PDA

View Full Version : painting apt while pregnant???

marchmommy
08-07-2004, 12:18 AM
Hi--I've scheduled a painter to come paint two rooms in our apartment tomorrow b/c we are readying our place to go on the market. I am 7 months pregnant--and I don't know how long I need to vacate the place. Is one night enough?? If I open up all the windows?? I'm thinking of just cancelling the whole thing--(the painter is fitting me in, and I just scheduled it a day ago.) I don't want to expose my preg. belly, or my little DS to any poisonous fumes. The painter mentioned a special paint he could use that doesn't have chemicals, but he said it's designed for people with asthma, which didn't really make sense to me - didn't sound like it's a paint that's necessarily safe to be around if you are pregnant. Any advice is much appreciated as my only chance to cancel is early, early (before 9 am) tomorrow!!!

Marisa6826
08-07-2004, 12:23 AM
Latex paint isn't a big deal. The fumes on the newer paints are not bad at all, and the paint should be dry in a couple of hours.

Open a window and you will be fine.

I had Sophie's nursery done when I was about 7m preggo and stayed in the condo that night. I just closed the door to her bedroom.

-m

DebbieJ
08-07-2004, 01:46 AM
Heck, I painted the nursery myself while preggo!

Marisa's right, the latex fumes are not toxic. You should be fine.

~ deb
Mommy to my sweet boy
B born 12/03
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10023.jpg http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

westchicagomom
08-07-2004, 04:01 AM
I am a believer in limiting exposure to chemicals so if he can use the paint w/o a lot of chemicals in it and you won't be compromising on quality, etc. then I would go for that. The reason it would be better for you being pg as for an asthmatic is because of the VOC's (volatile organic compounds) that are given off which would be what you are inhaling. I wouldn't say they are poisonous, but they can be an irritant.

Regardless I would definitely air out the place and keep any doors closed (if possible). If it were me, I probably would spend a night away and have my DH crank up the AC w/ the windows open just to get maximum ventilation/offgasing.

I am sure it is safe - it is more likely that it will make you feel sick because I know when I was pg the first time, my nose was really sensitive.

Definitely don't cancel though - better to do it now rather than later.

StaceyKim
08-07-2004, 05:20 PM
I have had painting done while I was pregnant and I left my house and stayed at a friends place for a couple of days because I was paranoid about the fumes (even though I was assured that they were not harmful). I left the windows open to air my place out. While having DD's room painted I just shut the door and opened the windows for a few days. I also heard lighting a candle burns the fumes.
HTH

crl
08-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Here's a link to EPA's website with a discussion of VOCs. Personally, I'd probably take the painter up on his offer to use low or no VOC paint and air the room out for as long as you can.

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/voc.html