PDA

View Full Version : Please send healing thoughts to Buoy- surgery Thursday

NEVE and TRISTAN
08-31-2004, 07:55 PM
Buoy is scheduled for a full hip replacement on Thursday. Though both of his hips are bad they say there is an 85% chance that he will do fine on just having one done. At $5,000 for that one I hope they are correct.

This kills me, to have to keep him caged, and to do the towel under him so he can pee (he is a big dog)...and most of all the emotions that he must feel, he is so wimpy...my poor little guy.

We will get him back on Saturday if all goes well.
Please send healing thoughts his way...he is such a sweety!!!!

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/18/05 as of 8/24 kicking and moving arms via sono, very active.
* Adopting siblings in Ukraine, I171A from INS has arrived, dossier to Ukraine next week!!!!!!

rrosen
08-31-2004, 08:00 PM
Bailey and I are sending wishes for a speedy recovery!
I hope your furbaby feels better soon.

Tori_s mom
08-31-2004, 08:14 PM
He's certainly on my list. Poor cutie pie. I'll be thinking of Buoy all week. :)

Hugs,
Tasha

SAHM to Tori (3/11/04)
Pupmom to Bran (10/98)

Marisa6826
08-31-2004, 08:43 PM
The pigdogs send well wishes and hope that Buoy gets some major peanut butter with his painkillers.

hugs

-m

Momof3Labs
08-31-2004, 08:43 PM
Aww, poor Buoy. Hopefully he'll heal quickly and be back to keeping the girls in line (yeah, right!) in no time!

barbarhow
08-31-2004, 08:58 PM
The poor guy! Nothing like the look of a dog who is sick or in pain. Those sad droopy hound dog eyes. My thoughts are with the big boy.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

jasabo
08-31-2004, 09:35 PM
Poor Buoy :( I hope the surgery goes well and that he's up and running around chasing balls or frisbees or squirrels or whatever he likes to chase. One of mine will chase just about anything. The other one just sits back and watches her do all the work. He's pretty smart.

We'll be thinking about Buoy on Thursday. Let us know how it goes.

Lisa - mom to 14 month old twin boys

amp
08-31-2004, 11:49 PM
Awww, hugs to you and to Buoy! We will be wishing for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery! Keep us posted!

brigmaman
09-01-2004, 08:11 AM
Hope all goes smoothly for Buoy! A friend's dog had this procedure. It can be very stressful for everyone!
Keep us updated!

cinrein
09-01-2004, 09:13 AM
Awwww, I hope Buoy is back to his old self in no time at all. My cat sends him healing swats. :)

Cindy and Anna February 2003

mudder17
09-01-2004, 09:55 AM
Aww...poor Buoy. My four kitties send their love. I'll be praying for his surgery and healing. Keep us updated on his condition!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050222/2/16/0/+10/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 6 months and counting

http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya

JMS
09-01-2004, 10:01 AM
I feel for you Neve.. it's so sad when your pet-children need surgery b/c you can't explain to them what is going on and they just look at your with their kind eyes...

Thomas (our cat) and I will be thinking of him and sending lots of well wishes.

pritchettzoo
09-01-2004, 12:56 PM
Oh, Neve! I hope Buoy comes through with flying colors. Zoe says "Woo woo" (sort of muffled through the swelling) to him. :)

Anna

DDowning
09-01-2004, 01:45 PM
Oh Hugs to you and Bouy! I wish him a speedy recovery!

NEVE and TRISTAN
09-02-2004, 12:05 PM
I dropped him off this morning and he was so nervous.
I am so worried he won't get pain relief when they did his xrays they said "he can hold his liquor"...he is very stubborn on meds I guess.

I hate to go to Emergency style vets (that is where he is at) for you witness so many making the huge decision to put their pets down, it is just awful. I find it amazing I could work in a Trauma Center for humans for so long and can deal with that but put me in one for animals and I am a sobbing fool, before anyone thinks that might be odd just remember everything is done for humans, your income doesn't decide it etc... but animals much f their fate is their owners hands and what is in their pocketbook sadly.

OH it's awful...they bumped him up to be done this morning so they suspected he would be started at around 11:00.
His mommy Sandy dog is so nervous without him here and tried to go with us to the vet.

Thank you all for your thoughts and your critters too for thinking of our little puppy on this day. At 3 years and 8 months he is still "our puppy"...

* Adopting siblings in Ukraine, I171A from INS has arrived, dossier to Ukraine next week!!!!!!

amazz
09-02-2004, 12:09 PM
Happy thoughts coming your way on behalf of your beloved dog!!! I can imagine how you feel as I can't even stand to leave my baby at the groomers! Let us know how everything works out for y'all.

Happydoggiethoughtshappydoggiethoughtshappydoggiet houghts!
Angela
EDD 10/15/04
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

zuzu
09-02-2004, 02:28 PM
I'll be sending postive thoughts your way. Hope surgery goes well and that he is running around again in no time.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5.10.03)

pritchettzoo
09-02-2004, 03:50 PM
Please let us know how he does!

Anna

mudder17
09-02-2004, 04:00 PM
Thanks for keeping us updated. After losing 4 cats and DH's grandfather and mother in 2 years, I definitely feel for you. I agree that being in the Emergency vet is the saddest thing in the world! We lost two cats there :(. But we also had to make the most awful decision to put two of our cats down when we knew there was no hope and we couldn't stand to make them suffer through more needles, and fluids, and medications. :(

I'm praying for Buoy now!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 6 months and counting

Joshuasmommy
09-02-2004, 04:07 PM
I hope Buoy recovers quickly!! I have a Golden and I always fear that she will end up with bad hips.

NEVE and TRISTAN
09-02-2004, 07:32 PM
His surgery is complete, and he is out of it...they said they had a "big scare" with him once they put him under that he shook and that his eyes rolled back into his head.
I don't know if this is correct or not but the vet said that it is not common to have a seizure in surgery and it suprised him.

He hopes Buoy will not have any effects from it, he is still out so they do not know yet...

The surgery, the actual hip replacement, was a success he said.
He asked that we not visit tonight since it is really busy and they were not certain they could bring us back to the "back" and I of course will not let them remove him from his cage to be brought to a waiting room just so we can see him...

Not the news I expected for my little boy...

pritchettzoo
09-02-2004, 07:38 PM
How scary! I hope you get to see him soon.

Anna

jubilee
09-02-2004, 07:47 PM
Neve, I am so sorry about the seizure! I hope he will be alright. It is too bad you can't go to see your baby... I don't understand "too busy" to let you see him. :(

NEVE and TRISTAN
09-02-2004, 07:56 PM
they said there were a lot of emergencies today (it is an emergency vet place) and that no matter how busy they are I could come However if it was too busy they couldn't bring me to the back area and would have to bring Buoy to me in a waiting room. So I wouldn't want that done for Buoy's sake...

I guess I kind of did understand it in that it was my decision if I wanted Buoy disturbed or not which I didn't, though I want to kiss on him so much. He sounds kind of snowed anyway...

jasabo
09-02-2004, 08:10 PM
Neve, so glad Buoy is out of surgery and recovering. It must be so hard not seeing him today, but just think of the big, huge puppy kisses you'll get tomorrow when you see him :)

Lisa - mom to 14 month old twin boys

deborah_r
09-02-2004, 08:14 PM
Oh, Neve, how frightening! I will keep Buoy in my thoughts this evening and hope he will be OK!!!

egoldber
09-02-2004, 08:17 PM
How scary Neve! But I'm glad he's OK! Hope all is well and he comes home soon!

Kieransmom
09-02-2004, 08:30 PM
I'm sending thoughts that Buoy will have a speedy and comfortable recovery.

Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

Momof3Labs
09-02-2004, 09:37 PM
Oh, no! Hopefully all will be well, and he'll be dancing and prancing in no time!!

NEVE and TRISTAN
09-03-2004, 12:03 PM
for those who are curious, I know I always worry about others critters when they go thru things.
They said Buoy is very skittish, which he is, bless his heart he actually emotionally unstable at times, I met a pub from Sandy's first litter (who was walking around the streets of Durham and didn't belong to anyone) and it had the same "suspicious" attitude of Buoy. I remember thinking "thank god Byou is not that way" and he actually grew into it...

But they tried to take him out and he "bucked" and did not do well, so they are catherizing him and keeping him overnight and in his crate. We will go see him tonight.

No more seizures...

billysmommy
09-03-2004, 12:21 PM
I was thinking about Buoy this morning and wondering how he did last night. Hopefully things will continue to go smoothly and he will be home safe and sound tomorrow

barbarhow
09-03-2004, 12:28 PM
Thinking about the little guy and hoping he is home with you soon.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

NEVE and TRISTAN
09-04-2004, 11:38 AM
So we go to visit the Boo Boo meister last night, he was expected to be released today at the earliest and they convince us to take him home last night, that he is so anxious that they hope he'll be better at home.
HUGE mistake-they gave him Valium which you'd never know and all night he panted and whimpered (though I am not convinced a pain whimper) all night long, he drifted off to sleep for one hour and then literally from 4:00 am for 10 minutes. It was sheer hell, we have not slept a wink expect that hour he was asleep. Steve made me a bed upstairs in the guest room for me to sleep and he stayed down with Buoy and Tristan (who has ended up back in our bed since my travels to DC) and he let me sleep.
I was on the phone with the Emergency clinic (open 24 hours a day) all night crying...
Today he refuses to go in his crate so we are leaving him in our masterbed room.
They said they have never seen a dog like him, that yesterday morning he was bucking so hard standing up and was ready to run, not really a good thing due to the fact he could dislocate.

I swear thought his heart would stop last night he was breathing so heavy.
Anyway he is obviously feeling OK, they think it might have been a reaction to the Valium.

mudder17
09-04-2004, 11:57 AM
Wow, scary moment! And loooong night.... Thanks for the update, I was wondering if he was going home today. Continuing to pray for his complete recovery (and rest for you!). :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

amazz
09-04-2004, 12:11 PM
Oh Neve,
I'm sorry you had such a hard night. That is so scary when one of your babies is not having a good night (to put it mildly!). I'm glad that he is home and maybe now he will do better since he is with his mama!!!

Angela
EDD 10/15/04
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

hjdong
09-04-2004, 12:22 PM
HI Neve - I haven't really been following because I've been really busy, but I'm glad to hear it sounds like he'll be o.k. You think they would have given the medicine first to make sure there was no reaction.

Hoping for a quick recovery.

Vajrastorm
09-04-2004, 12:39 PM
I haven't posted, but I've been following the surgery story. I have a cat who gets agitated in response to sedatives. Poor Buoy. Poor Buoy's family.

I hope he does well from here on out and you manage to get some rest. Thinking of you guys.

pritchettzoo
09-04-2004, 12:44 PM
Our Maggie is like that with Valium. It makes her ornery and frantic. Poor Buoy! I hope he recuperates quickly and all of you get some sleep.

Anna

starrynight
09-04-2004, 06:39 PM
I'm sorry he had such a long night :(, does sound like a reaction to the meds.

I hope he settles down a little for you and you all get some rest tonight.

brigmaman
09-04-2004, 08:37 PM
Poor guy!! I hope he's feeling more like himself soon. It sounds scary- keep us updated.

TaChapm
09-04-2004, 09:15 PM
I'm sorry it was such a long night! Glad he is doing better today. How sweet of Steve to let you get some rest. Hope tonight goes better!
Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02

http://lilypie.com/baby2/021110/1/5/1/-6/.png

mudder17
09-05-2004, 10:40 AM
Neve,

I hope Buoy did better last night. I thought of him before I feel asleep, after giving my kitties a hug. More importantly, I hope you all got some sleep!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

NEVE and TRISTAN
09-05-2004, 10:59 AM
We all finally slept well last night, but this morning he is whimpering badly and his inside thigh on the procedure side is now highly bruised with fresh blood under the skin. I called the Dr and he seemed to think it might be "ok" and even said "normal" but he said "monitor it to see if it gets worse"...well since it just happened I think "getting worse" has happened.

My poor guy...I wish I could close my eyes and this all behind me.
Thank you for thinking of him...he is such a cute little guy, he honestly could have a muppet character of him he is so "cartoonish", he is a funny boy.

mudder17
09-05-2004, 11:16 AM
Aww...thanks for writing an update. I'm glad you slept well last night, but the poor guy still sounds like he's uncomfortable. "Monitor it to see if it gets worse..." I hate that. I know how you feel--you just wish you could wrap your arms around them and hug away the pain. :( Sometime when you're all feeling better, you should post a pic of him. :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

llcoddington
09-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Neve, Glad you got a good night sleep. DH and I cannot have dogs or cats- DH is severely allergic. :( But, I am guessing that when they hurt, you hurt. Like your own child. Hope he feels better soon!

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

amp
09-05-2004, 01:48 PM
awww...sweetie! I just caught up on what's been happening since Buoy's surgery. Sorry you are all having such a rough time. I know it's scary and heartbreaking to watch our beloved animals go through such stuff. You are so strong and I'm sure that even though it was a very rough night/nights, he is feeling more secure being with you guys in his own house. It may seem like it isn't so, but just think about what he's been through. He's scared and doesn't understand what has happened to his body. But I am positive that being with you provides comfort he couldn't get at the vet. Hugs to all of you! Please let us know how he is now.

NEVE and TRISTAN
09-05-2004, 02:55 PM
We have 3 !!!!
He takes Claritin...but when he and I met Spinnaker and I were already a family (she is my oldest dog a chesapeake bay retreiver), I made an appt to an allergy DR due to some food allergies I have and Steve started to get puffy eyes so I "added" him to the appointment.

Well wouldn't you know I left with them telling me I might not ever know my allergy since they suspect it is a preservative, yet I have been in an ER about 5 times for it, with cpr paddles beside me twice.

However Steve...the female DR came back into the room and cornered me she said "your boyfriend (fiance at the time) has the worst dog exclusive allergy I have ever seen....can't YOU find a good home"...

I said , "sure I can find him a good home, he can cook, clean has a good job I can find that man a home, I'm not parting with my dog"...

I love my pups!!!!

NEVE and TRISTAN
09-05-2004, 02:58 PM
taken from our website...
I have a really cute puppy picture of him that is "perfection" but I don't think it is on digital...
he is so pretty, born on the streets in a poor section of Durham (we tell him a palace)...his eyes look like a wolf and he has huge eye liner under his eyes...
His paws are huge and he is so goofy!!!!

http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan/images/buoy.jpg

mudder17
09-05-2004, 03:23 PM
DH and I are fortunate to not have allergies to our cats, although DH has been allergic to certain cats (and guinea pigs, for some reason). We would probably both take medication if we had allergies to our cats. My history teacher in H.S. actually got allergy shots because she refused to give up her three cats!

I love ALL of my babies! :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

tippy
09-07-2004, 12:51 AM
Neve,
I've been away and just saw your original post. Soooo sorry your pooch is having such a rough time with it. I never innoculate my 2 cats since they are exclusively indoor and never in contact with other animals. We live on the third floor of an Apt building so there is really no chance of them "getting out". I brought one of the 2 in for a routine checkup and let the Vet guilt me into giving her a distemper shot and when I got her home she was vomiting white foam and obviously severely nauseous. Well, she had an allergic reaction to the shot and I had to bring her back to the vet for an antidote and leave her overnight for observation. (at least they didn't charge us!) I know how terrible I felt over that so I can just imagine what you guys are going through with poor Buoy. I really hope he gets through the worst of it soon and has a speedy recovery.

Tori_s mom
09-07-2004, 10:12 AM
Oh, he's gorgeous! I hope he's feeling better. Keep the updates coming. BTW, my dog (border collie mix) LOVES his wiggle giggle ball. He can barely pick it up!

Thinking of you and Buoy(sp?),
Tasha

Momof3Labs
09-07-2004, 11:52 AM
Oh, no, poor Buoy. I hope that he's doing better today and that it was all just a reaction to the meds. Feel better, puppy...