PDA

View Full Version : Sherwin-Williams paint--yea or nay?

pritchettzoo
08-19-2004, 11:16 AM
I have a coupon for 1/3 off good on Saturday, and we need to paint the dining room (after we finish stripping the wallpaper, washing, spackling, sanding, dusting, and priming the walls that is). Just curious as to the quality of their paints and glazes (because a faux finish of some sort will be necessary to hide all the boo-boos).

Thanks!

Anna

llcoddington
08-19-2004, 11:18 AM
I've only used Home Depot's Behr paint and Sherwin Williams one-coat paint, so I have limited experience. But, I thought the Sherwin Williams paint was nice. Very thick- did not splatter at all.

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

amp
08-19-2004, 11:36 AM
Our house was supposedly painted in SW paint, but when we tried to paint in the exact same color of SW, we hated it! I can't speak to all of their paint, but we were not happy. We did find that putting it on thicker than we thought was needed did help, but we found we had much better success with other paints. Before we put it on so thick, we found it to be splotchy and left bubbles and stuff. Once we put it on thicker, it worked better. The stuff we had was to match what we already had, so it was a flat paint, which shows marks a lot! But that is typical of flat paint, so I don't know if that's SW in particular or not.

That's not to say I wouldn't try SW again, especially with a coupon for a significant amount off, but just thought I'd share our problem.

Marisa6826
08-19-2004, 11:45 AM
The top two are SW and Benjamin Moore. I think SW might be a bit more spendy.

Eldon uses exclusively BM (better colours?), FWIW....

-m

ddmarsh
08-19-2004, 11:55 AM
We've used a couple of BM colors and have been happy with them. However in the latest Consumer Reports the one rated the best in two of three categories was the Behr by Home Depot. If you want any more info in the review and/or want me to fax it to you LMK.

LD92599
08-19-2004, 12:08 PM
Anna:

Our entire home is painted with SW and we had good luck with it and probably won't use anything else. The experiences w/ had w/ Behr (Home Depot) were horrible..so much so that we returned it to Home Depot! Though..there's the advantage to Home Depot..if you don't like the color, just return it!

Laura
mom to William

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030305/0/7/0/-5/.png[/url]

aliceinwonderland
08-19-2004, 01:05 PM
we used a red color from them or our dining room last week...I go their harmony line (low VOC), and we LOVED it, almost no paint odor at all, i was a tad thin, but as it is a dark color, we had to do 2 coats anyway...We're alos using them for our living room (to be done this weekend, ugh!)
We got Behr's "designer White" for our ceiling and trim, and we're very happy with that too.

do you mind if I ask where u got that coupon?? only because I need more pain for th4e baby's room, and it is geting expensive (we're painting the whole house).

The ripping of the wallpaper IS NOT fun at all, let me tell you!!!

hannah
08-19-2004, 01:55 PM
We have had good luck with SW - we've used their 'superpaint'. The other good choice is Benjamin Moore. We also used Ralph Lauren from Home depot which we didn't like at all - paint didn't stay mixed and was really runny.

C99
08-19-2004, 01:57 PM
I know the professionals use SW and Benjamin Moore, but I don't like Benjamin Moore. I've always had good luck w/ Behr.

pritchettzoo
08-19-2004, 02:13 PM
Go on their website and sign up for the newsletter and they'll email you one (I also got a $10 coupon, but I don't know if it can be combined). I can forward you a copy of mine if you'd like it. Just PM me your address.

Anna

NancyJ_redo
08-19-2004, 02:50 PM
I don't know much about SW, but we are right in the middle of painting every surface in our new house. In fact I'm about to head out the door to Dunn Edwards right now. I was going to use Behr based on the new Consumer Reports' rating and the fact that it's easy to find - any Home Depot - but all the professional painters I talked to do not like Behr. They highly recommended and said they all use Dunn Edwards. I don't know if there's a SW around here, so it could be why they were silent about SW. Anyway, FYI Dunn Edwards gives a 25% discount (might be 33%, but I know at least 25%) to all AAA card holders. I have to buy a ton of paint today so it will save me lots of $$$.

Good luck on your painting!

Not a Bobblehead
08-20-2004, 02:38 AM
We bought the #1 Consumer Reports rated Valspar (2002 edition) and it was terrible paint. We actually returned it as it splattered and was awful. And I've never returned paint! Love Benjamin Moore paint, Sherwin Williams worked great too in the living room, Pratt and Lambert is great and Ralph Lauren Polo at Home Depot has worked great for us with custom colors in bathroom and master bedroom. But really couldn't figure out why Consumer Reports liked the paints they liked, we didn't. And Benjamin Moore has just started offering small size paint samples of several colors. Not in time to save us about $100 in quarts trying to find the right green for son's room. Any one need 10 quarts of BM paint in a variety of green??

jubilee
08-20-2004, 03:37 AM
My hubby used to be a manager with Sherwin-Williams and says it is really good quality paint. Now he is not in the paint business anymore. So when we buy paint, we buy it at Lowe's because it is so much cheaper. But with a good coupon like that, I'd be interested!