PDA

View Full Version : Advice Re: Daycare--transistion from in-home and timing for 18 mo old.

smkinc
08-01-2004, 02:37 AM
We've been very fortunate to have a family friend watch DS since I returned to work (we pay her), but she just informed us she will be moving on (she is willing to work things out with us until February, but would prefer we find alternative care sometime in October).

I am leaning towards a daycare setting. I work 3 full days/week and DH also works PT (out of town 2 nights/week), but is currently looking for a full time job closer to home. I have asked several Moms for references of daycare centers in our area and DH and I will be visiting several sites next week. From what I have learned, I have several options for PT care.

Here's where I'm seeking advice:

1. SIL has her children in a daycare. She likes it, but says she doesn't like the teachers in the toddler room as much as she used to (DS's cousin is 8 weeks younger and they would be in the same room). How much should I weigh the fact that he'd be in the same room with his cousin vs. how much we like the teachers?

2. If I was thinking only of my/DH's schedule, I would prefer to go with 3 full days of care/week. But I'm worried about DS napping at Daycare--he naps okay at home, but I just don't know how he'll do at another place. We will definitely start off with 3 half days/week (so DS can nap at home) and juggle our schedules to make it work until January and then I will need to transition to more hours in daycare. Would it be better to go with the 3 full days or should I request a change in my schedule at work to 5 half days?

3. I'm still finding out which centers have openings for his age group and when, but once I decide on which one we'll go to, should I move him sooner or later? In one fell swoop or should I ask our family friend to still help out 1 day/week for awhile?

TIA,

Mary
Mom to Jeremiah 2/4/03

JElaineB
08-01-2004, 09:09 AM
I don't have a ton of experience with day care, I've only used an in-home provider, but I can tell you for #2 not to worry about him napping somewhere else. When I started taking DS to daycare part-time I worried about napping too because he would only fall asleep with someone holding him, then we could put him down, and I knew that wasn't going to happen (at least not for very long) at daycare. But he napped fine there, better than at home! She was able to put him down and he fell asleep! So you never know, that might just not be an issue at all.

For the others, no personal experience but I think having his cousin in the same room would be nice but it wouldn't be the deciding factor for me (unless you might be able to car pool with SIL etc. and thus have it much more convienent). I would probably just move him in one fell swoop, so he gets used to a new routine. That said I do have 2 different caregivers for DS (MIL and daycare) and he does just fine at both.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02