PDA

View Full Version : Power ports on airplanes

JElaineB
07-31-2004, 02:18 PM
I have never before brought a "portable electronic device" on an airplane but will be bringing a portable DVD player on a trip I am taking by myself with DS in a couple of weeks. I checked and the seats I am in have "power ports". I would like to use those while we are on the plane instead of the battery. Do I just have to bring the AC adapter that will run the DVD player? It has a regular plug - will that plug into the power port on the plane? I have used it at home just plugged into the wall and it works fine. It is a regular sized plug, not a big plug, though it does go through the battery charger to work. Thanks for any info!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Sarah1
07-31-2004, 02:34 PM
Jennifer--you need a special adapter, not just the AC adapter. A friend of mine said the power ports are like the cigarette lighter "port" in a car. Here's a link to what they look like:

http://www.portabledvdstore.com/cfsdvd/12volcaradfo.html

JElaineB
07-31-2004, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the link. I have a cigarette lighter adapter but it looks like I'll need something else for airplane use. I never realized there was a special adapter for airplanes. Thanks!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Zansu
08-01-2004, 05:25 PM
Jennifer

Also be prepared that your row on the plane may not have a power port. Older planes only have them every few rows, if they have them at all. And some of the smaller planes do not have them.

Make sure you battery is charged, and check to see if your screen has an adjustable power setting, so it doesn't use as much juice.