PDA

View Full Version : My first intiated thread - I quit my job...(a little long)

alexsmommy
08-15-2004, 10:00 AM
...and I'm a little freaked out. I am a psychologist and I've worked in a children's hospital since my intership six years ago. I love working with children, but I also have a passion for working with perinatal issues. My job did not allow for this, so I have dabbled in private practice for the past three years. I have been working with pregnancy, fertility, postpartum stress and loss, trauma, abuse, grief, coping with medical crisis and transition issues and I love it. My practice sort of exploded and I found that my days "off" (I worked three ten hour days as the hospital) were getting full. I was never home with Alex miserable about this. Several things happened at my job to make me realize it was time to move on. My hubby agreed that the stress wasn't worth it, although we may have to live in our car and rent out our house to make the mortgage for a while, he was supportive of me leaving. I am so completely relieved/happy and freaked out at the same time. For those of you who left "stable" jobs and went out on your own - any advice is welcome. I really do feel like I have a great set up - an awesome, supportive, generous mentor who also offered me an opportunity to form a consultation group with her and another psychologist to assist professionals and familes to work better understand each others needs. (Shameless promotion here - her book, "Parenting Your Premature Baby and Child: The Emotional Journey" was just released - my dissertation was based on interviews of parents quoted in the book.) I am feeling very anxious, but sooooooo happy to have more control of my schedule and to have more Mommy time. Again, any advice is welcome...
Alaina
Alex 2-4-03

octmom
08-15-2004, 10:27 AM
No advice here, but congratulations on taking the risk to do something you are passionate about and to have more time with your son!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

http://lilypie.com/baby1/041029/3/3/3/-5/.png

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

trumansmom
08-15-2004, 11:48 AM
Congratulations! I recently left a job that made me miserable as well. It really feels great! I'm still looking for another job, but in the meantime, I keep reminding myself that I'm getting lots of bonus times with the squirts, and I'll forget about how broke we were, and remember seeing DD roll over for the first time.

Congratulations on your book as well! That sounds amazing!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

tippy
08-16-2004, 04:30 AM
Congratulations on your first post and the decision to follow your hearts desire. No suggestions for you just well wishes!!!

babymama
08-16-2004, 12:23 PM
Congratulations to you! It is so lovely that you will have more time with Alex. I have no advice, as I've never been brave enough to work for myself. Just wanted to let you know that your decision is inspiring. I actually know a couple of women who have started their own businesses and are doing quite well and loving their work. So it is possible and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03
http://lilypie.com/baby1/041116/0/6/1/-6/.png