PDA

View Full Version : Anoyone else have dual citizenship?

cdlamis
08-17-2004, 06:30 PM
If so, what is the policy for your own child? I do and I thought it would be easy to take Julia to Brazil with me but its a huge hassle!

I was born in the U.S. but have dual citizenship (Brazil and the US) since my mother is Brazilian. I am going to Brazil next month with Julia and planned on just getting her a Visa (along with her US passport) to enter Brazil like all Americans need. Wrong!! There is a Brazilian rule that ALL children of Brazilian citizens (even me!) must also be Brazilian citizens to travel to Brazil. Weird huh? So even though Julia is only 1/4th Brazilian and was born here, she will also be a Brazilian citizen. Which means in the next 4 weeks, I must register her as a citizen and get her a Brazilian passport too! AAHH! Don't get me wrong- I love the fact that she will be a Brazilian citizen too but I am a little pressed for time right now. I was planning on her travelling as just an "American" for now. :)

For those with dual citizenship, is this the case for you too?

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
And another little girl EDD 12-30-04!!

californiamom
08-17-2004, 06:45 PM
Sorry, no advice here, but thanks for posting this. I'm in the same situation and was planning on going to Brazil with DH and Camilla for Christmas. Now that I know this I'll rush to Chicago to get all her papers and citizenship in advance.

Where are you from in Brazil? I'm from Belo Horizonte.

Thanks and good luck.
:-)
Ana

cdlamis
08-17-2004, 07:25 PM
Hi Ana-

Great to see another Brasilian here!

I was born in the U.S. but my mom is Brazilian. She was born in MG but all my family lives in Brasilia which is where we will travel to. I have a cousin who lives in BH. :)

ETA- I don't know where you live but you can do all the paperwork by mail- you don't have to go in person. I would start now since the Brazilian consulate has been a pain to contact and get information from.

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02

arcoe
08-17-2004, 11:09 PM
I had the great fortune of getting to go to Belo Horizonte on a business trip about 5 years ago. I used to go to Sao Paolo quite frequently, and my trip to BH was the first experience outside of Sao Paolo. I had the best time there. The people were so incredibly kind, and the landscape is so beautiful (I guess that is why it is called "Beautiful Horizon"). Anyway, I just wanted to share that :)

Obrigado (did I get that right?)
Robin

californiamom
08-17-2004, 11:35 PM
Hi Robin!

How cool to "meet" someone here that has visited my hometown! It feels like it is soooo far away at times so when someone tells me 'yeah, I've been to BH' it makes me feel like it is not that far away. Am I making any sense? :-)

I really enjoy the city, and I miss it a lot. I live in Michigan now, so as you can imagine sometimes I go crazy wihtout my mountains and hills...

Anyway, great to hear you had a good time there!! And yes, you got that right -- obrigado (m) or obrigada (f).

:-)

Ana

californiamom
08-17-2004, 11:37 PM
Thanks, Dani! :-) I will check that out. I am in Michigan and the consulate I have to go through is the one Chicago. Although I do love ANY excuse to go to Chicago... So I may not tell DH it can be handled by mail! Hehehe...

arcoe
08-17-2004, 11:56 PM
Hi Ana!

You are definitely making sense. I feel that way sometimes and my family is only 400 miles away!

I went to this great restaurant in Belo Horizonte called Xapuri. I remember it so well because we had the best meal ever, and the owner was nice enough to give me a plate to remember the night and experience. I still have it hanging in my kitchen! They also gave me a huge jar of dulce de leche to bring back. That didn't last too long, LOL!

I am so glad that I don't have to travel anymore for work, now that I am a mommy, but I sure do miss my trips to Brazil!!

Robin

californiamom
08-18-2004, 12:03 AM
Oooooooooooooooooooh, Xapuri!!! You're making me homesick!! :-) Yes, that is one of my very favorite restaurants anywhere. So charming, isn't it? I love the all-you-can-eat dessert buffet there. DH and my in-laws were overwhelmed when they kept bringing desserts for them to choose from. I think in the end they had brought 27 varieties!!

I am definitely going to have to eat there in December when I'll be visiting my family...

Ana

cdlamis
08-18-2004, 12:51 AM
Ana-
I just e-mailed you with more info. Let me know if you don't get it.

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02

redhookmom
08-18-2004, 12:55 AM
I have dual citizenship American/Irish. My children only have American citizenship and travel as Americans.

ivparker
08-18-2004, 01:33 AM
I have dual citizenship. Italian/American I was born in the U.S. but both my parents are from Italy. I think it is the same case with going to Italy but from what I remember, I did fly when I was young as an American and they didn't even ask any questions. At the time I don't even think my parents knew that us kids were Italian citizens so we just had American passports. But more recently my brother went mentioning that he was an Italian citizen, too, ( I think he thought it would make it easier) and he then had to get an Italian passport. Hope that makes sense.

arcoe
08-18-2004, 11:32 AM
I am so jealous! The deserts were so fantastic. That is so funny that I went to one of your favorites, out of all of the restaurants in Belo Horizonte!

Robin