PDA

View Full Version : Need help sorting through part-time job options...

s_gosney
08-04-2004, 06:41 PM
I'm kind of on a posting frenzy this afternoon it seems!
I have several options and am trying to make a decision...any insight is appreciated!

1. DD's daycare is ran by our church and we also have a very small school there. I can teach one class a semester (90 minutes a day, M-F) or two classes a semester. They will give me free daycare as part of the deal. I would only have 2-4 students per class, so not much time grading.

2. Grad assistantship--there are several to choose from, none of which are overly exciting IMO. They say you are to work 10 hr/wk, but I don't know if it's exactly 10, or sometimes more or less.

3. Kaplan test prep courses--I don't know how much they pay, but it would hopefully only involve one night per week. Daycare not needed be DH will be home.

So....Teaching one class at the private school and the grad assistantship work out to be about the same $ after I deduct daycare expenses from what the university would pay. I'm stuck because I have no idea how hard my classes will be, so I don't know how much to commit to. I can get financial aid, so I don't suppose I really NEED any of these jobs, but I'd rather us live on as little loaned money as possible.
Right now I'm leaning toward just committing to teaching the one class at the private school and then leaving the other options open for later decision. Maybe something easier/more interesting will come up in the way of GA positions later? I can just go ahead and do the Kaplan interview too just to see if it pans out.
One last thing...even though the GA positions are in my department, they really have nothing to do with my particular interests. Would the GA position still look significantly better on a resume or do you think it would matter? Just fyi, my interests are in parent and life skills education, so the other two options have a little relationship to that in that I would be facilitating a classroom/small group environment.
Sorry for rambling...I'm driving myself crazy analyzing this, so I thought maybe some of you all would have some insight to add. TIA!

jbowman
08-04-2004, 07:08 PM
Sherri--

I would take the GA b/c I think it will look the best on your cv/resume and it may put you in a position to receive better GA positions in the future. Above all it will put you in constant contact with professors--people who will be writing you recommendation letters for the jobs that you really want! And who knows--maybe you'll get a fellowship or something else down the road b/c you impressed the right profs, etc--and you gained valuable experience at the same time.

In grad school I was a TA and I don't think I ever worked in my specific area of interest--that didn't matter--the experience of working closely with profs was what mattered.

Just my two cents!

Good luck!

Marisa6826
08-04-2004, 07:39 PM
Don't know what to tell you, but when Jonathan interviewed with Kaplan, the pay was pretty small, and they don't guarantee you hours. At least they didn't a couple years ago.

-m

jec2
08-04-2004, 11:11 PM
I agree with Jill. Good experience, potential for new and exciting research or tasks, looks good on the resume and you will get a feel for what you like/dislike as far as your area of specialty. Sometimes you get Profs that don't have you do much work (but still get paid), which can sometimes be a blessing when you have "life" outside of school keeping you busy.

JElaineB
08-04-2004, 11:21 PM
I would go for the grad assistantship. It will look better on a c.v. and will possibly get you some good references from professors in the future.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02