PDA

View Full Version : Need decorating advice

himom
08-19-2004, 07:40 AM
We're moving in a few weeks and since the move & logistics are stressing me out I want to think about something more fun. I want to fix up my new kitchen and I really could use some opinions on color scheme.

The floor is a light brown ceramic tile with dark brown caulking, and I can't change it for a while so it needs to factor in when figuring out colors. The kitchen is also pretty small, and is U shaped with cabinets on both sides and a window on the bottom of the U. Currently the cabinets are a dark colored wood. There are no pulls on the doors but I definitely have to add some to make them DS-proof. The stove and fridge might eventually be white but right now the stove is black.

I should also note that DH really hates yellow, which puts me in a bit of a bind as it's "the" kitchen color now.

So, what I need to decide is:
wall paint color
whether or not to paint the cabinets
what color to paint the cabinets if I paint them
what color pulls to get

Any amateur decorators out there with some ideas? I'm pretty conservative and on an extremely tight budget, but this place is SO drab right now it just needs help. I was leaning toward a green, but pastels seem weird for kitchens and I don't want to go too dark or that place will be a cave.

Genevieve? Lorne? :)

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003

votre_ami03
08-19-2004, 04:12 PM
"wall paint color?" - What about red?
"whether or not to paint the cabinets" - YES!
"what color to paint the cabinets if I paint them?" - White!
"what color pulls to get?" - Brushed nickel is nice, or an antique brass, that almost black finish.

Cabinets:
* I painted my dark wood circa 1970's cabinets white & it makes my kitchen so much brighter & new looking! It is amazing. It was cheaply done & a DIY job. If you are interested, I can tell you how. You can also "antique" the cab's w/a glaze, I haven't decided to do this yet, but try Ralp Lauren's tea stain glaze (avail at Home Repo).

* I found a dealer on ebay & purchased my knobs there @ $.99/ea. That is a great deal compared to Home D or Lowe's that quickly adds up!

Wall color:
* I went with fairly light colors, Glidden's Autumn Haze & Straw (it was on one of there inspiration cards). My kitch & DR are connected & I have a chair rail.
* What about red? I know you said conservative, but red kitchens are so cool! There are many shades of red, it does not have to be Ronald McDonald red!
* There are many shades of green too, sage is lovely, but what about an apple green?
* I also saw a "pumpkin" colored kitch recently that was awesome! Take your cue from spices or food. :)
* Yellow is also nice, maybe you could find a shade that DH would not hate?

What's your style or what loom are you trying to get?

I will try & post some pic's too.

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030722/1/7/2/-7/.png

votre_ami03
08-19-2004, 04:18 PM
I also wanted to sugegst new light fixtures! That can make a HUGE diff!

Attachment is a pic of the white cab's, it's Stowe white by Glidden.

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030722/1/7/2/-7/.png