PDA

View Full Version : Very OT: Who's your favorite artist?

jbowman
08-19-2004, 04:43 PM
Or what is your favorite art work? Just wondering. I read Mariana's post and wanted to start a fun thread to stave off the boredom!

Can you tell that I'm an art historian?!

pixelprincess
08-19-2004, 05:13 PM
aah, a subject close to my heart...so hard to pick just one. One of my fav movements is Surrealism...and i love Magritte and Dali. Also Keith Harring, Gaugin and among Indian artists...MF Hussain.

how about you??

lmariana
08-19-2004, 05:14 PM
Ah! I always wanted to be an art historian! Seriously, that was my first college major, but then my parents made me switch to something "practical". (I've still never used my degree.)

Anyhow, I love the impressionist and post-impressionists with all of my heart. I love the Byzantine styles, they just take my breath away. As far as the renaissance goes, Van Eyck creeps me out, but I can still enjoy his work.

I'd say that my short list includes: Matisse, Degas, Cezanne, Rousseau, and Gauguin.

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

flagger
08-19-2004, 05:19 PM
Ok I am boring, but we both like Thomas Kinkaide.

mudder17
08-19-2004, 05:31 PM
Hmm...good question. I really like Dali, and Da Vinci, but in terms of what's in our house--I love to support the work of local artists. We also have a lot of Indian artwork--Hopi, Zuni (love those fetishes!), Navaho, etc. We get a lot of our artwork from my in-laws (www.sunshinestudio.com). The neat thing is that they know a lot of the artists personally. Sadly, my MIL has passed away (last year), but her memory continues in their business. :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050222/2/16/0/+10/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_rosequartz_3m.gif Breastfed 3 months and counting

http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya

JLiebCamm
08-19-2004, 05:35 PM
My old standby favorites are Matisse and Chagall, but in my recent trips to museums I've really gotten into Whistler (anything but "Whistler's Mother" - Arrangement in Grey and Black), Redon, and Bonnard. From Modern Art I really like Rothko and Morris Louis.

Glad you asked. I love talking art and now that I'm out of college have so little chance to do it!

StaceyKim
08-19-2004, 05:40 PM
Love Renoir, Monet, Manet, Sargent, Picasso, Rembrandt, H. Claude Pissaro, Cassatt, Jim Dine...to name a few!
other artists we like are Billy Sullivan, Patrick Hughes
I REALLY love art and paint in my free time as well!

babymama
08-19-2004, 05:51 PM
Loved my college art history classes!!! So fascinating....Here are artists that I love:
Frida Kahlo
Joan Miro
Diego Rivera
Matisse
Chagall
Manet
Mary Cassat
Degas
Francisco Goya
Van Gogh
David Alfaro Siqueiros
Rufino Tamayo

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03
http://lilypie.com/baby1/041116/0/6/1/-6/.png

jbowman
08-19-2004, 06:11 PM
Hi Jessica,

I absolutely adore Whistler, the founder of modern art IMHO--and I LOVE "Whistler's Mother", which is actually called "Arrangement in Grey and Black". If you think about it on a more formal level--as basically an arrangement of different tones all juxtaposed together, perhaps you will like it better. It isn't an homage to his mom, but a study of tone. Sorry--I sound as if I'm lecturing!

I seem to remember (from a post a long time ago) that you were an art history major?! There aren't very many art history majors, so that has stuck in my mind!

jbowman
08-19-2004, 06:14 PM
Mariana,

Everyone always used to say to me, "you'll never find a job if you major in art history!" It was one of those "do-you-want-fries-with-that" majors! Luckily I found a job (after years & years of grad school) and I love it--I get to talk about art everyday!

jbowman
08-19-2004, 06:16 PM
Lydia,

IMHO Rivera is one of the greatest artists ever! I love Tamayo as well. You've got great taste!

jbowman
08-19-2004, 06:18 PM
Stacey--

Sargent's portraits are amazing--I wish he could have painted my portrait!

JLiebCamm
08-19-2004, 10:38 PM
I know what you're saying about Whistler's Mother being much more than a portrait, and I didi learn to appreciate it for what it really is. I guess what I meant to say was that when I was first studying art, I really didn't like that painting (is it in the Musee D'Orsay?- I remember seeing it as a college freshman on a trip.) and wasn't a Whistler fan. Of course, that was the same time that I loved Renoir and Monet above all others and really didn't get modern art. After I learned to appreciate modern works, I liked it much better. But my real love for Whistler came on a trip to DC, when I was at the National Gallery and blown away by their Whistler pieces. The I saw more of them at the Frick (or is it Freer?) across the mall and was absolutely riveted. So what I really meant to say was that it wasn't Whistler's Mother that made me a Whistler fan, although I do have much more appreciation for it now.

I was sort of an art history major...I took every art history class at my college except for Renaissance (scheduling conflict-when you have to take a lot of science labs it's hard to fit some things into your schedule) and Asian art. I did my senior thesis on Matisse's "Bonheur de Vivre" and presented at the National Conference of Undergraduate Research. I seriously contemplated going to grad school for Art History and chickened out, mainly because my practical mother was constantly bugging me about getting a secure job. So I went to PT school instead. I've always regretted my decision but have learned to live with it. I think it's great that you followed your heart. You have a wondeful job.

ddmarsh
08-19-2004, 11:05 PM
I love Renoir, Matisse, Degas and Monet. In recent times however I have really grown to adore the work of the American Edward Potthast.

jbowman
08-19-2004, 11:18 PM
Jessica,

Whistler's Mother is in the D'Orsay. I can see why you developed a love for Whistler in DC! The Freer has the Peacock Room, which Whistler designed (the room features his "Princess of the Land of Porcelain). I went to an amazing Whistler exhibition at the National Gallery in '95 (I think, maybe '96)...in fact, my twin sister and one of my best friends made a pilgrimage to DC just to see the exhibit! It was incredible!

It's funny that you didn't take Renaissance--I never took a Renaissance class as an undergrad and now it's my specialty, LOL! That is wonderful that you presented your thesis at a national conference!

Have you ever been to the Barnes to see the Matisse? I've never been and would love to go!

I feel very lucky. Art (next to DH and Ellie of course) is the great love of my life, as cheesy as that sounds.

snp624
08-19-2004, 11:22 PM
I like Renoir, Monet, Klee, Van Gogh and Cassatt. I LOVE Sargent, and also Richard Schmid. Schmid's paintings reminds me of Sargent's work. (He is still alive. richardschmid.com) I sooo wish I could paint like him! I love that his brushstrokes aren't tight and rigid at all but whatever he paints they look amazingly natural!

sbjf
08-19-2004, 11:28 PM
Van Gogh, Norman Rockwell, Whistler, Verrocchio.

jbowman
08-19-2004, 11:33 PM
Verrocchio--that's awesome!!!

sbjf
08-19-2004, 11:36 PM
Thanks! I just saw his work on exhibit at the High Museum here in Atlanta, amazing, loved his David.

jbowman
08-19-2004, 11:39 PM
That's right--there's the Verrocchio exhibit at the High. I would have loved to see that (but, alas, I live several states away)! His David is great, some think that Leonardo da Vinci (his student, as I'm sure you know) was the model.

sbjf
08-19-2004, 11:42 PM
Yes, I learned that at the exhibit, and found it really interesting. I think they may have even mentioned that theory there as well.

Thanks for the thread, it feels good to think about things other than parenting from time to time :-)

alkagift
08-19-2004, 11:57 PM
Ok, I'm not too interesting but I do love Degas in a very serious way. I also like Picasso, but only after I saw it in person. I also love some more modern artists too, particularly Hiram Williams and Daniel Nevins. Get a look at this--I can't tell you how fabulous these are in person.

http://www.danielnevins.com/

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

tarahsolazy
08-20-2004, 12:26 AM
Sargent, Titan, and Van Gogh. I visited the sanitarium he painted in "Bedroom at Arles" a few summers ago. Still a mental hospital, and a beautiful, restful place.

jk3
08-20-2004, 12:31 AM
O'Keefe, Van Gogh, Beckmann, Renoir, Jacob Lawrence - all for very different reasons.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

jbowman
08-20-2004, 12:57 AM
Wow, you visited the sanitarium? Interesting.

Titian is the best--he and his teacher, Giorgione, are my all-time favs! Talk about beautiful use of color!

tippy
08-20-2004, 04:09 AM
Henri De Toulouse-Lautrec, Michaelangelo, Degas, and Gaugin.

Imperia
08-20-2004, 07:43 AM
Titian is my special favourite. Venus of Urbino is amazing! When I was in Italy I saw a lot of his paintings in real life and I have never seen any other artist capture skin so well. It was breathtaking.

I also love Waterhouse (Especially Ophelia)
Klimt--Mother and Child is AMAZING
Mucha (Emeraude)
Maxfield Parrish
Monet
Beatrix Potter and Maurice Sendak (okay children's artists but I like them anyway!)

Imperia

llcoddington
08-20-2004, 09:16 AM
Andrew Wyeth's Christina's World is my favorite painting. I have a hard time not crying every time I see this picture. When I have a bit more wall space, I am going to buy it!

Both my mom and dad have art degrees and paint and draw. So, some of my favorite works they did. I did not inherit even a speck of artistic ability from my parents! But, I was surrounded by art my whole life.

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

Dscvrlifewith3
08-20-2004, 09:29 AM
Dali and Picasso

jbowman
08-20-2004, 09:31 AM
Lana--

That painting is one of the best ever, no question! Do you know the story behind Christina's World? The subject of the painting is a handicapped girl and what is depicted is literally "Christina's World." It is very haunting. The painting itself (in the MoMA) is quite small. I really love that painting too.

My twin sister thinks "Christina's World" is a great name for a band, LOL!

jbowman
08-20-2004, 09:33 AM
Imperia,

I stated it in a post above, but I'll say it again--Titian is the best...he is without rival. And yes, you have to see his work IRL to understand! Wish I had one in my house, LOL!

babymama
08-20-2004, 12:37 PM
I forgot to add Toulouse-Lautrec to my list!!! Thanks for the reminder!
He's one of those people that I think about when people ask "if you could have dinner with any historic figure living or dead, who would it be". I'm sure it would one fun dinner!

Lydia

babymama
08-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Thanks! Would love to see your list.
I read here that Renaissance is your specialty. I love Carravagio (or is that post-Rennaissance? undergrad feels like a lifetime ago).
Thanks for starting this thread!

Lydia

jbowman
08-20-2004, 03:43 PM
Lydia--

I love Caravaggio too--he was an incredible artist. He is considered Baroque (early 17th century, Italian, primarily practiced in Rome).

There are so many artists who I love: Titian, Giorgione, Diego Rivera, Arthur Dove, Bernini, Whistler, Raphael, Pollock, Rothko, Wayne Thiebauld, Piero della Francesca, Thomas Cole, Thomas Eakins, Melozzo da Forli, Helen Frankenthaler, Joan Mitchell, and sooooo many more! It would probably be easier to tell you the artists I don't like so much!

JLiebCamm
08-20-2004, 06:35 PM
I've been to the Barnes twice. I highly recommend it; it's such a unique experience. The thing that blew me away the first time that I walked in there was all the works by famous artists that I had never seen reproduced (due to all of Barnes' rules). When you see a picture in a book over and over you may still be impressed in a museum by the scale or brushwork, but it's still very familiar. At the Barnes I felt like I was seeing a new side of many artists. You'll have to make a trip there! I live in PA and am lucky to have the museums in DC, Philly, NYC, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh all within a day trip (also Fallingwater-it's spectacular!).

JLiebCamm
08-20-2004, 06:38 PM
Imperia, I collect Maurice Sendak! He is amazing. I also love Maxfield Parrish but can't afford to buy it (I do have an original Daybreak).

Snookie
08-20-2004, 08:20 PM
Thanks for starting this thread! And thank you, Jenn, for mentioning Jacob Lawrence. Also love Romare Bearden. Manet is a fave, as well as Franz Marc, Sonia de Launay, and Marsden Hartley.

tippy
08-20-2004, 09:20 PM
Here is an interesting write up on the story behind the painting for anyone interested. It is such a "haunting" painting.

http://www.cnn.com/2000/STYLE/arts/09/04/wyeth.christina.ap/

C99
08-21-2004, 01:53 AM
Like a lot of other people, my favorite artists are among the French impressionists: Auguste Renoir and Edgar Degas. But also: Ansel Adams, Kate Greenaway and Beatrix Potter, which represent very different kinds of "art."

Imperia
08-21-2004, 06:04 AM
Okay,

now I am smiling...if an art historian agrees with me on Titian I can't be too far wrong. Don't you LOVE the way he does skin. I also love the "Titian red hair"---sigh. What I wouldn't do to have one as well!

My father like sto tell a funny story of me when I was about 10. He took me to the Louvre to see the museum ( I enjoyed art even then). He took me to the room with the Mona Lisa. I looked at it and said, "Eh, it's okay, kinda small!" Then nearby there was a Titian painting (I can't recall which one, I beieve it was one of the red haired beautities with a water jug, and my father said he had to drag me away; I wouldn't leave!

Imperia

Imperia
08-21-2004, 06:07 AM
OOOOO you are so lucky! I just love the way Parrish uses colours. In Daybreak I like the way he is standing over her, and she looks so relaxed as if she has just woken up.

Gotta love Sendak. The first thing I bought for mym little brother (now 17) was a copy of Where the Wild Things Are.

Imperia

kijip
08-21-2004, 02:01 PM
Hopper and Elisabeth Vigee-LeBrun are my favorites. I have enough art history credits for a minor but never applied for the program.

jbowman
08-21-2004, 02:13 PM
Katie--

I love Vigee-Lebrun (and Hopper) too. There is a great book on VL called "The Exceptional Woman: Elisabeth Vigee-Lebrun and the Cultural Politics of Art" by Mary Sheriff (Univ. of Chicago, 1996). Sheriff discusses VL's role as a woman-artist--it is definitely worth checking out!

Puddy73
08-21-2004, 10:17 PM
Good question! My tastes are all over the place - I love Van Gogh, Monet, Degas, Sargent, Andrew Wyeth, Edward Hopper, Ray Ellis (a local artist), Tommy Fitzpatrick (a friend) and Carl Larsson (sort of like a Swedish Norman Rockwell, just because his pictures remind me of my family).

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle Mae 9/8/03

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

JMS
08-21-2004, 10:32 PM
I love impressionist seascapes. So E. Gruppe (not affordable) and JJ Enwright (somewhat affordable) are the two I'm always on the hunt for. Really, really not affordable would be anything Peale, especially the still lifes of fruit.
Locally (and unfortunately deceased) is L. Crowell whose genre is Bucks Co. (PA) hunt scenes.
Last but not least is my mother who paints vegetable still lifes (veggies are hard to find in painting believe it or not). I posted this a while back in a different thread, so since it's on my computer I'll share. :)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/11691.txt

Edit to resize and I think tomatoes are actually a fruit :)

kijip
08-21-2004, 10:36 PM
Her famous picture with the woman with the scarf is my verr favorite EVER...

Thanks for the book tip. I did a lot of reading while pregnant with Toby when I could not sleep and expect to do the same on those sleepless nights!

boys2enough
08-22-2004, 12:26 AM
Chagall. :-) Love sitting in front of the "blue windows" at Art Institute of Chicago (before kids, of course). And Miro always makes me smile. I am also partial to Kandinsky.

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/pnoodles.gif