PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Ralph Lauren suede paint?

NancyJ_redo
08-02-2004, 06:47 PM
I think the finish looks so cool and I love the colors they have, but the method to apply it looks a little difficult. We're hiring someone to paint so presumably he'll have the skills to apply it, but I'm wondering how easy it is for the process to go awry.

Have you done it? Do you like it? Will it actually look like the photos they have in their glossy materials?

Marisa6826
08-02-2004, 06:56 PM
I did it in the bathroom of our old condo.

It looks very cool, takes FOREVER to do properly and doesn't wear very well. My cleaning lady scratched up the finish just by propping a mop up against it. The mop slipped, and there was HUGE scratch where the mop pole slid down the wall.

It's not hard to put up, it's just very tedious.

Sorry! I'm sure that wasn't the answer you were looking for.

BTW - the colour I did was a dark mossy green. Can't remember the name. It was truly beautiful. I got many compliments, but the maintenance of it was just not worth it.

-m

NancyJ_redo
08-03-2004, 01:15 AM
I KNEW you'd know it Marisa!! When I was posting I thought of you and Neve, thinking one or both of you might have used it. Thanks for the comments. I think it looks so cool, but I was a little worried about the application. I didn't even think about the upkeep. And we're doing a pretty big room with it - our new master bedroom. But I love the look so much that I'm torn. Ahh what the hell...I'll get DH to redo it if we have to. I'm all about the suede :)

bunnisa
08-03-2004, 11:27 AM
We used it on 2 walls of the dining area in our old house. We chose a dark olivey green.

It turned out really well, and I didn't think it was difficult at all to do. We got compliments on it all of the time. One thing to be aware of, however, is that it is scratchy and will scuff furniture that rubs against it.

Bethany
It's a Boy!
William Eric
6/03

aim
08-03-2004, 12:03 PM
My mom did it in her guest room and it was time consuming (but not hard), but the finished look is great. I love the Rl paint textures, I did a huge wall the leather texture in a dark blue in my old condo. It was hard to get right around the edges, you really needed three people to keep the process going so that the glaze didn't dry before you stippled it...anyway, the people who bought the condo said that it was one of the things that they loved most about it.

Amy
DS Bennett 1-14-04

blnony
08-03-2004, 12:04 PM
Our masterbath is done in this, and we haven't changed it since we bought this house. I think it looks great, and its worn fine, I can even wipe it off with a damp cloth. I think they had it professionally done b/c it looks flawless.

Marisa6826
08-03-2004, 02:09 PM
Nance-

One thing to keep in mind is that you will have to sand down the wall if you choose to paint another colour over that suede finish in the future.

I think the suede paint has some sort of silica in it, since it really is a gritty texture.

Don't get me wrong. It's a very cool paint, it just isn't as maintenance free as the regular everyday Benny Moore stuff ;).

Knock yourself out!

-m

Marisa6826
08-03-2004, 02:09 PM
Nance-

One thing to keep in mind is that you will have to sand down the wall if you choose to paint another colour over that suede finish in the future.

I think the suede paint has some sort of silica in it, since it really is a gritty texture.

Don't get me wrong. It's a very cool paint, it just isn't as maintenance free as the regular everyday Benny Moore stuff ;).

Knock yourself out!

-m

steph2003
08-03-2004, 05:11 PM
My DH & I must be inept at the Ralph Lauren suede technique! I love the look & we tried to do it in his office but we could not for the life of us figure out how to apply it correctly! So I'd recommend you hire someone if you can :) we nearly got a divorce trying to apply the stuff. In the end we ended up just painting his office a chocolate brown which we both love now but I had my heart set on the Ralph Lauren suede look....and couldn't afford someone to paint it for us. I hope it turns out good for you - it is a cool look.

steph2003
08-03-2004, 05:11 PM
My DH & I must be inept at the Ralph Lauren suede technique! I love the look & we tried to do it in his office but we could not for the life of us figure out how to apply it correctly! So I'd recommend you hire someone if you can :) we nearly got a divorce trying to apply the stuff. In the end we ended up just painting his office a chocolate brown which we both love now but I had my heart set on the Ralph Lauren suede look....and couldn't afford someone to paint it for us. I hope it turns out good for you - it is a cool look.