PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about "Red Slider Turtles"

NEVE and TRISTAN
08-17-2004, 10:41 AM
Thought someone might....

A friend emailed me yesterday asking if I wanted one for the pond in my yard!!!! Her co-worker bought one and they had plans to make a pond and never did. He has been in doors at her home and is evidently very domesticated. She seems to think he will be fine in my pond though...

He evidently is "vocal" and talks according to my friend...
I have a picture but when I saved it I can't find it now-I would love to show him off.

His name is Ted...
and she said this about him

Ted is very domesticated. He loves to be talked to and told how handsome he is. He loves to swim and bask in the sun. He eats crickets, fruit, greens, feeder fish and reptile sticks.

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD #2 3/18/05 as of 8/10 things looking "great"
*Traveling in Jan insearch of the rest of our family-adopting in Ukraine IF INS gets us paperwork intime (cross fingers)

Saartje
08-17-2004, 04:27 PM
They're pretty easygoing turtles. Had one as a pet for a long time when I was a kid.

Here's a link with info on keeping them in an aquarium; I don't know about outdoors.

http://www.anapsid.org/reslider.html

NEVE and TRISTAN
08-17-2004, 05:32 PM
I'm worried about keeping the water at that temp and wonder if being outside is no the best thing for him...and I don't want him inside (poor thing)...

He sounds so sweet and I am so proud of him, I get him tomorrow night...but am slightly worried about the temp thing.

Thank you for taking the time to offer your info...

*Traveling in Jan insearch of the rest of our family-adopting in Ukraine IF INS gets us paperwork intime (cross fingers)

nwaddellr
08-17-2004, 10:15 PM
The only other thing to add is, like all reptiles, you need to be careful about salmonella - so always wash your hands after handling the turtle (or snake or iguana or...)

NEVE and TRISTAN
08-17-2004, 10:44 PM
I'm glad you said that...I noticed that today in my research after I posted...I never would have known that, so I am glad that you reiterated that!!!!

dowlinal
08-18-2004, 12:25 AM
Neve,
I owned a red slider when I was in college. They have really tame personalities and overall he was a pretty good pet. Definately be careful about the salmonela. In fact they are illegal to sell in NJ because children were getting sick from pet turtles. (I had to go to PA for mine) The only thing I really have to add is that we tried to transition the turtle to a back yard space at my parent's house and he couldn't cut it so we ended up bringing him back inside.

Tondi G
08-18-2004, 01:07 AM
we had one when I was a kid! He was called "reddie" ...LOL, real inventive huh!

Anyways... we got him when someone knocked on our door and asked if we had a turtle that got loose..... he had found him in the gutter in front of our house!!! My sister and I quickly took the turtle and thanked the person...... we did NOT have a turtle before that day! LOL. My mom and dad didn't want him inside so we bought a kiddie pool and put a big rock in the middle so he could get out and sunbathe (they like to do this by the way!). we fed him turtle food... little sticks of god knows what but he was a happy turtle and lived for a long time. We did have a few jail breaks (one time after a good rain and his pond/pool overflowed) and found reddie in the bottom of the Jacuzzi a couple of times..... good thing we didn't heat it! He finally broke out one day and disappeared! BUT I did want to tell you that he was fine outdoors..... but we are in Southern California so the weather is really mild for the most part!

Good Luck with your slider!

~Tondi