PDA

View Full Version : LOUD screeching - is this normal behavior for a 3-month old?

Judegirl
08-11-2004, 08:39 PM
DD has been a very "chatty" baby since she started making sounds - she went from coos/gurgles to sharp squeals and long strings of bubbly babble. But in the past week or so, she's taken to a loud, very raspy screech. It's not one of those sudden squeals of delight. It sounds like a yell, but she's not upset or in distress when she does it. It's almost as if she's trying to see how loud she can yell, but it's such a scratchy sound, I can't help being concerned. It's pretty much replaced most of her babbling lately...she just kinda screeches all the time.

Normal? Should we be concerned? Is she just exercising her lungs, so to speak?

TIA!
Jude

muskiesusan
08-11-2004, 08:59 PM
That sound has been filling our house as well! Alex has been testing out the range on his vocal cords much to the distress of Nick!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01/01
& Alex 04/27/04

kristenk
08-11-2004, 09:10 PM
DD goes through periodic shrieking phases. They last for a maybe a week or so and then, thankfully, go away only to return several weeks later. She'll do it when she's happy/tired/whatever. I think she's just seeing how loud she can be. Yesterday, I discovered that if *I* make the same noise, she'll stop shrieking temporarily! LOL I wouldn't worry about it.

AvasMama
08-11-2004, 09:18 PM
Ava loves to squeal -- the higher the pitch, the better as far as she is concerned! She is thrilled when I imitate her and squeal too (she feels like I am speaking her language, I think) and we often get into squealing "duels." Drives DH crazy, but it is a great stress reliever :)

Robyn & Ava

eb1
08-11-2004, 09:45 PM
LOL - DS did this as well, right around that age. It only lasted a couple weeks. I chalked it up to experimentation (he's also very "chatty"). He has since moved on to other noises, thank goodness.