PDA

View Full Version : I'm having a mini-panic attack - can you help?

mattysmom
08-05-2004, 08:42 AM
Tonight DH and I are leaving ds (18 months) for the first time for more than just a day as we are going to a wedding in CA (we're in Boston) for 4 days. I thought I was fine - I can sleep late, read a book, hang out at the pool... but this morning when I dropped dh at the train and he said goodbye to ds I burst into tears (and did so again as I write this and think about it!)

We are so fortunate to have both of our sets of parents locally and they are splitting the time and taking care of ds at our house so I'm not really worried about ds, but rather how am I going to handle being away from him for so long?

I'm bringing about 50 pictures, but is there anything else that people find helpful? I couldn't sleep last night just thinking about having to leave him... and I really didn't think it would be so hard. My heart is racing and I think I'm going to be on the verge of tears for the next 6 hours until I leave... agh!!

And to top things off, ds has been an ANGEL the past week - sleeping well, being SO wonderful and happy... I was hoping he'd be a pain so it wouldn't be so hard to leave!

Thank you for any advice!

toomanystrollers
08-05-2004, 11:27 AM
Take a deep breath :) and enjoy the time with your husband. I'm sure your son will have a wonderful time with his grandparents.

Have a great trip!

barbarhow
08-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Big hugs to you. I started to cry while reading your post as I am leaving DS for the first time this weekend, too. I am going down to Mass for a tennis tournament. DH will be home with him so I am not at all worried about Jack (well maybe a little). I feel pretty sad about it, too.
Now I am coming up with all of these solutions (not at all possible) to how I could go down a day late....etc.
I have a feeling that once I get into the moment I will be able to forget and enjoy myself. I know that DS will have a ball-his cousin is coming to stay with him, too. I hope you can enjoy yourself in between pangs of broken heartedness.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

aguinn
08-05-2004, 11:42 AM
just remember that parents need their own time too! take a few deep breaths and know that DS will be treated like a king by his very doting grandparents while you and DH get to "rekindle the flame" with some "just two" time.

i recently went away for 28 hours, leaving DS with DH for the first time for that long. i was really nervous about it, but i ended up really enjoying myself and relaxing. it was nice to know that DS was safe and happy and cared for, and i didn't have to worry about diapers or making a next meal or picking up toys.

bringing pictures is a good idea, but don't get carried away - let yourself relax and enjoy your DH and the wedding. you'll be back to real life soon enough!!!

btw, i'm in boston, too (north shore)!

;)amy
proud momma to DS

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030729/1/5/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif One Year & counting...

amp
08-05-2004, 11:58 AM
Awww, hugs! Your post created panic in me, and I'm taking DS with me this weekend!

Okay, take this with a grain of salt, since I've never left him overnight before....I think leaving will be the hardest. Once you've been gone an hour or two, I think you'll adjust and won't be so sad. When I left DS for just a few hours before, the leaving and the anticipation was the hardest. Once I was away, I didn't even want to call to check on him for fear I would hear crying and my anxiety would rise again. I was better able to convince myself he was fine in my head once we were separated. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck! And try to enjoy the time alone with your DH! It could be really sweet and romantic!

lukkykatt
08-05-2004, 12:08 PM
Well, you will all be fine! So, after your initial cry (which is totally normal), relax and have fun! Think about how much fun it will be to see your son again, and in the meantime, enjoy yourselves!

The first time I left my son (at 3 months), I cried all the way to Bermuda - literally (to the horror of DH). I was even showing a picture of my son to the stewardess :)

What my SIL did that was GREAT was to take video of him at her house every day. I loved watching it and to see what he was up while we were gone. Could your IL's do that for you?

Hugs,

mattysmom
08-05-2004, 02:40 PM
Thank you for the support and the advice! I especially love the idea of having my parents/inlaws take some video each day so we'll be able to see what he was doing while we were gone. I'm also a little obsessive and set up an email message for them to write us an update each day (since DH has a blackberry for work).

Thank you again for your help - I really appreciate it!

NancyJ_redo
08-05-2004, 03:37 PM
I have to travel for work occasionally, just one or two day trips, but everytime I leave I cry and get VERY sad about leaving DS. It absolutely kills me. But you know what? Once I arrive I usually appreciate some of the downtime. I don't mean that to sound bad, but really - the anticipation of it all is the worst. Once I'm away it's kind of nice to lounge at a bookstore or go see a movie. Granted, I've never been away for more than 2 nights max and it's always for important work meetings so during the day my mind is pretty much occupied with work by necessity, but it does always surprise me that the anticipation of leaving DS and being without him is the worst part of it. And, we always have great snuggle time when I get home :)

heidis2girls
08-05-2004, 04:00 PM
I just left my two girls for the first time for 4 days and they are almost 3 and almost 5! I went to visit extended family in Mississippi with my mother, grandmother and brother (we're north of Boston). I was upset about leaving them for weeks before I actually left. The night before I left, and the morning I was leaving, I was crying to DH telling him that I didn't want to go! Once I was there I was fine, although I missed them terribly. I brought lots of pictures and showed them to anyone who'd look!

It was nice to have some downtime, too. I was staying with my aunt, my mother and my grandmother and nobody moved quickly in the mornings! It was nice to just relax on the couch watching the Today show and not have to worry about anyone else but myself for a change!

Have fun and enjoy the time alone with your DH. Your son will be fine and you'll be SO happy to see him when you get home!

HTH!