PDA

View Full Version : Bitty Baby???

heidis2girls
08-02-2004, 04:47 PM
I'm thinking of buying my daughter a Bitty Baby for her 3rd birthday this month. Can anyone tell me their experiences, likes and/or dislikes with Bitty Baby and her accessories, i.e. furniture and clothing?

Also, is 3 a good age for Bitty Baby? Do you think 5 is too old for Bitty Baby? (My other daughter will be 5 in September, so I'm anticipating her wanting one as well!)

TIA!

urbanmama
08-02-2004, 05:03 PM
Heidi,

We LOVE the Bitty Babies in our house!! We have most of the accessories (we have some clothing, the crib, the changing table, the high chair, the stroller, diaper bag and feeding items).

I bought my older DD one when her sister was born (she was 2 years 9 mo. at the time) so she could have a baby to take care of too. She loved it! I love how you can choose a baby who looks like your child (eye and hair color and skin tone). The baby looks pretty life like too. When my second daughter was a newborn, there were several times that I would catch a glimpse of Bitty Baby out of the corner of my eye and think it was my daughter.

A month or two before my 2nd daughter's first birthday (she is 15.5 months now), she fell in love with my older DD's Bitty Baby. So, I got her one for her 1st birthday. (I know they are recommended for age 3 and above, but I can't really see the danger involved unless her eyes popped out and I don't think that is likely to happen.) So, now they both have a baby. They play with them all of the time. My older DD takes her doll to the mall in her stroller a lot too.

I would think that your 5 year old would enjoy one as well, but I don't have a 5 year old so I'm not sure.

Marie

Elilly
08-02-2004, 07:49 PM
DD received a bitty baby last Christmas when she was a mere 13 months old! She loves it! We don't have the american girl accessories but we purchased numerous accessories at Target for about 1/2 of the american girl prices. Colleen loves to push her baby in the stroller and feed her bottles. I have never worried about the safety of the doll even when she was just a little over one.

redhookmom
08-02-2004, 08:03 PM
What is a Bitty Baby?

urbanmama
08-02-2004, 08:09 PM
Bitty Baby is a doll that you can buy at americangirl.com.

redhookmom
08-02-2004, 08:39 PM
Oh, thanks.:-)

Bearhut
08-02-2004, 08:56 PM
I don't think 5 is too old at all. My 9 year old neighbor got the bitty baby twins for Christmas last year and had to come over and show them to my DD.

ColorBlue
08-02-2004, 11:44 PM
We have the bitty baby for my dd who will be three in november...she got it at her last birthday. We also have two inexpensive fisher price dolls (my first baby? about $15). I really can't see the benefit to having the expensive doll. The doll is no better made than the cheap fisher price dolls and believe me they get used and loved by my daughter a lot. Also I don't like that the bitty baby's head seems to get scuffed really quickly. I must admit that the accessories are really cute, we have the stroller and the basket that came with clothes and other stuff in it.

Now that I'm thinking about it we did have to return a bitty baby because she was falling apart rather quickly and some of the clothing ripped right away (i believe a bathrobe and socks). They also gave my SIL a bit of a run around when trying to exchange it, can't remember the details.

Also, I don't think five is too old.

HTH

Tracy

dd Grace 11/01
edd 11/04 twin girls!!!

Mommie2MadLyn
08-03-2004, 12:14 AM
DD has a Bitty Baby which she received when she was a little over 2 years old. She loves the doll and all of the accessories are SO cute. It is expensive though, so we leave the buying of new accessories up to Grandma! ;-) Also, my neice is 7, and still LOVES her Bitty Baby.

marinkitty
08-03-2004, 12:39 PM
I'm planning to get DD a bitty baby for Christmas (she will be 21 months).

I don't really think bitty is better than many other cute dolls I have seen, but my mother seems to be ga-ga over American Girl so I think she will enjoy buying outfits and accessories, which is fine by me. I do know a couple of people who have had to send their AG dolls to the "hospital" to get something repaired, which I imagine is a pain, but they do come back bandaged up in a hospital gown with a little medical certificate - very cute.

I think your 3 year old is definitely old enough since many girls around here seem to get them around two years old (we are in Chicago where it seems everyone has an AG doll since they have a big store here) and judging from my brother's daughter who is almost 6 and my cousin's twin girls who are 7 and all still love their bitty babies, 5 is not too old.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)
Another March baby EDD (3.23.05)

http://lilypie.com/days/050323/0/0/1/-6/.png

loewymartin
08-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Alia received her Bitty Baby on her second birthday. She also received a highchair (Graco) and a stroller (Maclaren) and a few of the AG outfits. I have since purchased a few other outfits on sale and have saved them for future gift giving. My mom is also making some clothes.

I think it was definitely worth it for us. Alia loves "Katie" and brings her everywhere. The clothes wash nicely and are well made IMHO. The size is just right for her to lug around (we even bought the backpack to carry Bitty baby in but the straps are still too long).

I would recommend the doll - and at 3 I think she would love it. A friend's daughter has BB and 2 AG dolls. She started with BB, and as she got older wanted the historical dolls and the books that go with them. She is now 8 and still plays with them (actually, she received the first AG doll at her birthday last year and purchased the second AG doll this spring "with her own money". And still has BB from when she turned 2).

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02