PDA

View Full Version : Going to LA and Disney Land in September, help with hotel choice pls

boys2enough
08-04-2004, 05:03 PM
We are going to LA in late September (DH is going to a conference there and we are tagging along). When his conference is in session, we will be staying at Embassy Suite LAX North to be close to the conference site. Doesn't seem like there is much to do there, (it's near the airport! lol).

After the conference, we plan to move to a different hotel and spend some time in Disney Land. (DH also wants to visit the Universal Studio. Are they close to each other?)

Do you think we should stay on site in a Disney hotel? I would love the option of going back to the hotel for DS2's naptime while my 6 yo and DH stay at the park or wherever.

I've never looked into Disney visit before, and now I lost my high speed internet connection so cannot really do on-line search as much as I want to. Any suggestions about the hotels, things to do, Disney Land, Universal Studio, anything that comes to your mind really, will be greatly appreciated! If I could just get some ideas to start, I can then concentrate my on-line search on the things that you ladies here suggest. It is a PITA to wait and wait and wait with this slow dial-up conenction I am using now.

Thank you all so much!

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/pnoodles.gif

heidis2girls
08-04-2004, 06:05 PM
We go to Disneyland every winter after visiting my in-laws in Palm Desert. I would definitely stay in a Disneyland hotel! It is great to be able to go back to the hotel easily for naps, etc. We go back to the hotel mid-afternoon to just relax. My girls don't nap anymore, but we just relax, maybe go to the pool. It is nice to get away from all of the noise in the park, too. It can get overwhelming for the little ones.

We stayed off-site the first time we went and I told DH that I wouldn't do it again! It was such a pain to take the shuttle, we had two strollers, one toddler and one infant and it wasn't fun! We got so frustrated waiting for the shuttles (which fill up very quickly) that we walked about a mile to Disneyland! I ended up with a huge blister and was not happy with DH for suggesting we walk!

We have stayed at Paradise Pier and the Grand Californian. Both are closer to California Adventure, actually the Grand Californian is right in the park. You can walk right out of the hotel to the entrance. Both are a short walk from Disneyland. We've always walked to Disneyland, we have never taken the train. We've always had a stroller so we prefer to walk.

Both hotels are wonderful, but given a choice I would stay at the Grand Californian again. It is beautiful and they have lots of great activities for the kids. They have movies in the lobby and story-telling every night and lots of other activities. The pools are beautiful and have water slides and jacuzzi's (sp?).

That said, it is more expensive to stay in the park, but you can get good deals. DH booked ours last year through the Disney website (disney.com, I assume) and he was able to get 4 nights with 1 night free, 4 day hopper passes (to go between Disneyland and California Adventure) with one day free, lots of coupons, free stuff and specials, etc. I don't remember exactly how much he paid, but it was worth it to us.

I don't know how far Universal Studios is from Disneyland, though, sorry!

HTH!

jubilee
08-04-2004, 06:26 PM
The last time I went was about 2 years ago, and I just want to say avoid the Annabella Hotel. Yuk! The carpets left black on our socks simply from walking around in our room.

Anyway, have a TON of fun!

Tondi G
08-04-2004, 08:49 PM
Hi there! I live in Los Angeles and we have annual passes to Disneyland so we are down there quite often!

We've stayed in the Disneyland hotel and it was WONDERFUL! I would stay there again in a heartbeat.... I highly recommend it! I've also heard fabulous things about the Grand Californian! If you don't mind the extra expense I woudl stay at one of these two..... it is just so convenient and the kids LOVE it! I don't know what my DS liked better... D-land or the neverland pool with the little kids slide!!!!

as far as other hotels in the resort area.... I've stayed at the Howard Johnsons (just be sure to ask for a room as far away from the freeway as possible). The Sheraton Anaheim looks very nice from the outside (English manor style) and I remember reading pretty good reviews about it. They offer a shuttle to the park. My friend also stayed at the Hilton, the room was nice and big but the wait for the shuttle was LONG!

I would recommend looking on the website Tripadvisor.com for travelers reviews of all the anaheim area hotels!

Also look at Mousesavers.com and Mouseplanet.com

Ooooh and Universal Studios and Disneyland are anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour away from eachother! and no there isn't much to do around the airport.... maybe go to the beach!

Good Luck... HTH's you and if you need anything else feel free to ask!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

Jeanmick
08-04-2004, 08:51 PM
The Disneyland Resort Hotels is a good choice, but they're more pricey than other hotels in the surrounding areas. In terms of cost, the Paradise Pier Hotel is least expensive, Disneyland Hotel the "medium" price DL Hotel and the Grand Californian the most expensive of the three. If cost matters to you, then you might try some of the hotels within walking distance. The following hotels are on Harbor Boulevard, which borders Disneyland:

Howard Johnsons-Anaheim (7-10 minute walk from the front entrance at Disneyland). I've not stayed there yet, but I've heard nothing but good things from people who have stayed there. We'll be staying there next month too! :)

Park Inn and Suites-Anaheim (5 minute walk from the front entrance...right across the street from the main gate).

Carousel Inn and Suites (also right across the street).

KIM that Park Inn and Carousel Inn and Suites are not a Westin/Sheraton/Hilton type hotel. I'd say they're more along the lines of a Holiday Inn, but they're clean, quiet, VERY close to the DLR and significantly cheaper than staying at a DLR. For example, a suite (one bedroom and attached living room area w/ pull-out sofa bed) at the Paradise Pier costs $360/night and at the Disneyland Hotel, it's $412/night. And these prices are with an Disneyland annual pass member discount! The Howard Johnson hotel has a similar sized suite for $159/night with an AAA discount.

But, I do have to add that staying at one of the hotels at the Disneyland resort does add to the experience! We enjoyed our stay at the Paradise Pier Hotel and Disneyland Hotel! :)

If you have do have internet access, go to:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/find.cgi?product-category=Disneyland%20Resort%20%2F%20Hotels

The above is a link to reviews of hotels in the area.

Mouseplanet.com is a great website for information about the DLR and can also give you ideas on what to do in the area too.

HTH and have a great time!

jec2
08-05-2004, 02:16 PM
I would vote for the Disney hotel. When my family went I was about 10 and had just as much fun at the hotel as I did at the park. I loved that my brothers and I could jump on the tram to fit in one more roller coaster ride before bedtime and my parents didn't have to go (although, my oldest brother was 17 at the time and old enough to take me and my other brother without parents :))

boys2enough
08-05-2004, 02:40 PM
Heidi, Julie, Tondi and Jeanette, thank you very much for helping me out.

I stayed up until 2:30 am to reasearch for a hotel. This has become my latest obsession. The Disney resort hotels look really nice, but I really thought about it and decided that we need a suite type place in order to get any sleep. My youngest will not sleep if there is any light or sound or person in the room. SIGH.

I found out that HoJo actually has suites available. Upon learning that the price is almost double of a single room, I am now considering the option of getting 2 adjoining single rooms, maybe the ones with the DL view.

Jeanette, could you please let me know how you like the HoJo after your trip? I'd really appreciate this.

I will also appreciate any more advice. Now off to do more on-line research! :)

ETA: thank you Juliet! Yup, the Disney hotel looks so much fun. But their suites are soooo $$$$$. I am thinking of reserving a character breakfast for DS1 though, to make up for staying at a non-Disney hotel. Good thing he does not really know about the Disney hotels. ;-)

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

NancyJ_redo
08-05-2004, 03:56 PM
I'm a native LA-er so I can help answer any questions you have, with the exception of hotel info since I've never stayed in one here :) But it seems you've gotten great advice above. And as for the distance between Universal Studios and Disneyland, they are definitely a good hour apart as someone suggested, but it's not a bad drive. The freeway essentially makes it door to door, so it's certainly doable. And as for staying near LAX, there's lots to do around there if you like the beach! LAX is right at the beach, though the beach just below it isn't necessarily where you'd want to hang out since planes take off directly overhead. Instead, drive about 10 mins south to Hermosa Beach. You can walk around and hang out on the sand. Or, head about 15 mins north and go to Venice Beach, definitely great for people watching and walking around.

Feel free to email me if you have any specific questions.

Jeanmick
08-05-2004, 03:57 PM
No problem Lin! BTW...if you want to stay at the HOJO's, mousesavers.com has a special going. The rooms rates are much cheaper than the AAA quote. Unfortunately, it's not applicable to the suites...I already checked. :(.

Here's the link:

http://www.mousesavers.com/hojo.html

Hope this helps you!

Jeanette

boys2enough
08-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Thank you Nancy. You know, I am such an idiot for not even thinking of bringing our bathing suits! I was just all so blinded by Disneyland fever. lol.

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

Melanie
08-06-2004, 02:37 AM
One of the DL hotels. I think Paradise Pier is the farthest from DLand and there is NO tram. I believe there are packages for those who stay at the hotel and go to the park.

ETA - yes, nothing near the airport, but Santa Monica is not far (I THINK). Will you have a car and do you mind city driving? If not. There's some nice things there and I just found out an indoor playround (Bright Child) near the 3rd street promenade. That's a fun area...also right by the beach. (ETA, it is about 20 min. from LAX).

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif

boys2enough
08-06-2004, 03:24 AM
Thank you again, Jeanette. CYE please.

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

boys2enough
08-06-2004, 03:28 AM
an indoor playround (Bright Child) near the 3rd
>street promenade. That's a fun area...also right by the beach.
>(ETA, it is about 20 min. from LAX).

I will have a car since DH will be at the conference all day. An indoor playground sounds nice. Do you have more info on it? I don't mind driving (I kind of have to anyway if we want to escape the hotel), but I cannot parallel park. (don't laugh). Will there be any parking lots or just street parking? I've got out of the car and asked people to park my car for me before so... lol.

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

juliemiya
08-06-2004, 04:15 AM
Check out the Long Beach Aquarium. A fabulous place to take young boys. Fish, sharks, turtles, and an interactive hands on area where they can pet sting rays, etc. It's about 20 minutes south of LAX.

Marina/Mother's Beach
Admiralty Way x Via Marina, Marina Del Rey
about 7 minutes from LAX
many moms and kids go there. no waves, just a perfect cove. small playground there too.

have fun!
julie

Melanie
08-06-2004, 12:30 PM
http://www.brightchild.com
I have not been there yet, but a friend has.

I can't parallel park either! My friends laugh at me b/c I have to look for a place with 2-3 car lengths to curb park. There are several parking garages in the area for the 3rd street promenade, if bright child does not have their own. I'd recommend calling first, anyway, to get the best route and you can ask about parking.

>an indoor playround (Bright Child) near the 3rd
>>street promenade. That's a fun area...also right by the
>beach.
>>(ETA, it is about 20 min. from LAX).
>
>I will have a car since DH will be at the conference all day.
> An indoor playground sounds nice. Do you have more info on
>it? I don't mind driving (I kind of have to anyway if we want
>to escape the hotel), but I cannot parallel park. (don't
>laugh). Will there be any parking lots or just street
>parking? I've got out of the car and asked people to park my
>car for me before so... lol.
>
>Cheers, Lin
>Mom to 2 wild boys
>D 3/98
>G 11/02
>
>http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/pnoodles.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif

mom2kandj
08-06-2004, 06:19 PM
Lin -

I wouldn't pay extra $$ for DL view rooms! The only way Hojos has view rooms is to look over a very loud and busy street to the sidewall of Disneyland and Monorail above. I've attached a link to that specific hojo. The DL view is the pic title Main Pool Area(Views).

http://www.anaheimhojo.com/

If you do stay in the Anaheim area, your best bet would be to give DH the car (to drive up to LA)and you could make the short walk with the boys to DL. Basically it is a quarter mile to the front gate. I worked at the happiest place on earth until 18 months ago and I could go on and on... PLMK if you have any more questions!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

NancyJ_redo
08-06-2004, 06:37 PM
Street parking generally sucks there - it's a very popular area (this part of SM, the 3rd Street Promenade is just a block over) so it's difficult to find any street parking. But...fear not, as Melanie said there are lots of multi-level parking structures there where you pay by the hour and, there's one directly across the street from Bright Child.

Bright Child is the type of place where there are ladders, ball pits, jumping air things, tunnels to climb through, etc., and the best part about it is that the adults can do it with the kids. It's one of the hotspots for bday parties in the area.

westchicagomom
08-07-2004, 04:29 AM
Unless things have changed since I lived there - just don't go swimming if it has rained recently. They used to dump lots of storm overflow into the Santa Monica bay.

I lived on Venice Beach and the people watching is definitely interesting although if you are there during the week, it used to be pretty dead. Ummm and if you are there during the weekend then it can be a bit scary! It is a couple miles south of Santa Monica. I used to stroll that stretch of beach every single day watching the dolphins feed but that might be a bit of a walk for your kids.

I absolutely LOVE Santa Monica - I think it is probably your best bet for keeping the kids entertained, all the activities are relatively close together (less parking!) and it is relatively close to LAX. Just bring your running shoes because if you let your kids loose on that beach they can run for miles! :)

OH and definitely get yourself a good map and familiarize yourself w/ LA (at least where you are going) before you arrive. It is such an unbelievably huge metropolis it can be very overwhelming. Fortunately Interstate 10 dead ends in Santa Monica at the gorgeous, gleaming Pacific ocean (can you tell I miss it!) so that one's a no-brainer!