PDA

View Full Version : OT: US Olympic Outfits...

lmariana
08-14-2004, 01:00 AM
I know this is totally petty in respect to the grandness and awesome symbolism of the Olympics, but am I the only one who thought that the US Olympian Outfits were totally lame? They looked like they just walked out of the gym, whereas the Italian Olympians had cute matching Prada purses!!! Not to mention Ireland's snazzy suits. What's up with our backwards cabbie hats? I just was so not impressed. I think the "Fab 5" needs to give our Olympians a little make-over. ;)

Okay, on with the games!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

http://lilypie.com/baby1/040814/1/3/0/-5/.png[/img] (img)

dowlinal
08-14-2004, 01:21 AM
I completely agree! DH and I were just talking about how the US uniforms were awful. You would think that we would show a little more style. I think what bothered me was that most of the other countries either dressed up or wore something symbolic of their country while we looked like we were just hanging out. Ugh!!

BTW - Happy Birthday to Gabriel!

JLiebCamm
08-14-2004, 10:27 AM
I couldn't agree with you more. So many countries looked classy and there we were... I don't dress up all the time but the opening ceremonies seem like the appropriate time to be polished looking. I wonder if alot of the athletes felt the same way (somehow I can't see the synchronized swimmers enjoying that get-up).

COElizabeth
08-14-2004, 10:32 AM
DH and I were talking about the same thing! He completely agreed with me that the outfits were too casual for the occasion, and trust me, we are not formal dressers. This is a man who would wear shorts and Birkenstocks just about every day of the year if allowed!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

octmom
08-14-2004, 10:41 AM
I agree and so does DH. Our athletes looked sloppy and the hats looked a bit thuggish.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

http://lilypie.com/baby1/041029/3/3/3/-5/.png

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

MartiesMom2B
08-14-2004, 12:03 PM
I actually like them. Do you ever watch "What Not to Wear" on TLC. They had an Olympian on there and they pulled out her opening ceremony jacket and said how ugly it was. So I actually like the sportiness of their outfits better than the ugly polyester jackets! But there is definitely more room for improvement!

Sonia http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/1/character03.gif
Proud Mommy to Martie
http://lilypie.com/baby2/030406/3/4/3/+10/.png

flagger
08-14-2004, 12:59 PM
I wanna know what happened to the Olympic cauldron? Ms. Flagger and I both looked at each other and felt like the last torch bearer just lit the world's biggest joint!

jbowman
08-14-2004, 01:44 PM
That's exactly what DH and I said, LOL.

Kimberly H
08-14-2004, 02:21 PM
Isn't Roots a Canadian company? You would think we'd have American-made clothes for the Olympics.

NEVE and TRISTAN
08-14-2004, 02:50 PM
they sadly looked like drug dealers to me...
before anyone flames me I know drug dealers don't have a look, but I am catching up in post after a few days gone and don't have the time to think of my words.
The outfits were awful...
I was sad too they were asked not to sport our flag like they have in the past due to not wanting to cram the American flag down anyones throat due to the war...but I think that is a right of passage for these young men and women and I was sad that that was taken away from them.

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
EDD with #2 March 18, 2005
heartbeat and "looking great" so far
Traveling in Jan insearch of the rest of our family-adopting in Ukraine

darby24
08-14-2004, 04:43 PM
>I was sad too they were asked not to sport our flag like they
>have in the past due to not wanting to cram the American flag
>down anyones throat due to the war

I'm curious, what is the story behind this? Do you mean that the athletes couldn't carry their own little American flags?

Obviously being Canadian I watched our version and skipped NBC (hence not hearing what US announcers had to say.)

Honestly I thought the US looked fine. But then again, our Canadians were also done by Roots (and in a similar style) and I see no problem with them ;-)

NEVE and TRISTAN
08-14-2004, 04:54 PM
I don't think I would have noticed if I had not heard it the day before, but evidently the US was asked to not be too patriotic (that might be the wrong word) but they were asked to not have US symbolism "in the face" of others out of respect to the war. I guess they wanted them to be sensitive to other countries.

They got a huge roar it sounded like when they came in and I the same story said they were prepping for some "boos"...

I bearly remembered hearing the story until I saw thier entrance where it was obvious they little waving flags were missing...
Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD #2 3/18/05 as of 8/10 things looking "great"
*Traveling in Jan insearch of the rest of our family-adopting in Ukraine IF INS gets us paperwork intime (cross fingers)

darby24
08-14-2004, 05:05 PM
Ahh, okay. I personally see no problem with any country showing pride - that's what they're there to do! Silly people!

Some of the mind games at the Olympics are just amazing

pritchettzoo
08-14-2004, 06:17 PM
that the Olympic torch looks like a gigantic joint? I saw the guy lighting it and thought, he's going to get the whole stadium high! :P

Anna

papal
08-14-2004, 06:24 PM
I did not think they looked that bad really... a little casual but they will get more use out of them than those blazers, no?
I really liked how the Greek women had little matching purses.. so cute.
Ok, what up with the girls holding the country-names looking like vases! haha!
Other than that.. the whole ceremony was fabulous i think!
LOLing at torch-joint comment. I think it looks more like a hand holding a torch.. but i was expecting it to go up and then light some type of cauldron.

rrosen
08-14-2004, 06:32 PM
OK the uniforms were not great, and the tourch did look like a joint, BUT, can we talk about the glowing pregnant belly? WTH, I kept waiting for the alien to pop out!

papal
08-14-2004, 07:36 PM
YES!!! That was so freaky!!! The DNA laser thingy was really nice though.
What about Bjorn's dress?? I wish they had shown the map for more than one millisecond.. it took more than 5 minutes to draw all the fabric out!

Sarah1
08-14-2004, 11:21 PM
I think they were going for "sporty chic" but missed the mark...definitely no snazz factor...although some of the women from other countries looked a little flight attendant-ish in their blazers and skirts. However, I liked how they looked pulled together, as opposed to slouchy like our peeps.

lmariana
08-14-2004, 11:50 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head! American fashion in general is pulling towards the polished, put together looks these days (except for those darn teenage boys and their wild "wanna-be-Abercrombie" fros); the sweat suits need to be tossed.

Of course I can SO not talk, I'm a fashion crime in progress! I'm typing in my kitchen...barefoot, in jeans and a black t-shirt. I'm pretty sure I have baby food somewhere in my hair... :)

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

http://lilypie.com/baby1/040814/1/3/0/-5/.png[/img] (img)

pritchettzoo
08-15-2004, 12:22 AM
Clearly I didn't read all of the posts before replying. We were looking around for Cheech and Chong! ;)

Anna

jbowman
08-15-2004, 12:41 AM
DH and I have been laughing about that all day--DH keeps saying, "I didn't know the Olympics were being held in Jamaica/Amsterdam?!"

jec2
08-15-2004, 01:20 AM
Oh, you mean it wasn't supposed to look like a huge doobie?! i thought it totally went with the theme "man, mind, body, evolution, art, thought, pot!"

tippy
08-15-2004, 03:45 AM
Of course I can SO not talk, I'm a fashion crime in progress! I'm typing in my kitchen...barefoot, in jeans and a black t-shirt. I'm pretty sure I have baby food somewhere in my hair...

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Um....I hate to admit this because you all are going to think I live in a bubble or something but I didn't know the olympics had started.
:o