PDA

View Full Version : So, does your child love you more when you are cooking?

vpalmer
08-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Case in point: last night my DD and DH were playing with Mega Blocks happily for quite a while I was on the computer. I got up to cook dinner and my DD could not get to me fast enough. She is adamant about being on my hip while I am cooking. She won’t hardly even let my DH hold her while I am cooking, and playing independently while I am cooking rarely happens. Finally my DH did take her outside which worked for a little while until she decided she just had to come back in to see me! I don't mind holding DD while I am cooking; it is just that I worry about her getting hurt. There are so many opportunities for her to get seriously hurt while I am cooking and I worry I am putting her in danger to make her happy. UGGH! I know there has to be a happy medium short of ordering pizza every night for dinner. I would love to hear any creative solutions you may have!

Thanks,

Veronica
Mom to Eva

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030612/3/0/1/-6/.png[/img][/url]

August Mom
08-09-2004, 12:07 PM
I usually had no choice but to let DS help or watch. I actually like to encourage his interest in cooking, but it can get a bit much. When he was younger, I sometimes wore him on my hip or back in a KK Fleece Pouch. Now, I have a Learning Tower that keeps him somewhat contained and allows him to watch. I often do a "cooking show" for him, describing everything I'm doing, allowing him to taste/smell certain ingredients and to stir things. At times, I have given him his own smaller bowl and spoon/whisk so that he can "cook" at the same time as mom.

Once in awhile a video creates some distraction in another room.

lizamann
08-09-2004, 12:47 PM
The first thing that popped into my head is that you need a back carrier! You still have to be careful about them reaching around, but it's better than having them right there on the hip. But don't listen to me, since I am a sling-obsessed mama who still calls for delivery way too often...

vikivoly
08-09-2004, 01:41 PM
My vote is for pizza! :) I never noticed that cooking in particular attracted attention, but anytime I try to do anything in the kitchen DD is very interested. She'll often leave me alone while I'm on the computer or telephone, but if I sit at our kitchen counter, wash dishes or cook she does want my undivided attention (unless she is in her highchair). I don't have any toys for her in the kitchen, although we have a fairly open living/kitchen area. Maybe that's the problem. Have you tried putting her in her highchair with some measuring cups, etc.? I just think you're trying to talk yourself into the Learning Tower. :) If I were you, I would go for it.

papal
08-09-2004, 01:47 PM
LOL! Yes! So true!
My dd sits by the gate that prevents her entry into the kitchen area and 'talks' to me.. occasionally standing up and YELLING for some reason. She hated the gate at first but now does not mind it.. but if that gate is left open.. she RUSHES from wherever she is and crawls as fast as possible into the kitchen.. lol.

himom
08-09-2004, 10:22 PM
(Edited TWICE for some terrible grammar.)

DS is like this too. I don't think it's a coincidence that "mum mum" (what he calls food) and "Mom" sound so alike. :) They're his two favorite things, and when they are together he's on cloud 9!

I also have a difficult time getting cooking when he's around. Like the PP, I find that if I give him something to "cook" too it distracts him a little. I also have to taste and say "mmmmm" to whatever he is cooking every so often, but this is easier than hauling him around the kitchen with me and is also pretty fun! He's such a cutie when he becomes "Chef Josh." As an added bonus (for him, not me), when he's tired of stirring and putting lids on and off he turns the pots upside down and channels the drummer from Guns and Roses. It's loud, but still effective in distracting him. I try to vary the routine by giving him a different "drumstick" each time -- spatula, potato masher, large spoon, tongs, or anything he can't hurt himself with.

I also let him "climb" onto a safe chair and let me watch, or carry him around to show him what I'm doing.

If I'm cooking something that splatters or if I'm using the oven, he's not allowed in the kitchen at all so I get out a Signing Times video as a consolation prize.

HTH!

Jodi

vpalmer
08-10-2004, 09:38 AM
Thanks everyone; I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in this. I can't decide if I should get a back carrier or Learning Tower. After DD's dissatisfaction with being held at the same level by DH I wonder if a back carrier would not be a better route for now. Hmmmm, this may require some more research...

Veronica
Mom to Eva

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030612/3/0/1/-6/.png[/img][/url]

McQ
08-10-2004, 10:13 AM
Yes! Declan was always pulling on my legs and wanting to be picked up when I was cooking. I couldn't get anything done.

We got the Learning Tower and it's been great. Declan even gets up there by himself to watch. I always have toys, keys or something for him to play with on the island so he goes there during hte day too. He some times eats his snacks there.

I can't stress enough how much this has changed cooking time. It gets my vote.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04