PDA

View Full Version : Not looking for heated debate, but have a few questions on Prevnar (long)

JMS
08-17-2004, 12:08 PM
Hi ..
Before I start, maybe I should really be asking for some links to other boards that discuss vaccinations or names of recommended books. I would prefer references that look at both sides, and are not adamant in their view that their way is the only way, KWIM?

DD is 6 months old today and scheduled for a well-visit on Friday. Thus far, she has had all CDC recommended vaccines. I never gave a great deal of thought to vaccinations and I'm mad at myself for not doing more research. I am (in my opinion :) ) an open minded person who normally enjoys researching topics such as this. But on this one I dropped the ball and I'm now trying to educate myself in the 11th hour. The bottom line, as with everyone else, I really just want to do what is best for my daughter, all things considered.

The two things I am giving the most consideration to are:
1. I have an autoimmune disease (hypothyroidism), and
2. I reacted to DPT as a child, developing whooping cough

I am reading "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations" by Stephanie Cave, MD. Both of the above considerations are discussed as further reasons not to follow CDC guidelines for the spacing of vaccines. Overall the book is eye opening, but again, I am keeping an open mind and reminding myself that Dr. Cave is not the only informed opinion on the subject.

Basically I'm considering whether to delay DD's 3rd round of Prevnar. And I'm also questioning whether she needs additional Prevnar all based on Dr. Cave's recommendation of one dose at age 2 (DD has already received 2 doses). DD is also scheduled for her 3rd round of both Hib and DTaP. So I'm also questioning whether I should get one of the two on Friday and then the other a month from now. I'm not sure there is any necessity of this spacing at all?

TIA for any input.

ETA: If anyone lives in SE Pennsylvania (Berwyn, Wayne area) and has a Ped they highly recommend, I would greatly appreciate the suggestion. I'm not a big fan of my current practice at all.

momtoemma
08-17-2004, 12:15 PM
I can't address most of your questions, but at my youngest DD's latest well-check, our doctor told us we won't be getting all the doses of prevnar due to a shortage of the vaccine. Our ped told us that they are only supposed to do the whole series for high risk babes and babes that are in daycare. My mom keeps DD, so she isn't in daycare. Not sure if this situation will also apply to you. My first DD only received 3 doses of Prevnar (she was in daycare at the time). We missed her first dose because the ped's office was out of it.

steph2003
08-17-2004, 12:55 PM
I've agonized over the vaccination questions for so long. It is hard to follow your gut when there is so much conflicting information out there. Unlike breastfeeding your baby which is a no-brainer ;) No one can deny those benefits!!! Anyway, I too read the book by Stephanie Cave & we decided since I had so many doubts/fears to space out vaccinations as much as possible following Dr. Cave's recommendation. For instance DS has not received any other vaccinations when he receives DTaP. And overall I do not allow him to get more then 2 vaccinations at any given time. Yes, it requires several more trips to the doc's office but I just feel better spacing them out.

I know I'm probably not much help to your specific questions - just giving you some more food for thought. Also, it helps if you find a doc that supports your decisions. My practice consists of 3 peds & they all support vaccinations/no vaccinations/select vaccinations. I live in Charlotte otherwise I'd give you their names!!

amazz
08-17-2004, 03:18 PM
Please realize that I don't have baby yet, so I am just going on what I have read and other experiences. I won't be offended if someone here disagrees with me, but you did ask for different opinions.

I don't know if you have read Baby 411 (the book Denise Fields co-wrote with Dr. Ari Brown), but Dr. Brown has some pretty strong opinions on vaccinations that make a lot of sense to me. She also has a list of all the vaccinations and when you should have them. It is an easy to read and understandable book.

I am married to a PharmD (dr. of pharmacy) and he strongly believes in vaccines and I trust him completely. I know he wouldn't suggest having us do anything that would endanger our child. He agrees (or rather doesn't disagree) with the current recommendations.

All that being said...you are the mommy of your child. I believe very strongly in mommy instincts and gut feelings, so after gathering all the info, you should feel confident making your decision. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty or whatever for your decision, especially since you aren't just making it on a whim. You are doing research and getting multiple opinions so you can make an *educated* decision. Way to go mama!!!!

Good luck on whatever you decide to do!

Angela
EDD 10/15/04
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

JMS
08-17-2004, 03:53 PM
Thank you Angela.
Your post is half of exactly what I'm asking/looking for: people with (educated) opinions on both sides of the fence.

PS: Don't discount yourself just b/c you haven't given birth yet.. your instincts are there as well :) :)

californiamom
08-17-2004, 11:53 PM
I am a little biased about this because my mom was an MD and always very involved in children's vaccination campaigns, so I never considered a different route other than giving my child(ren) all their immunization shots as scheduled.

In Michigan as far as I know no baby will get the 3rd dosage of Prevnar for now because of the shortage. I had to go to my county's health department to get my daughter the first 2.

Anyway, I think what you're doing is great if you're not comfortable with your child's immunization schedule. Keep on resarching as much as you can, and trust your instincts.

Good luck!
Ans