PDA

View Full Version : Best baby shower gift?

smiley76
08-14-2004, 03:42 AM
A friend of mine is having a baby shower next week, and I am wondering what to get..
It's been almost two years since my baby shower and I am thinking maybe there are new cool things to get (old cool ideas are welcome too!)

Thanks!

ddmarsh
08-14-2004, 08:50 AM
Something little that I give alot is the personalized hat at:

www.getatag.com

I also have given the shoppiong cart cover at:

www.snazzybaby.com

I often take a large basket (the kind that sits on the floor and has handle holes on either end) and fill it with all of the basics such as bath supplies, binkies, board books, burp cloths, hangers, etc. The problem with this gift is that it can get super expensive although you can obviously tailor it to a specific price range.

ilovetivo
08-14-2004, 11:18 AM
Other thank getting what's on her registry, i got the Po Knee the last few showers. www.poknee.com but i bought it on QVC.com.

For my shower however, i'd love if people got a Costco membership, Gymboree Play & Music class gift certificates (there's a gym babies class that's abt $150 for 8-12 classes (you could probably do a portion) and membership is $25. But the best gift anyone could give me is to pay for some hours of my Postpartum Doula or for some of my Labor Doula's fees. Basically, i'm for anything that they really really need, that other people wouldn't normally get, like prepaid dinners, babysitter, doula or nurse care at home, store memberships etc.

ethansmom
08-14-2004, 12:21 PM
I second the idea of things to help out the mom. If you don't want to spend the big bucks on the gymbo class, you could see if your local Lamaze has a new moms group. Ours was around $50-75 and I am SO glad we went! It got us out of the house, and I learned so much!

amazz
08-14-2004, 12:24 PM
I am really hoping people get me what is on my registry. I picked those things out because I would like to have them! Sometimes "cool things" aren't all that practical and as a new mom-to-be I am all about the practical these days. I'm sure whatever you get your friend, she will appreciate it!

Angela
EDD 10/15/04
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

billysmommy
08-14-2004, 12:58 PM
I like to give a battery charger and a bunch of rechargeable batteries. I got this at my shower and thought it was the best thing....I was amazed at how many things take batteries :)

kristenk
08-14-2004, 01:36 PM
My DH and I discussed baby gifts a lot after DD first arrived and decided that we'd do a couple of different things for our friends. Too bad I didn't write them down b/c I think I've forgotten a few of them! The two things I can remember are:

A miracle blanket and The Happiest Baby on the Block book.

Little coupons or certificates that you make up that say that you'll be bringing by fresh or frozen (or, ideally, a combination) of meals after the initial support people leave. Especially note that you're just dropping off the food and will not cross the threshold!

I'll add more if I can remember what we were thinking about!

Tondi G
08-14-2004, 02:39 PM
the one thing I got that was used a TON was my Baby Bjorn!!!! My DS lived in it... hated the sling, the stroller, the bouncy seat, the swing. He wanted to be held and close.... the Bjorn was the one thing that made life easier for me! I still remember who bought it for me too!!!!

Other than that I would buy off the registry..... I loved getting things off my registry that "I" wanted. I got so many random outfits and clothing that I had to exchange of just live with cause I had no idea where they came from. the other thing that we really liked was the Tiny Love gymini (I think that was the name, it's been a while!).

The most recent baby shower I went to I bought practical. I bought the baby bath off their registry, a pack of washcloths, a gift pack of Johnsons and Johnsons stuff and the little kit they sell with the nail clippers, baby brush, nose sucker, thermometer etc.) She was really happy with that gift!!!!!

You can always buy a gift from the registry and then also bring over meals for them when baby arrives!!!! I wish more people sent over food rather than the beautiful flower arrangements (they were pretty to look at but the meals would have been better!).

Good Luck
~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

hwin708
08-14-2004, 08:13 PM
The Miracle Blanket makes a pretty cool gift, in my opinion. It was a lifesaver for me, and hard to find around here.

kthomp
08-14-2004, 08:27 PM
My new favorite shower gift to give: a sleep sack.

I used these for DD last year and loved them. She was always so warm and cozy and I didn't have to worry about her kicking off her blankets or getting all caught up in them.

I have given them at two showers and post-baby, both moms have told me how much they love them and how much they use them.

What I wish I would have recieved:
For me- spa gift certficate (massage, manicure) gift certificate for some post-baby clothes!
For baby- anything from Hanna Andersson, baby einstien videos (we love these!), personalized items

mudder17
08-14-2004, 09:06 PM
My favorite would probably have to be the Baby Bjorn. We've gotten a LOT of use out of it and continue to use it at 6 months of age. The other thing that is absolutely wonderful for the first 4 months is the Miracle Blanket! Oh, and if you're looking for cute shower gift for a little girl, the one that DD got that constantly gets compliments is the Mary Jane Trumpette Socks from www.babybox.com. I do love the sleep sacks, but I didn't end up using it until after she outgrew the miracle blanket and swaddling in general.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050222/2/16/0/+10/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_rosequartz_3m.gif Breastfed 3 months and counting

http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya