PDA

View Full Version : God help us all! Football season is here...

Rikkele
08-10-2004, 05:43 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love watching a good football game but DH CANNOT miss a Redskins game. And to make matters worse, he insisted on getting the NFL Sunday ticket this year so I am really in trouble. So now DH who already does very little to help with DD (except "bring home the bacon") will be doing even less!! Just don't know if I can survive until the Superbowl. Any other football fanatic DH's out there?

TaChapm
08-10-2004, 05:49 PM
I was thinking the same thing last night. I can tolerate College football (Gig 'Em Aggies) but something about the pros with their big heads and outrageous money and (some) drug habits. I dont' think these are the guys I want Jackson looking up to. Not all are bad but I just hate how so many of these guys don't act like a good role model. Oh well...we can't escape it.

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02

http://lilypie.com/baby2/021110/1/5/1/-6/.png

kelly ann
08-10-2004, 06:02 PM
Football already??? I even saw Christmas ornaments in the grocery store yesterday! Where has the summer gone?

Luckily, DH and I are similar college football fanatics, but only really watch our own team - go Hokies!!! Even though DH loves to play sports, he is not a huge sports fan most of the year - thank goodness! On the other hand, I have to deal with the history channel all year long x(

My stepbrother is a huge redskins fan and works Monday - Saturday. Therefore, the one day he is home (Sunday) he spends it glued to the tv and his wife never gets a break from the 3 kids. Maybe it is something about those redskin fans. Let's hope that they stink this year so your DH cannot bear to watch them }(

ETA: ITA about having to watch pros with the egos and large paychecks...it makes it unbearable for me.

parkersmama
08-10-2004, 06:03 PM
My dh is completely into College Football and then a few years ago he got into Fantasy Football. So now, we are watching college games on Saturdays and NFL games on Sunday & Mon night. Grrrr. I can tolerate (and even admit to liking) college football but I hate watching the pros. :( Plus, Fantasy Football gets him on the computer which means guess who doesn't get to use it! LOL!

khakismom
08-10-2004, 06:07 PM
I love football--mainly college. Football Saturdays is one of the best parts of fall (Go Irish!)! And I enjoy watching the Chiefs or Colts games on Sunday. But you're right. Hubby will be GLUED to the set watching all of them on hi-def!

mommd
08-10-2004, 06:28 PM
I love college football! Hopefully we will have a better team this year! Go Illini! :)

jbowman
08-10-2004, 06:35 PM
I was never a football fan (frankly I didn't even understand the game), but DH did fantasy football last year and I think that I had more fun than he did! I'm looking forward to this year.

Renee--the best thing about living in Chambana during football season is seeing all of those ancient alumni in orange slacks (slacks, not pants) wandering around Green Street! What a sight, LOL!

Marisa6826
08-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Ahhhhh. The glory of being married to a computer nerd ;).

I am instead subjected to hours of space video games - which can at least be saved and turned off ;).

Sounds like retail shopping therapy on Sundays is in order!

-m

marinkitty
08-10-2004, 06:47 PM
Well, I actually enjoy football (not really pro though . . . more college - GO BLUE!) but I feel your pain as I become a hockey widow each year when the NHL is playing. DH is a raving lunatic Red Wings fan and I swear during playoffs it is on every night - at least pro football is only once a week!

Nonetheless, I think you should plan some Sunday afternoon outings with girlfriends and let DH stay home and "watch football" while taking care of DD.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)
Another March baby EDD (3.22.05)

http://lilypie.com/days/050322/0/0/1/-6/.png

jubilee
08-10-2004, 06:50 PM
There are big football fans in this house! My DH is a diehard Minnesota Vikings fan since childhood, my 12 year old son is actually going to play football at the Middle School this year, and we are all into fantasy football.

My DH watches every game televised, all the pregame shows, postgame analysis, etc, etc. Just to have something to talk about, I had to learn about the game and players. Now I think it's fun :)

amazz
08-10-2004, 06:50 PM
Totally opposite end of the spectrum here. I LOVE football and it is one of those things DH do together. I am usually the one yelling at the t.v.! :) I can't wait until it really gets going! The only bad thing is that I am so preggo at this point I don't know how many Texas Tech (Get Your Guns Up!!!) games I'll get to go to. :(

You can always start your revenge early with the Olympics: rhythmic gymnastics anyone?!

Angela
EDD 10/15/04
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

cvharris
08-10-2004, 07:14 PM
Like Maureen, another college football lover here! I think we were brainwashed at some point in the past. :) (humming ND fight song)

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

kthomp
08-10-2004, 07:25 PM
Before I met DH I used to hate all sports, all I could tolerate was a few minutes of baseball. Now I am a die-hard NE Patriots fan! I love watching them and getting into the games. Although I'm not crazy or anything. It finally gives me something to watch on Sundays! I cannot stand College football- I don't like any sport when I don't know who the players are.

Well, maybe the fact that Pats have won two superbowls in three years helps me like them a little bit more! Plus, QB Tom Brady is just adorable.
Go Pats! :-)

kfcboston
08-10-2004, 07:29 PM
Go Kerry! GO PATS!

llcoddington
08-10-2004, 07:44 PM
"Let's hope that they stink this year so your DH cannot bear to watch them"

Ha! Ha! The Redskins have stunk for awhile now and that hasn't stopped my DH from watching every single game!

DH watches every sport there is. He is even all into the World Series of Poker. Tonight is WSOP night for him, so he claims the TV every Tuesday night at 9.

Sports have grown on me since marrying DH. I even turned down a girls' night out so that I could watch the Knicks in the play-offs a few years ago. Even worse, DH was out of town, so I watched the game by myself! Pathetic.

One positive note on football season: A good friend's husband works for the Redskins so I see and hear from her more during football season since her husband is so busy. PLUS, he gives us free tickets sometimes!

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

mommd
08-10-2004, 09:29 PM
>Renee--the best thing about living in Chambana during
>football season is seeing all of those ancient alumni in
>orange slacks (slacks, not pants) wandering around Green
>Street! What a sight, LOL!

So true! Orange pants don't look good on ANYONE!! LOL!

JLiebCamm
08-10-2004, 09:38 PM
I realy enjoy watching football with DH. But dealing with Fantasy Football is another story. He does it with a group of friends that live all over the country and the correspondence gets outrageous. First there is a three hour "rules call" conference call where they argue yearly on how to assign points, etc. Then there is the 3+ hour draft. And that's only the beginning! There are HOURS of research every week to determine who to play, who to pick up, who to trade. And if DH is having a bad scoring week, he's a bear! I get tired of watching his tirade around the house. I'm glad that he has this social outlet but it sort of takes the fun out of all the Sundays in the fall!

Mom2Miri
08-11-2004, 12:01 AM
Ok, I'm in the minority here....I'm the football fanatic of the family. But last year I just had no time for it and I doubt this year will be any different. Can't wait until DD is old enough to enjoy a game with me!

GO BLUE!
Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

hez
08-11-2004, 12:30 AM
Ugh!!!

DH watched the stupid Hall of Fame game last night, too (did I mention he has HOF license plates?!). It has started already. To make matters worse, he has season tickets with a buddy for his Big 10 alma mater games. Which means every Saturday there's a home game, he's gone all day (~3 hour drive). And THEN on Sunday the NFL is on all day. I know much, much more about football than I used to, but I don't know if I wanted to know that much :) It used to be OK-- Sundays DH would watch football all afternoon with me curled up next to him reading a book, doing puzzles or napping. No longer! DS was relatively easy last fall, this fall DH is going to have to turn that TV off on Sunday and play instead!

Regardless, I'm with Marisa. Retail therapy is in order if I'm going to be a football widow again this fall!

papal
08-11-2004, 12:37 AM
First of all it is too hard for me to get it into my system that FOOTBALL does not mean football (soccer) but it is this whole other game.
Why do they wear such tight pants.. it makes me squeamish. I finally understood the whole concept of the game last year... the 4 tries to make a goal and the yard thingy... but it is so freakin irritating that they keep stopping the clock.. ugh. And all those beer commercials and all those over-paid players... and the fact that you can be from Montreal but be a DENVER Bronco.. and the whole trading players thing.. and the next day analysis by the local news and the pre-game analysis.. and the way the show the players stats (you know when they turn their head slowly to look at the camera).. it is all just too much for me. Give me a good old game of football (oops.. SOCCER) any day!

C99
08-11-2004, 12:43 AM
I'm in the same boat here. Fortunately, he's relaxed a bit so that he *can* miss early season games. But towards the end of the season, I start asking every week when Monday night football ends.

hez
08-11-2004, 12:49 AM
Amen about stopping the clock. The last two minutes can take a stinking half hour or longer to play with all the time outs and out of bounds plays etc., etc., etc.!

tippy
08-11-2004, 01:53 AM
>>>>You can always start your revenge early with the Olympics: rhythmic gymnastics anyone?! <<<<

ROTFLMAO!!! Or figure skating! DH acutally calls all male figure skaters flying fruits (no offense to anyone!) I once pointed out that figure skating was much more challenging than Ice Hockey Skating and I swear I thought he was going to end up with a Coronary the way he was carrying on!

It's nice to know I'm not alone. Before we had ds I would just be mildly iratated about sitting in the house on a beautiful fall day while dh sat in front of the tv. Now that we have ds I can't imagine not going out and doing stuff with him. I guess I'll be doing it solo. I am not going to stick the poor kid in the house all day with NFL blaring in the background. I promised myself I wouldn't nag dh about it. IMO it's dh's loss
The fantasy football thing drives me NUTS!! It's bad enough I have to deal with REAL football but make believe football.
Give me a break.

cvharris
08-11-2004, 10:28 AM
Jessica,

My DH is a Fantasy freak so I can completely relate! LOL!

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

the5howards
08-11-2004, 10:45 AM
Not only is my husband a total Football nerd. My 7yo started playing football this year. Now I get to do football from July until December atleast 5 days a week. I am due with the new baby Jan 5th so hopefully football fever will have cooled by then since college teams are done by then.

Chrissy

MartiesMom2B
08-11-2004, 11:06 AM
DH is a huge NC State football fan and he got season tickets for his birthday (which I had to call his mom and ask for, I can't afford that on my own). He told me that he's going to bring Martie and give me days off. Ha ha ha ha. Like Martie will really want to stay there for hours on end watching football. Ha ha ha. I bet she's going to go to one day, so DH can show her off tailgating in some sort of cheerleading outfit that we'll have to shovel money out for and then he'll be pissed at that he can't watch the game.

Sonia http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/1/character03.gif
Proud Mommy to Martie
http://lilypie.com/baby2/030406/3/4/3/+10/.png

Rikkele
08-11-2004, 03:40 PM
DD already has her Redskins cheerleading outfit! LOL :)

MartiesMom2B
08-11-2004, 06:09 PM
I'm actually a Redskins fan too, growing up in the DC area. DH HATES the Redskins (due to how fanatic everyone was in DC about them). He wasn't too happy when I sang "Hail to the Redskins" all day when Joe "Our Saviour" Gibbs returned!

Sonia http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/1/character03.gif
Proud Mommy to Martie
http://lilypie.com/baby2/030406/3/4/3/+10/.png