PDA

View Full Version : To Tippy: don't read if you don't care to: Aids, heart disease etc

JulieL
08-05-2004, 02:03 PM
>>>>But there are many people dealing with many aweful illnesses and I'm not so sure it's fair to say one suffering is above another.>>>>

Um, I never said that! Where did I say that? – Tippy this is where I got that opinion

>>>>>>Well heart disease still is the number one killer in America. >>>>>>Perhaps we need to look at the state of funding for that >>>>>>terrible disease as well.

How you could compare Heart Disease and AIDS is beyond me. We are talking Global Pandemic here. Oh, nevermind. I'll just let your message speak for itself.

Actually if you want to talk global epidemics on a larger global spectrum clean water would be one way to help, http://www.watercan.com/issues/uncleanwater.shtml , http://www.cesr.org/PROGRAMS/H2O%20Fact%20Sheet1.pdf . Unclean water reachs more people than aids. Ok does that devalue the sufferings of aids patients and their needs no, they are just as important even if a smaller group. I got very angered by your comment because you seemed to say aids was worse than heart disease. Well that isn’t a fair statement. Ask the millions who have lost loved ones to it. According to the CDC in 2001 heart disease accounted for approximately 29.0% of deaths among U.S. residents. See http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5306a2.htm, if you don’t believe me.
Aids killed 501,669 Americans in 2002, see : http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/stats.htm. Both statistics are devastating don’t you think? Those dieing from unclean water is heartbreaking. So maybe when trying to help a particular cause we shouldn’t in the same breathe devalue another. We should all try to help a cause for our world benefit, don’t you think? So if someone wants to put info out there to bring compassion, or knowledge maybe it shouldn’t be in the light of it being more dramatic than another.

My apology about saying you were on a bandwagon. If my child, my friend, my husband or myself had a disease you bet I would be campaigning for it. I would be trying to raise money for research and much more because when it affects your life it brings it home in a very real way. So I am sorry because bandwagon sounded, well bad, like you didn’t have a reason for feeling driven. For instance I am so glad we are raising money for Samuel and his family through BBB, what a great cause. If you info on aids that you would like to share do so, and in a way where other diseases can have there place and needs as well, and politics are aside. It isn’t your cause that got me flustered but the way you presented it. So I am done and hope at we can understand each other better. Moderator if I am out of line with this post please let me know. I don’t feel like I am but if I am I will delete it.

pritchettzoo
08-05-2004, 02:40 PM
If this is in fact directed at one person and not designed to "stir the pot," don't you think it would be better handled by email or PM?

Anna

luvbeinmama
08-05-2004, 03:01 PM
Well, this is a continuation of "discussion" in another thread, so I think it is fine that it is here.

tippy
08-07-2004, 04:00 AM
Ya know, it was actually Flaggers comment above that got this whole thing snowballing into this mess to begin with. I posted a link to a site that pointed out discrepensies between statments President Bush had made about HIV/AIDS funding. That was the point of my thread. I stated how upsetting this was to me (since I am directly touched by this particular disease). I don't think there was anything wrong with my doing so. Flagger then brought up heart disease and how maybe we should look at the state of funding for that. Why, I'm not sure but he did. I wasn't posting to say that HIV/AIDS was worse than heart disease or any other disease for that matter. The point of the thread was to bring attention to the claims the addministration was making about funding. I already said in my previous post that if they had made the same type of claims about Heart Disease or Breast Cancer funding and you know those claims to be innacurate than I would totally understand your concerns about it. How about we just let this rest ok? You are obviously misunderstanding where I was coming from and I really don't feel like I need to defend myself or apologize to you any more than I already have.