college where DH used to work. I teach in the biology department - general bio stuff since I'm only part-time, but my specialty is aquatic ecology.

DH got a new job last year at a state school (much better money, benefits, teaching hours, etc.) and just finished his "gradual" school (LOVE the nickname) this summer - defending his dissertation in June. He's a statistician, BTW.

jec2
07-28-2004, 10:50 PM
Ugh, somebody tell me there is a light! Or that I'll find the time to work, or that I won't feel like such a mash potato brain forever. I think all my knowledge escaped my body with the birth of DS!

jbowman
07-28-2004, 11:03 PM
There is a light--it will get done. I honestly did not think that I would finish my diss. until the day that I did. I used to have every excuse in the world not to work on it (the gutters must be cleaned before I can write!). I had been writing it for about a year and half when I received a job offer and knew that I had to finish. I worked on it day and night for about 6 weeks and finally finished! Finishing the actual writing was a big deal to me--the defense was a piece of cake! You'll do it!

jd11365
07-29-2004, 12:50 AM
Not a major university, but I will teach an Introduction to Education class at my local college in the fall. I look forward to teaching the class and discussing other things besides The Wiggles IYKWIM... The class runs twice a week for only 75 minutes each. And the best part is the class is during Kayla's naptime!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

JElaineB
07-29-2004, 12:51 AM
I am also an adjunct who teaches biology. But I teach at 2 lowly community colleges :). But one of the colleges is in the same university town where I did my postdoc, so we're a little more cosmopolitan than some community colleges. I finished my Ph.D. (reproductive physiology) almost 9 years ago, did a 2 year postdoc and haven't touched research since. Egads, I feel old now.

edited to fix typo

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

hellosmiletoday
07-29-2004, 02:09 AM
Wow...there are quite a few bio grads here.

I just finished "gradual" school (biomedical research) in May and have no idea what I want to do "when I grow up". Thankfully I have a year to think about it until we move. I wasn't too happy with the long hours, instability of grant funding, etc. I suppose I will do an academic post-doc...hopefully I can find a place that is family-friendly....but after that who knows. I actually like to do research and read papers, but I think I might consider teaching at a liberal arts college. My long term interest was science policy and ethics, but that's not a possiblity since we aren't moving to Washington.

p.s. Labor WAS NOT more excruciating than the dissertation defense. An epidural would have been nice for that event! Glad to be out...there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Mom2Miri
07-29-2004, 02:47 AM
I was an associate professor in electrical engineering at a large public university. Ran a research program in image processing with defense applications and taught both undergrad and grad classes. Gave up tenure and the high-flying career for DH - we had been doing long distance for a VERY LONG time.

Could never have imagined being a SAHM back then - can't imagine still being a prof today. Life is ironic.

Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

Mom2Miri
07-29-2004, 02:49 AM
Lisa,

I grew up in Ann Arbor and loved it! Still miss it like crazy and wish I could go back. I also spent a few years at UCLA. When were you in Ann Arbor?

Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

octmom
07-29-2004, 09:59 AM
Sounds like we have lots of science-minded folks and just a smattering in the humanities. Interesting. I wonder what that says about the kinds of people who are information junkies, as I think many of us who post here may fall into that category.

I did my undergrad degree at a small liberal arts college. Studied journalism and minored in English, American Lit. Did a year in alumni relations at my undergrad alma mater, then a year in the "real" world (scary place!) before I fled to the state flagship university for more education in 1995. I got my MEd in Counselor Education with a focus on Student Affairs/ Higher Ed (strange way of getting at the info I wanted) and took a job at the university after graduation. It's been seven years now and I am in central administration, mainly dealing with development (fundraising) issues.

I have toyed with the idea of going back for my PhD, but it seems more unlikely as each year passes. Work and family occupy all my time now. I'm not willing to give up any family time and my office isn't a part-time kind of place. Since I'd like to have another child in a couple of years or so, I think the chances are slim to none that I will ever go back for another degree. Oh well.

Dh and I both love college towns and can't imagine not living in one. We're such dorks that we have will sometimes take side-trips to other college towns when we are traveling just so we can walk around the campuses and check out the towns. That said, we love where we live and don't intend to go anywhere else for a long, long time.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

caleymama
07-29-2004, 10:10 AM
I always make DH check out the nearby college towns when we travel too! Let me just say he's not quite as enthusiastic about it as I am, lol.
I almost finished a MEd in Higher Ed Administration (long story on the almost) and worked for a few years in Student Affairs. I wasn't happy with the particular job I was in and conveniently got bitten by the mommy-bug and am now home full time. We've since left that area, but I if and when I do go back to work I would love to work at a college or university. I really like the work I did in admissions as an undergrad, so I may consider that. I also loved the stuff I did in academic support as part of an internship, so that's a possibility too. We'll see. I've been keeping my eye on the local community college for any interesting job openings - just in case. I also am toying with if and/or how to finish my degree. Lots to think about ...

aim
07-29-2004, 10:18 AM
I too am in "gradual school" (Communication studies/Rhetoric), I was full time and making lots of progress until I became ABD and now that dissertation is hanging around my neck. I was going to try to get it done before DS was born but then we moved and I have not touched it since. I am planning on being a SAHM while kids are little and soit seems like something I can finish later...we will see. Somedays I am dying to finish and other days I don't even think that I was ever in graduate school for 8 years

Amy

jbowman
07-29-2004, 10:58 AM
I adore college towns--especially since I spent a good deal of time in two great ones IMHO (Bloomington, IN, and Champaign-Urbana, IL)!

BTW--I do seem to be one of the few humanities people here!

brubeck
07-29-2004, 11:49 AM
I teach accounting at a large state university. It's the perfect job because I only have to go in on the 2 days I teach and the rest of the time I am at home with the kids. It's a good combination of being a SAHM, a WAHM and a WOHM. Plus I have a salary (which is very nice) and a life outside of kiddies. :)

octmom
07-29-2004, 11:57 AM
Liz,

I learned through my grad assistantship that I wasn't cut out to deal with student issues on a daily basis. I ended up taking a job in development-- donor relations (behind the scenes) after my MEd, and then moved over to work in the president's office four years ago. I mainly work on alumni/ development issues, write talking points for the president, etc., but I was the office liasion to student affairs too until just recently. We're in the early phases of another major (~$3B) fundraising campaign, so I have handed off the student affairs responsibilities to a colleague while my development work ramps up. I will NOT miss taking calls from upset parents at the beginning of the semester! :)

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

kransden
07-29-2004, 12:15 PM
I am starting "gradual school" this fall and going to work on a M. Ed. I am a web developer and work mostly for Academic Affairs. I like the flexible hours and "mostly" laid back atmosphere. We also have a super daycare and I could go see dd every day at lunch when she was a baby and bf. I could still go, but it is too hard on her when I leave.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

sntm
07-29-2004, 01:59 PM
Yup, I'm a surgical resident at a university hospital and towards the end of a graduate program in Health Evaluation Sciences.

I'm not too surprised by the high number of academics here. All researchers (to a degree), all at the computer a lot, etc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 13 months and counting

lizamann
07-29-2004, 05:41 PM
Biology PhD dropout, here. I spent about 5 years working in universities, between that and working as a tech, before I got into teaching. I really did love the university setting! I've worked at U. Chicago, Wash U. in St. Louis, and UNC - Chapel Hill.

lmintzer
07-29-2004, 10:19 PM
Hi Helen. I was in Ann Arbor two different times: for my undergrad. from 1990-1994, and then while dh was a resident at the medical center and I was on internship from 1997-1999.

I really loved it there as well. I was at UCLA (we both worked at the UCLA Medical Center) from 1999-2001. We lived in West L.A., a few blocks south of Santa Monica Blvd. and west of Olympic. DS#1 was 10 weeks when we moved back to the Chicago area.

Mom2Miri
07-29-2004, 11:42 PM
Hi Lisa,

I did my undergrad in the 80s at UM. Have been going to the football games since I was 3 and have been arguing about starting QBs since I was 8. :) Am starting to teach my DD about football - have to start them young! She knows touchdown and holding and first down so far.

I left UCLA in 99 - lived in Westwood. Was on faculty there and spent some time with the medical folks since I chaired one of the sections of the biomed engr dept. Never did figure out how to get around the main hospital bldgs!

Are you or your DH football fans? Do you get back to AA for the games?

Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

teddy
07-30-2004, 12:26 AM
I did in my pre-mom life and I kind of miss it. I was also in administration, doing governmental affairs and special projects out of the President's office for a state university. I love politics and the mission of higher ed, so it was a nice combination. It's so frustrating when politicians slash public higher ed budgets -- how are universities supposed to prepare the innovators and thinkers of the future!?!?

hellosmiletoday
07-30-2004, 12:29 AM
15% off at Pier One until Sept 26th with Student ID.

Dscvrlifewith3
07-30-2004, 12:42 AM
I don't but my husband plays an instructor on Saturday Mornings at the Univeristy. :)

caheinz
07-30-2004, 02:32 AM
Another biologist here. PhD in entomology, interests in ecology, evolution, and behavior.

In the last days of a postdoc here... and moving in a couple of weeks to begin my new life as an assistant professor!

Going to a smalll, private school. Mainly teaching, and seems to be a pretty child-friendly department. (Dept chair gave me his home number the week I was deciding, since he took spring break off to spend with his toddler son!) Will still be doing some research, but I'm hoping this is a mix I'll love....

"Gradual school" does end eventually... and it feels great when it does!

BTW, I've spent time at UIUC (undergrad days), and loved CU! Been a while now. Spent even longer in Ithaca... which is, of course, gorges. :-)

jbowman
07-30-2004, 10:37 AM
Cheryl--

When did you live in Chambana? I went to grad school there!

caheinz
07-30-2004, 01:32 PM
I was in Chambana from 1989 - 1994. (UG, + a year).

Probably dating myself a bit, at least as a new mom... :)

Hard to believe that it's been 10 years since I've lived in Illinois... (grew up in the 'burbs, like most UI undergrads...)

Bethann31
07-30-2004, 03:28 PM
I run the box office/front end for a theatre company that is a collaboration between 2 colleges in town. Unfortunately, I only get the benefits from one of the colleges, which does not include free tuition for my DH to finish his bachelor's degree. He is going back in Jan, YEAH!!!!

Beth

Josh 3/90
Mollie 4/92
Jeffrey 12/94
and Katherine 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030604/3/4/1/-5/.png

jbowman
07-30-2004, 04:30 PM
Cheryl,

Not dating yourself at all--I started undergrad in '89! Then I began grad school at the U of I in the fall of '93! Heck, it's hard to believe that it's been more than 10 years since I STARTED grad school!

As a TA, I remember almost everyone was from the Chicago 'burbs!

octmom
07-30-2004, 04:33 PM
I'm the same age too! Finished HS in '89, undergrad in '93. Worked a couple of years before getting a master's in '97.

Funny how I used to think I'd have all my kids before I was 30. I didn't have #1 until age 32.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

jbowman
07-30-2004, 04:38 PM
I had Ellie 6 days before I turned 33! I never even thought I'd have kids! The only thought that I had about my future is terribly silly: I will turn 30 in the year 2000 (really deep thought, LOL!). It's funny (and great) how life turns out!

caheinz
07-31-2004, 03:08 AM
Heh... I've always found it convenient to have been born in a year ending in zero... (obviously 1970, since I was also on the '89/'93 graduation schedule). Of course, being born near one end of the year helps... the math to figure my age in any given year is easy!

So, is it sad that I've actually thought it a little sad that DS wasn't born in 2000, to have it even easier? (Though, I'll admit, I have no desire to wait until 2010 if we go for #2 a little down the line...)

jbowman
07-31-2004, 10:26 AM
That is funny!!! ITA! DH and I were married in 2000, so it's easy to remember how many years we've been married!

octmom
07-31-2004, 10:40 AM
Though I am on the 89/93 schedule, I was born in October 1971. Guess school cutoff dates were different in my town. Of course, it meant I was the last of my crowd to turn 21 in college. :)

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

jbowman
07-31-2004, 10:43 AM
My DH is an Oct '71 baby and he graduated in '89 as well...so even though we were graduated at the same time, I'm the older woman (by 10 months), LOL!

tarahsolazy
07-31-2004, 11:57 PM
Me, too. I am finishing a neonatology fellowship on Oct 15th, and have to defend my MPH thesis (epidemiology and biostatistics) before then. Funny how there are always excuses for not writing. I will then go to start a job as an assistant professor of Pediatrics at U of Iowa. I did my undergrad and med school in Madison, WI, another great midwestern college town. DH and I are excited to get back to the Big Ten. (Not sports fans, just that atmosphere, KWIM?) Lots of bioscience types here, alright! I am a tiny bit younger than some of you guys, HS class of 90, BS 94, MD 98. I never imagined I'd have my first kid at 32, and still feel like a kid myself! (and not be finished with "school", despite never having taken a break)

anutalp
08-01-2004, 02:09 AM
I'm an Internal medicine resident in the university hospital. Also did Master in biochemistry while in the med school.
I've got a right feeling even before the post that we have highly educated and intelligent moms on this forum!