PDA

View Full Version : Upscale Registries

Fairy
07-29-2004, 12:51 PM
Hi there. I posted this on another forum, and it didn't get much play. Trying here.

I'll be registering for my baby shower soon, and I'm interested in anyone's experiences with products (bedding, clothing, etc.) from the high-end companies, such as Pottery Barn Kids and Land of Nod. Also planning on registering at Babies R Us for some basics, like mattress pad, etc. But for clothing, bedding, and accessories, I would like to register for some higher-end products. Questions are:

* Any suggestions for places to register?
* How was the customer service?
* Was it easy to see a registry online, etc.
* Any suggestions for high-end clothing registries? Other than Bloomies or other Dept. stores?

Many thanks for all your comments!

emilyf
07-29-2004, 12:53 PM
I think Babystyle is a nice place to register if you think a lot of people will buy online.
Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02

steph2003
07-29-2004, 12:59 PM
I didn't register at Land of Nod but I did order bedding from there when I was trying to decide between a Land of Nod print or one from Babystyle. The Land of Nod bedding was very nice, seemed to be well made & bumper was fluffy/well padded. I ultimately ended up going with the babystyle stuff - had no problems sending other stuff back to Land of Nod & getting my card credited.

Babystyle does seem to have a lot of nice stuff online like the PP mentioned.

khakismom
07-29-2004, 01:01 PM
When I was pregnant with my first, I registered at Babycenter and PBK (the registry was brand new at the time), in addition to BRU. I received gifts from both places, esp. from people out of town who were sending gifts in the mail.

At both places, the CS was great and it was no problem to see the register online, and even to actually register online (Babycenter's).

As for clothes, I didn't register for any clothes other than the basics--gowns, onesies, rompers etc. But perhaps Babystyle might be a good place?

HTH!

Marisa6826
07-29-2004, 01:03 PM
OK - Going to be honest here, so I hope I'm not stepping on your toes.

The only problem with registering for places like PBK and LON is that they're almost exclusively online. I found that a lot of the older gift givers (read: ones that will spend the cash) had no clue as to how to shop online. If you DO want to do the online thing, babystyle.com is a nice place to start.

BRU is OK, but they're notorious for crappy CS, their return policy has gotten somewhat questionable lately (esp. if you don't have a receipt, regardless of whether or not you have a registry there), and there have been some bugs in their baby registry itself (logging multiples of items by mistake).

As far as high end clothing goes, I think you're better off leaving it off the registry. You'd be AMAZED at the questionable taste of some people. In addition, you will still want to shop for clothes yourself - just to get out of the house after the baby is born! Also, the babe will grow sooooo quickly the first 6-9m, it's kind of a waste to spend hi-end cash on clothes that will be spit up on, peed/pooped on, and grown out of in a very brief period of time. Honestly, you will get the most wear out of sleeper suits in the beginning. I know they're not fancy, but I learned the hard way that you will change outfits several times a day in the beginning and for the first several months, all the kid basically is, is a meatloaf in a dipe ;).

Do you have Buy Buy Baby near you? They're kind of similar to BRU, but a little more upscale and immeasurably more knowledgable than the brain trust at BRU ;).

-m

llcoddington
07-29-2004, 01:22 PM
I agree with Marisa. The only people who bought items online for me were people my age or younger! My aunts and grandparents all purchased from stores they could go to.

I know a lot of people buy expensive, nice clothes for their newborns, but I wouldn't. Lauren had reflux and threw up massive amounts everyday for 4 months. She lived in sleepers and onesies and even many of those were ruined. Not to even mention the poop!

Buy Buy Baby is a wonderful place to register if you have one near. It's my very favorite store!

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

Tondi G
07-29-2004, 01:49 PM
I didn't register there but I have a Pottery Barn Kids store right down the street. I love the store, their customer service is great! We bought DS's bedding from them and also twin sized sheets as well.... have always been happy with the quality!

I would also suggest Baby Style.... my neighbor registered there online, but now they have opened a store and she has bought a ton of stuff from them. Her DS always has the softest tshirts/onesies from there. She says their CS is excellent!!!

I would go to BRU and register for basics.... like you said! Don't shy away from brands like Carters completely though.... my DS wore Carter onesies for a long time... they were always soft and comfy for him! Keep in mind you will need bottles,nipples, pacis, burp cloths, washcloths, baby feeding items(cups,bowls,spoons etc.) bath items, baby toys, a bouncy seat, swing, DS loved his Tiny love gymini, exersaucer.... all from Babies R us! Can't hurt to have a few different registry's going..... you might find someone buys your kiddo an outfit from Babies R us that you fall in love with!!!!!

Good Luck

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

bunnisa
07-29-2004, 06:13 PM
I also agree with what Marisa said. In my case, I registered for nearly everything at BRU since everyone is familiar with it. Maybe this sounds very wrong, but I ended up returning a lot of items, mainly because I continued to do research and changed my mind. Some things I returned and repurchased later since they weren't needed right away, and just took up space in the meantime (like the Bumper Jumper & Hook-on High Chair).

I don't know what to say about BRU's return policies -- I have never had the slightest problem, and they've taken everything back (including a used lightweight Combi stroller I could not stand) no questions asked. Honestly, I think your experience will depend on the SAs at your individual store.

I have used my store credit for lots of things, like the EuroTub Infant insert (which came out after my shower), a new Pack n Play when we moved (left the first one with my parents in MI), washcloths, shampoo, etc. I found we spent quite a lot on misc baby stuff after DS arrived. Also, I've used store credit to buy gifts off other friends' registries. I JUST ran out of store credit a month ago. It was great to have!

All of the stuff that couldn't be purchased at BRU I bought myself. I did recieve a lot of money at my showers, so that helped. I was able to get exactly what I wanted, and at the best prices by ordering my Zippy, Amby Hammock, RA, Medela PIS, etc. online.

Bethany
It's a Boy!
William Eric
6/03

sadie427
07-29-2004, 10:09 PM
I agree w/ the PP about high-end clothes, but I'd still recommend registering at Babystyle. They do have the traditional high-end brands like R. Lauren and Le Petit Bateau, which I did not register for, but they also have their own line of clothes which I recommend highly. I registered for some stuff from the "softest" line--onesies, blankets and little caps--high quality soft cotton in interesting colors. It's sized well too, in 0-6 mo and 6-12 mo, the 0-6 mo was too big for the first month or two but then fit for quite a long time. It actually isn't too expensive for the quality, and they have an overstocks page, so I've bought some of it myself too. They also periodically have cute shirt and pants sets. It was actually my student friends who bought us a lot of that stuff, just got a onesie and blanket or cap, probably because it really does look nice, and is easy to order. I also registered for a nice Gymini from there, which someone got us.

Mommy_Again
07-30-2004, 02:36 AM
a few comments:

1. You CAN still register for some high end items at Babies R Us. I know they carry Peg Perego, MacClarren, etc. (Gear only, not clothes).

2. USA Baby is another chain store with high end items (no clothes, though, at least at the store near me). Not sure where you are but they have a bunch of locations: http://www.usababy.com/aboutus/stores/index.html

3. If a lot of your older (richer!) guests live in your town, visit your local upscale baby boutqiue, if you have one. Most now offer a registry, but if not I can't see why they wouldnt let you leave a list with them of things you want.

4. If you pick clothes out, definitely go for 6 month and bigger, and don't take the tags off until you are ready to wear. You'll be amazed at how quickly you'll grow out of them. I also didn't develop my "taste" for what I wanted DS to wear until he got a little older.

Jen in Chicago
07-30-2004, 10:08 AM
We have PBK and LON here, but just registered at BRU b/c that is what people know. I personally only registered for things we NEED when raising a baby. I did not put the big ticket items (or splurges) on the registery, we bought those ourselves where we wanted to buy them.

Sorry to offend anyone, but I see showers as a place to get your essentials for raising a baby. Essentials are numerous, but don't have to be designer items. Not everyone will go off the registry, so you can get random special items from a variety of places.

BRU or related stores allow you to get your pack n play, bottles, burp clothes, onesies, Carter sleepers,... and later if you want something "special" you put the baby in the stroller and get yourself out of the house, or shop on-line while babe naps. You will love excuses to get out and about, and ironically fussy babies become ANGELS when you walk out your door.

We never had a problem with BRU for returns. You get credit, but you can ALWAYS use something from BRU. It is kind of like Target and Costco, you can't get out without spending $50.

Happy planning! What a fun time for you.