PDA

View Full Version : How do you dress a 22 month old in snow weather?

himom
08-01-2004, 10:06 PM
I realize it sounds like an ignorant question, but I honestly don't have a clue how to dress him for the cold. We'll be in Chicago, other parts of Illinois, and Indiana during December and January. The warmest clothes we've ever had to put DS in were a sweatshirt and jeans. He wears velcro sandals everywhere since it's too hot for shoes. The only hat we have is a sun hat. Now I have to come up with stuff to keep him warm for two weeks in winter, and I haven't the faintest idea where to start.

Is there any way I can do this without having to buy an entire set of clothes? The coldest it ever gets here is low 60s, so I could also use suggestions on good places to buy stuff.

I'm not even sure what to get for me and DH for warm clothes, but at least we'll know when we're cold and will be able to do something about it. I'm mostly worried about how to make sure Josh is comfy and ready to have a good time. Any suggestions?

TIA!

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003

Roleysmom
08-01-2004, 10:39 PM
Hi, Jodi. Well, I can speak for Chicago, not necessarily other part of Illinois or Indiana. Chicago is cold, due in large part to the winds off of Lake Michigan. We can have very high wind chill factors (in the minus double digits.) As you start to travel south in the state -- say Springfield which is 3.25 hours away (you probably don't have to go that far)-- I think it's significantly warmer in the winter. I'm sure there are others more in the know on that. I personally think the coldest months are January and February. If my recent history serves me right, our Decembers have been mild.

I'd say that outerwear for Joshua is the most important thing. At 22 months, I would do something like a LE Squall jacket and snowpants. You could also do a snowsuit, we had a down LE one that worked great for Roley's first winter but went with something more waterproof with easier access for her second year when she was much more active. You'll want something with a water repellant outside so it doesn't get soaked. You may be able to get buy without the snowpants, especially if you are only here for a couple of weeks. Roley only wore hers a couple of times during all of last winter. And, if they fit Josh, I'd be more than happy to lend them to you (they are bright red.) I'd offer her winter coat from last year but it's bright pink, so maybe not! Maybe you could find a good buy on LE overstocks now and then ebay it when you are done with it? Or maybe look on Ebay directly?

I don't think you would have to buy any inside clothes. Jeans, long sleeved t-shirts will be fine. If the coat has a hood, you don't have to worry about a hat. Some coats also come with mittens built-in, so you could be okay there too. You will need heavier shoes, but could get away without boots, I think. (We also have practically untouched boots that you would be welcome to borrow if they fit. They are navy blue. (I like primary colors!) Some folks might suggest fleece for outerwear, but I personally think that may not be warm enough. But, I'm always cold!

I hope that helps -- let me know if you are interested in borrowing any of these things.
Paula-- mom to Roley Julia, January '02

August Mom
08-01-2004, 10:48 PM
Well, if I lived in Chicago, I would get a winter jacket (probably fleece lined with a nylon outer shell). We got one by Columbia that was great. A lot of people like the LE Squalls. I would also get winter boots because the chance of snow in Chicago in December/January is high. We got ours at SR, but they are available at lots of places. I also would get snow overalls and waterproof mittens. If the hood didn't fit well, I'd probably get a fleece hat too.

But, since you are only going to be visiting, you could probably get away with regular shoes -- either a gym shoe or casual lace up or velcro shoe with somewhat heavy socks. However, if you are envisioning him playing or walking in the snow, then he really should have boots. As far as the coat, I think the lightest you could possibly get away with is just a fleece jacket and then wear layers under it. But, Chicago winters can be frigid and that may not be warm enough. You could also look at the 3-in-1 jackets (they have them at CP and Gymboree) where you can wear different layers for different occasions or can wear them all together. CP had them for $19.99 last year, which is a good price for a coat. That way, you might be able to wear the inner layer by itself at home when it's in the 60s. He will need something to cover his head - either a hat or hood. Gap usually has nice hats. And, he should have mittens.

You can save money by waiting to buy when it's closer to winter. Right now, everything will be full price.

Good luck.

JElaineB
08-02-2004, 09:33 AM
I live about 2.5 hours west of Chicago in Iowa. I would agree for indoors long pants and long sleeves are fine. I often dress DS in Hanes sweatpants in the winter. Warm, comfy and cheap. I will be getting more for this year for DS soon. I bought them at Target last year. Their sweatshirts run a little small, but I will probably get a couple of those too.

For outerwear, I have fleece coveralls from LL Bean (16.95 on sale, there is a free shipping code in the Bargains forum). DS will be wearing this almost exclusively in late Dec, Jan and Feb. However they only go up to 2T so if you need 3T for winter those won't work for you.

[link:www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=37771&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=5457&cat4=5448&shop_method=pp&feat=dp32|Fleece coveralls at LL Bean]

When not wearing the coveralls, I have for him a Lands End Infant/Toddler Squall Parka. They are on the Overstocks page right now under Outerwear in 2T and one pattern in 3T for $39.50 (reg. $64.50). They were a lot cheaper a few months ago (on winter clearance) and I got 2 in different sizes for $16 each. Some people even got them for around $8 at Sears. So the current price isn't the best. Anyway, a type of jacket like this would be a good idea no matter what. If you want him to be able to play in the snow you would want to get snowbibs in addition to a winter coat. There are some on Lands End Overstocks for about $30, but I am waiting for the price to come down. If it doesn't I will probably buy some cheap ones at Walmart or something. You could definitely wait to buy those at a store when you get there, you won't be needing them right away or all the time.

You will also probably need some type of snow boot, but only if you are going to let him walk through or play in the snow. Again, you could buy something when you get there. Anything with reasonable insulation and easy on/off should be fine. I had Lands End Snow Flurry Boots last year and will probably be getting the same or similar this year.

And don't forget to get some mittens and a hat!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

emilyf
08-02-2004, 01:56 PM
We often use cotton pajamas as a long underwear layer in the winter. If it's not really freezing, long underwear plus jeans and a warm sweater or a jacket plus a hat and mittens would probably do it. I would try to borrow a snowsuit and boots if you think he'll be doing a lot of outside play in the snow.
Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02

himom
08-10-2004, 10:19 AM
Thanks all!

What about hats? I assume his ears need to be covered, is that true?
TIA!

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003

August Mom
08-10-2004, 10:42 AM
If you wind up with a coat with a decent hood that fits, I think you can skip the hat. Otherwise, I like the fleece pilot style hats that cover the ears really well (if Josh will tolerate a chin strap).

sadie427
08-10-2004, 01:47 PM
For cheap stuff I'd try children's place right before you need it (they had a great sale after christmas last year, but I think some stuff goes on sale before then) and Target. We got those snow-overalls at Target for like $3 on clearance, but I think they were only 10 or 15 regular price--you could scotchguard him if he's really going to be playing in the snow. You really don't need special clothes for indoors, just long sleeved t shirts and jeans or pants, it's usually overheated inside.