PDA

View Full Version : Your son's first haircut ?

votre_ami03
07-29-2004, 02:21 PM
Nolan is definitely ready for his first haircut.

Did you take your son to a real Barber or a kid's/regular salon? Did their father take them?

Nolan's dad has been itching for me to get his haircut for mos now. I was planning to take him to Cool Cuts 4 Kid's, but thought maybe I should let his dad take him to a Barber? Is it that ceremonial or am I thinking too much? :D

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030722/1/7/2/-7/.png

peasprout
07-29-2004, 02:27 PM
We went to Costco and bought a set of clippers and did it ourselves! ;) Actually, DH cut it. DS was only a month old and had hair growing over his ears so we wanted to do it ourselves rather than try and prop him up at a real salon. Plus it saved us a lot of money. He's almost 4 months now and has already had three haircuts from daddy!

JP

cchavez
07-29-2004, 02:41 PM
Diego was about 9/10 months when he got his first haircut at Cool Cuts for Kids. DH went with us and we videotaped it and took pictures. My tempermental son screamed during the entire ordeal. He has had 2 other hair cuts since then (w/o DH in attendance.....less of a wait during the week) and the screaming is getting a little bit better. All of the kids from our playgroup get their hair cuts at Cool Cuts.....they do a good job!! Good luck!

mharling
07-29-2004, 02:51 PM
We did some trims ourselves, but his first official haircut was at a kiddie place and dh came along. His second haircut was at the place I get mine cut. It was $7 cheaper than the kiddie place.

I suggested going to a barber for the first one, but dh didn't like that idea. Not sure why.

Mary
Lane 4/03
#2 on the way!!!
http://lilypie.com/days/050302/0/0/1/-6/.png

slknight
07-29-2004, 03:02 PM
We just went to a regular salon where I get my haircut. DH and I both went, so DH could hold Alex, and I could take pictures. :-) The best part was that my stylist (LOL - if you saw my hair right now you'd never know that it's EVER been styled) didn't charge us anything. Gotta love a small town.

Momof3Labs
07-29-2004, 03:15 PM
Colin goes to a barber shop. It is about half the price of the kiddie place, and he loves sitting in the chair next to Daddy while they both get their hair cut!

Momof3Labs
07-29-2004, 03:15 PM
hiccup

kelly ann
07-29-2004, 03:19 PM
We bought clippers and did the first few haircuts at home. And then DH went overboard and gave DS a crew cut. Since then we have been going to a regular haricut place. I love not having to clean up the clipped hair at home now and our son doesn't leave looking like a monk.

amp
07-29-2004, 04:26 PM
My DH was the one who wanted Jake's hair cut, but it wasn't very ceremonial or anything for him. It was for me. We brought the camera and took lots of pics and we kept a lot of the hair they cut off. The person who did it was my DH's hairstylist. It was not a barber, but a female stylist that my DH has been going to since before Jake was born. So he's been at her salon and around her, so it wasn't a scary thing for him. He did get a little freaked out in the chair, but DH kneeled next to him and let Jake pull a comb and pen in and out of DH's pocket to distract him. Worked like a charm.

Ask your x if it's important to be there for this, or go get it done yourself. Do not just pass it off on him, just in case he doesn't care one way or the other. You are going to want pics and locks of hair on this momentous occasion.

FYI - The kids places do often have fun things, like videos or tv to watch to distract them, which might help. We've never gone there though, so I can't vouch for them.

Good luck! And post pics if you can!

ETA: It was free that day, since she was happy and excited to do it, but even when she charges us, it will be much cheaper than the kids place.

hez
07-29-2004, 04:27 PM
We did it at Disney-- Harmony Barbershop on Mainstreet. DS's cousins had theirs there, so we made it a family tradition. They did a good job, made a big deal (we have First Haircut ears & a certificate). Now, next haircut-- I don't know where we'll go. Probably where DH goes.

Jen in Chicago
07-29-2004, 04:31 PM
We had a fun family outting to Snippits which was fun. I would go somewhere for kids. I was SCARED to do it myself, he is a mover and shaker.

ethansmom
07-29-2004, 09:44 PM
We went to a regular salon that advertises they do kid cuts. It was recommended to us by a mom friend. They booked us with a woman who had a 2 yr old, so she was fantastic! We sang songs etc to distract him and he sat on my lap the whole time while dad took pics.

A friend had a bad experience that made me glad we went to a kid-friendly place. In her culture, the first hair cut is very special and there is a ceremony. Well, the buzz of the clippers scared her son and he screamed the whole time. I was very impressed that our stylist called the electric trimmer thing "ticklers" and before using them (after she used scissors) asked if he wanted to feel the "ticklers" on the back of his hand, so he'd know they don't hurt.

lmintzer
07-29-2004, 10:12 PM
Jack didn't need a haircut until he was over 2 years old, lol. We took him to Kid Snips, another one of these gimicky kid places where he got to sit in a toy car, watch a video, and have bubbles blown to distract him. He's a really sensitive kid, and we really were hoping this would be a positive experience. Turns out he did great! We still get his hair cut there to this day, and he is always excited to get a red balloon, and now, since he turned 3, a lollipop.

$17 seems like a rip off for a 5-10 minute kids' haircut, but it's worth it to have a happy, comfortable child.

JElaineB
07-29-2004, 11:57 PM
I took him to a kids hair cut place when my mom and dad were visiting. He was 14 months old and had very curly hair that was starting to get longish. I didn't want to cut it off, but my parents wanted to see him get his first haircut so we went (at least they paid for it!) We got the whole package with the lock of hair and post-haircut picture and certificate. He stood up in the chair and was hysterical the whole time. It was worse when I held onto him so my dad had to hold on to him while he was standing in the chair. I gave him a bottle after and that helped calm him down.

He's had about 2 or 3 other haircuts but luckily those were at my MIL's house. Her niece is a hairstylist so she brings her stuff over and cuts DS's hair for free. I haven't been there for them he sits in MIL's lap and sobs while the cutting is going on but I think he gets over it pretty fast when it is done.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

C99
07-30-2004, 01:38 AM
...was about a month ago. His great-grandfather (used to be a barber) cut it, in keeping with family tradition. It was mostly ceremonial as he didn't really need a haircut -- just got the burgeoning mullet trimmed.

But if it wasn't traditional to have my husband's grandfather cut Nate's hair and if he wasn't experienced at cutting toddlers' hair, I would take him to a place that specializes in babies that age. My impression of barber's shops, based on the few that I've been in and the treatment I received there, is that they are places for "the boys" to talk baseball/football and women. I don't know that a barber would really cater to a (protesting) toddler.

wagner36
07-30-2004, 01:45 AM
I am DYING at the phrase burgeoning mullet. Too funny...

pixelprincess
07-30-2004, 02:45 AM
hi christy,
Rowan has had two haircuts already at 13m! I took him to a place that specializes in kid's haircuts which was a lot of fun! They had cars and ponies that the babies got to sit in and watch Baby Einstein while getting a cut. It helped keep him entertained...well, at least for the 1st cut (the 2nd one didn't go as well). I captured it on video, dig camera, and my 35mm camera...covered all bases...LOL. They also gave us a certificate with a polaroid pic and a lock of his hair- nice little memoir for his album.

good luck with the cut!

here are a couple of pics

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9927.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9928.jpg

C99
07-30-2004, 02:53 AM
My pleasure. It must be the insomnia.

jamsmu
07-30-2004, 10:57 AM
We did this last week! We were at the Ritz Carlton in Amelia Island and figured, if you're going to get it done, get it done right! So we went to the salon and DH sat in the chair with DS on his lap. I squatted infront of DS and sang songs. About half-way through, he started enjoying it. I brought my mom to take pics.

Unforetunately for those in the salon trying to relax with a pedicure, DS made a lot of noise in the beginning--luckily we knew most of the other people there!

Grace_underfire
07-30-2004, 11:42 AM
We went to a kids place. He watched baby Mozart and did not make a peep. He was a really good boy. Enjoyed sitting in the silly car even. Anyway my DH and I both went and we took three cameras. The digital camera, the film camera and the video camera. :) I almost cried. My son was 7 months. Since I have done a trimming with regular scissors. I think I am going to get some for hair cuts and do most of the trimings myself as the children's place costed $14 bucks or so and his hair grows pretty fast. I might take him every 4 months or so but in between we can do them at home watching baby mozart in mama's salon :)

jk3
07-30-2004, 12:29 PM
We did it ourselves on his first birthday. We took pictures and di the best we could. It came out pretty well. I'm nervous to take him to a stylist because I'm not thrilled by any of my friends' children's haircuts. The stylists cut babies hair (especially boys) way too short. We like his longish locks!

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

tippy
08-01-2004, 12:47 AM
Too cute! What a nice looking place. The "kiddie cut" place near our house is tiny and dirty looking. It's always crowded and looks nothing like your pics :-( That said, the expression on ds's face in your first pic is priceless. My DH has been bugging me to get ds's hair cut. I'm afraid they will cut all his curls off. He definately needs a trim in the back and sides but I want some of his curls to stay!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10021.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10022.jpg
BAD HAIR DAY!