PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of understanding your little ones' language skills...

22tango
08-11-2004, 09:51 PM
Our 23-month old is quite verbal and very quick with comprehension & picking up new words, but many of her words are the last syllable of what she wants to say. (This is a bit unusual as the normal progression seems to be first syllables rather than last.) Sometimes I know what she means in context, but sometimes I'm asking 20 questions to find out whether "uck" is Duck, Truck, Yuck, Stuck, etc...

Is this normal at almost 2 years old?? Someone else noticed it and remarked that they thought it could be a symptom of a hearing problem or language development delay. I tested her to see if it could be the former by breaking down words and asking her to say each syllable, and then put them together (ie. "Tur"-"tle" = "Turtle"). She repeats me very well and finally, after some prompting, said the whole word instead of just the ending ("tle"). But she quickly got mad at me for playing the "Can you say ---?" game, and stopped trying.

I wonder if she's just being a bit lazy and we're helping her to be that way by interpreting her subsets of words for her rather than making her say the whole word???

I don't know. I figured there are so many people on this board who've had experience with language issues, that someone might be able to venture an educated guess.

We're thinking about asking her pediatrician at her 2 year appt in a month, but I'm still searching for possible answers.