PDA

View Full Version : OT: Moms of Girls, any truth to keeping hair short to make it thicker??

JMS
08-06-2004, 01:29 PM
Both my own Mom and my SIL swear that if you keep your baby/toddler's hair short (above shoulders) that it will end up being thicker. Of course my Mom keeping saying "look how thick your hair turned out" (it's not that thick, but genetically could have been much worse). But how can I really know whether she is right or wrong, KWIM?
DD probably has a 50/50 chance of getting good thick hair to begin with and it's really starting to take off. Not that I am anywhere near her first haircut, but I was just thinking about all of this after her bath this morning.

Any knowledge/opinions??? TIA!

dotgirl
08-06-2004, 02:11 PM
Cutting your hair blunts the ends - which can make it appear thicker. However, just like hair colour and hair type (straight/curly), the thickness of your daughter's hair is determined genetically.

There are shampoos you can use which will also make hair look thicker, but that's because they leave residue on the hair shaft.

Anyway, hope that helps!

dowlinal
08-06-2004, 02:11 PM
I think that the hair "looks" thicker if its kept short because its all one length verses all different lenghts due to natural growth rates. KWIM? BTW - I'm a little envious of the fact that your daughter has hair since we're stil pretty much peach fuzz.

C99
08-06-2004, 02:16 PM
Uh, no! I always had short hair as a kid. ALWAYS. And it's never been thick. It's superfine and super straight. I've tried everything to thicken it and nothing works because having superfine hair is just in my genes. ;-)

momma_boo
08-06-2004, 02:27 PM
I don't have the answer, but I do know that there is an Asian version of this "old wives tale" that you need to SHAVE the baby's hair off so that it will grow back thicker. One of my Chinese co-workers has been getting pressure from her family to shave her DD's hair but has been resisting.

mamicka
08-06-2004, 02:35 PM
I never had short hair until high school... & my hair is very thick. Not that it proves anything... just an example. I've always pretty much thought it was genetic - so I'd say don't worry about it.

Momof3Labs
08-06-2004, 03:09 PM
Hair cutting has no impact on thickness - how would your hair follicles know what is going on at the other end of things?? But cutting the hair does make it look thicker since it tends to get straggly and uneven as it gets longer.

pamela mom of 3
08-06-2004, 04:13 PM
It can make it appear fuller ;)

Both my girls have fine, thin hair...my first took years before she really had a good head of hair and even at that it's not even alot, my 2nd dd got hair a bit faster but still on the whole she has fine hair and not much of it.

My hair is fine but i have a fair bit, the girls seemed to pick up DH's mothers hair which isn't that full or thick, my son on the other hand LOL has great hair which figures!

So that is my hair experience :D

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-ppstrollers

MartiesMom2B
08-06-2004, 05:22 PM
Hmmm, maybe I should thank my mom for that god awful Dorothy Hamil bowl for my thick hair. Seriously, it sounds like an old wive's tale.

Sonia http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/1/character03.gif
Proud Mommy to Martie
http://lilypie.com/baby2/030406/3/4/3/+10/.png

khakismom
08-06-2004, 05:54 PM
>Hmmm, maybe I should thank my mom for that god awful Dorothy
>Hamil bowl for my thick hair.

You too Sonia? :D Oh yeah, I had this hair-don't for about 8 years, basically until high school.

miki
08-06-2004, 11:10 PM
My head was shaved at 1 month because of this tradition. I have the thickest hair I've ever seen. Every time I go to a new hair stylist they comment on it. But I think I would have had this hair even without the buzz.

Marisa6826
08-07-2004, 12:27 AM
Well, I always had very fine, straight hair growing up. I cut it off short (a la 80s ;) ) all through high school. When it grew out my senior year it became a mop.

I now have an absolute ton of hair, and curiously, it's gotten wavier with each progressive pregnancy.

Sophie's had two hair cuts (the last one was a bit of butcher job by a PAID stylist), but I've noticed that it's a lot healthier than when it was its orginal toddler mullet style. Maybe it's just because it "swings" a little better now that it's got a line to it.

-m