PDA

View Full Version : Britax Recall

mommd
08-09-2004, 05:55 PM
I don't know if this has been posted yet or not, but Britax has recalled some Marathons, Wizards and Huskys. Read here for more info:

http://www.britaxusa.com/news.cfm?id=EDC4F94B-4EE8-4B61-A4B8AD9BF9D1A0C8

ETA beginning of letter:
Britax Child Safety, Inc. is conducting a recall of four models of child restraints that may not comply with safety regulations. The affected Britax models are all Marathon (E9L06), Husky (E9L30), and Wizard (E9L07) restraints, as well as restraints manufactured by Britax for Snug Seat under the model name Traveller Plus (E9L32). The recall includes the entire production of these models through July 23, 2004. No other model is affected.

cara1
08-09-2004, 06:09 PM
Holy crap! That's a huge recall...don't have time to read the whole thing now, but ALL seats from forever? I am NOT happy about this....

Melanie
08-09-2004, 06:14 PM
Wow! Thank you...we have a marathon...I will have to have Dh check it out.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif

lisams
08-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Yowsers, ALL?!!! I just checked DD's Marathon, and the straps didn't budge when I pulled on them, but still this is worrysome.

Wait, I just checked and her model number is E9L0606, a little different then the one in the letter, so maybe it's just ALL of those model numbers, not all Marathons in general? I hope...

ETA:
Here's what it says under the "questions" link: "Which child restraints are being recalled?
Affected Britax models include all Marathon (E9L06), Husky (E9L30), and Wizard (E9L07) restraints, as well
as restraints manufactured by Britax for Snug Seat under the model name Traveller Plus (E9L32). The recall
includes the entire production of these models through July 23, 2004. No other model is affected."

They also give you information on how to see what model you have. So I'm assuming since they say "No other model is affected" that it isn't all seats, just the models they listed? Anyone know more?

Lisa

flagger
08-09-2004, 06:22 PM
Here are some things to note from their Q&A:
================================================== ===========
Have their been any injuries leading to this recall?
No accidents or injuries have been reported. We have four confirmed reports of slippage among the more than 300,000 consumers who own these restraints. Testing has shown that in rare cases where slippage occurs, it is not until the adjuster buckle is used at least 1,000 times and sometimes not until it is used 11,000 times.

Does this mean I can't use the restraint until I change the adjuster strap?
If slippage is not occuring in a restraint, it is safe to use until the replacement strap is installed.
================================================== ===========

My adjuster strap does not slip at all, so I will continue to use the seat until the replacement strap arrives.

lisams
08-09-2004, 06:34 PM
Yep, same here but it does say to check each time you use it since it can develop over time.

Let's hope they get those replacement straps out soon!!

Lisa

flagger
08-09-2004, 06:37 PM
I already do that out of habit, so nothing really changes. Four loose straps out of 300,000 does not worry me in the slightest. As to your other question, I also have a Marathon and the way I read the notice was the MA started with those numbers and they are affected. Yours ends in 06 and mine ends in 77. I am going to just assume I will get a replacement in the mail at some point.

lisams
08-09-2004, 06:42 PM
Thanks, I was wondering about the model number. Good idea to check all of the time. Boy howdy, that's one huge recall pool! Someone on the carseat board said they would start shipping the replacement strap Aug 20.

Lisa

jamsmu
08-09-2004, 10:28 PM
I'm obviously missing something... where can I find the product code on the Marathon? I've looked and now I'm worried because I don't think I have the paperwork. Thanks!

s7714
08-10-2004, 12:45 AM
From Britax's help page:
I’m not sure what model I have. Where do I find the name?
The model and serial number can be found on the outside of the shipping box and on a white label placed in one of two locations on the seat itself: either on the lower right portion of the seat front, under the cover (to the right of the adjuster); or on the side of the seat (the right side if you are looking at the seat from the front, the left side if you are looking from the rear).

ETA: FWIW I just went out and looked in all these spots on mine and couldn't find a model number where they say it is--maybe I just missed it though? Luckily I still have the box and found it there.

HTH,
Jennifer
Mommy to Annalia 03/03/03

darby24
08-10-2004, 03:06 AM
On our two Marathon's the sticker is just below the adjuster strap.

Lift the cover and have a look - it has to be on there somewhere!

edit to add - the model number is on the same sticker that has the date of manufacture and such other info.