PDA

View Full Version : Favorite boardbooks?

juliemiya
08-31-2004, 08:39 PM
I'm looking to buy more books for my 7.5 mo old. So far, her favorite is "Good Night Gorilla". Any others? Thanks!

Julie

DD 1/20/04

Marisa6826
08-31-2004, 08:45 PM
We LOVE Goodnight Gorilla! Tumble Bumble is an awesome book with really cute drawings.

Also, just about anything Boynton (Pajama Time and Snuggle Puppy are great) and Dr. Seuss! Although Eric Carle is quickly becoming a runner up.

-m

cdlamis
08-31-2004, 08:49 PM
I agree with Marisa. We love all the Boynton books. Julia especially loves "Everybody goes to bed" (?) and "Red Hat, Blue Hat". I think these are the right titles- the books are upstairs and I am too lazy right now to check.

They are short books with cute pictures. Julia loves them.

I can often find them at Ross or TJMax for a few $ cheaper than bookstores.
Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
And another little girl EDD 12-30-04!!

rrosen
08-31-2004, 08:54 PM
I second the rec for Snuggle Puppy, we also love Kisses for Mommy, Counting Kisses (sense a theme?) Happy Baby Words, Piggies, Silly Sally and many many more. TJMaxx is a great place for inexpensive board books.

kthomp
08-31-2004, 09:09 PM
I agree with the Boynton recomendation- Ally's favorite is Moo Baa LaLaLa. She also loves Barnyard Dance, Horns and Toes, and Doggies. Non Boyton favorites- Mother Goose, touch and feel type books, colors.

I get a lot of books from Marshalls and also from Buck a Book.

Tori_s mom
08-31-2004, 09:30 PM
Goodnight Moon, Baby Boo, and Dr. Seuss' ABCs (which was also my favorite as a child!).

Tasha

parkersmama
08-31-2004, 09:40 PM
Our favorites (other than those already mentioned):
Jamberry
Brown Bear, Brown Bear
Time for Bed
The Big Red Barn
Goodnight Moon
All the books by Byron Barton (transportation books...great illus.)
The Napping House
My Many Colored Days
We're Going on a Bear Hunt
All the books by Donald Crews (more cool transportation books!)
Here are My Hands
Mama, Mama
Dear Zoo
Autumn Walk
Winter Walk

sirensrise
08-31-2004, 09:44 PM
where is baby's belly botton? anything by karen katz.
any maisy book.
Camille loves flip flap books. at first you do the flap, but baby will catch on very soon,and boy does she love them! it stops her from crying instantly.

Raidra
08-31-2004, 09:50 PM
Colwyn loves the Maisy books, and the Baby Einstein books that have illustrations rather than photos. He also loves Eight Silly Monkeys and Ten Little Ladybugs (not technically board books, but they're really sturdy).

We also recently discovered a great bookstore outside of Boston. It's actually run by a independent publishing company, Barefoot Books. They say on their website: "we celebrate art and story with books that open the hearts and minds of children from all walks of life, inspiring them to read deeper, search further, and explore their own creative gifts." We like Bear in a Square and One Moose, Twenty Mice. You can buy online at barefootbooks.com.

divabell
08-31-2004, 10:32 PM
We love Boynton, too, especially "Moo Baa La La La," "But Not the Hippopotamus," and "Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs." (The Boynton CDs are also great.) I just found a couple cute ones last weekend--"How to Be a Cow" and "How to Be a Pig." They don't list a real author--the cow one is by "Bo Vine" and the pig one is by "Ima Swine."

JLiebCamm
08-31-2004, 11:02 PM
We love the Boyton books; they're fun to read! Our favorites are "Barnyard Dance", "Moo Baa La La La", and "The Going to Bed Book". I also like "I Like it When" and "I Love You as Much" but I don't remember the authors.

tina-t
09-01-2004, 01:41 AM
Any of the sandra boynton books specially, moo baa lalala and oh my oh my oh dinosaurs.

juliemiya
09-01-2004, 02:06 AM
great recs! i will print these out and go shopping! : )
thanks all!

julie

fauve01
09-01-2004, 02:16 AM
We have and love many of the ones mentioned already. not mentioned that my dd loves are these awesome block books:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0811824748/qid=1094015505/sr=ka-1/ref=pd_ka_1/002-3172063-6179205

we have the abc ones and also the numbers/shapes/colors. they are the perfect size for her little hands. dd will flip through them, bring them to us, babble. so cute! i saw some mother goose block books last time i was at BRS and i want to get those too--love mother goose. a bonus is the box is a cube and DD can use it as a stool to lean on or pull up on or stand on or whatever.

dd also loves the very hungry caterpillar. and one called Babies by Gyo Fujikawa--DD wants this one over and over. it has great illustrations.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0448030845/qid=1094015660/sr=ka-1/ref=pd_ka_1/002-3172063-6179205

My mom got this for dd that she also will flip through for a LONG time. the phone sounds real too:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764156918/qid=1094015747/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-3172063-6179205?v=glance&s=books

chicka chicka boom boom is great, same author as brown bear:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/067167949X/ref=ord_cart_shr/002-3172063-6179205?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

she also LOVES bath books.

HTH!

Anne + DD 10-03

ett
09-01-2004, 01:44 PM
Favorites here are ...
Boynton books
Spot lift the flap books (like Where's Spot)
Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?
That's Not My Teddy (Usborne touch and feel books)

babymama
09-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Santiago's current alltime fave right now is "Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed" - We don't have it in board book format, but I will soon have to buy it bc our paper copy is very well-worn.

Second current fave is "Tails". He loves the shiny peacock tail and the pig tail that swats the flies.

Hungry Little Catepillar - DS loves to turn those short pages.

Big Snuggle Puppy fans here. Our TJ Maxx has many Boynton books in Spanish, so we also have "Azul el Sombrero, Verde el Sombrero" (Blue Hat, Green Hat).

He also really likes a book called, Opposites.

Santiago's preference seems to change every 3 weeks or so. So don't be surprised if your baby decides one day that he's had enough of a book that used to be his favorite. THat's happened to us with "Mr. Brown can Moo, Can You?" and "Guess How Much I Love You"

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03
http://lilypie.com/baby1/041116/0/6/1/-6/.png

Dcclerk
09-01-2004, 02:13 PM
My DS loves Good Night Gorilla, too. He calls it the "nana book" and we have to find the banana on every page :)

Other favorites are:

The Very Lonely Firefly; Very Hungry Caterpillar (Eric Carle)
My First Truck Board book (may be a little boy thing)
any book by Karen Katz (all lift the flap books, I think)
Quiet Loud; Big Little; and Yummy Yucky (all by Leslie Petrocelli-- I thought the illustrations were not very pretty, but he LOVES these books)
#### & Jane (giant board book of the old classics; possibly his favorite all-time book) ETA: apparently the software does like the shortened version of Richard ;)
My Shimmery Funtime Book (illus. by Salina Yoon; has tons of those prism-like colored things)
My First Bible Book
Chicka Chicka ABC (Bill Martin Jr.)
Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb (it's a Dr. Seuss board book, but I think by Al Perkins)
Good Night Moon

And ones that are not board books but that he absolutely adores are anything by Laura Joffe Numeroff (If You Give a Pig a Pancake is my favorite but he likes them all); any of the Mr. McGee books (adorable retro illustrations and fun rhymes by Chris Van Dusen); ABC: A Child's First Alphabet Book by Allison Jay; picture books of real babies by Roberta Grobel Intrator (again, doesn't do it for me, but he really likes them).

ETA also: my guy is apparently the only child in the world who does not feel the Boynton love. Can't stand them. And honestly, I don't really like the illustrations, either. But it is a tad heretical here... ;)

I thinks it's great that you are looking out for more books. I LOVE that my DS loves reading and really want to continue to foster that.

mommy_someday
09-01-2004, 02:36 PM
I bought "Is Your Mama a Llama" for my nephews (1 year, 10 months) and they both love that one. We grownups do, too!

Jen in Chicago
09-01-2004, 03:54 PM
Elmo So Big is a favorite in our house. He is also really liking "Where is Baby's Bellybutton" and other books by that author (Katz?)

1 one he loved to play with the Cheerios books and put his fingers in the indented spaces. I just bought Cheerios so the book will hopefully resurface again.

jk3
09-01-2004, 05:11 PM
My DS loves the Maisy board books, especially the books with flaps. He also loves Eric Carle books. His favorite books are Mice Squeak, We Speak, by Tomie de Paola, Where is My Baby, by Harriet Ziefert + Simms Taback, Peekaboo Kisses + Animal Kisses by Barney Saltzberg.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

ethansmom
09-01-2004, 08:03 PM
I can't remember which website for sure, but probably www.kidsurplus.com or www.overstock.com had a ton of the Boynton books in Spanish.

alkagift
09-01-2004, 10:25 PM
I love reading everyone's contributions!

My son loves the Boynton's, "Mr Brown Can Moo" and especially "Go Dog, Go!" He also really loves all flap books with big simple pictures.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

mudder17
09-02-2004, 12:08 AM
I love Good Night Gorilla. It was especially great when DD was very young because I could just show her the pictures and make up the story on my own.

I love any of the Boynton books--DD loves the sound of the rhythm. Our current favorites are Barnyard Dance, Going to Bed Book, and But Not the Hippopotamus (I can memorize those, LOL!). She also loves Good Night Moon, Dr. Seuss' There's a Zocket in my Pocket, and Time for Bed (her face immediately lights up when I start this one). Oh, and there's also Guess How Much I Love You.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050222/2/16/0/+10/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 6 months and counting

http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya