PDA

View Full Version : Update on my cousin w/ breast cancer

heytootsy
08-31-2004, 09:36 PM
Well, where to start.....(for those of you who don't know, my cousin found out she had breast cancer the same week she found out she was pregnant. She is only 27).

She had the abortion. Poor thing was so sick with morning sickness prior. She said it was so hard on her because she was so sick yet knew it was all for nothing (generally speaking, I know a baby is ALWAYS something...you know what I mean by this).

She also had the double masectomy (I am sure I spelled this wrong). She said it was pretty painful, but part of the process. Well, she got the results back today. They removed 2 more tumors from the one breast (the biggest being 3 cm), a 5 cm tumor from her armpit, and the other breast had pre-cancerous cells. Worst, it was in her lymphnodes. So I believe it is no longer stage 1 cancer.

This particular type of breast cancer is estrogen dependent, so the pregnancy increased the rate of growth. None of the tumors were even detected in a mammogram. They are going to do chemo and radiation as soon as she recovers from the surgery.

She still has a great outlook considering. She is going in later this week for a bone scan to see if the cancer has spread anywhere else (lets pray it hasn't). Overall, she is doing OK. Her husband is doing fine to, or as fine as he can be. They are both dealing with so much right now. Our family has so much cancer, and no survivers, so I know she will be the first. It is just so hard for her to go through this when she seen her mother, brother, uncle, and granparents die from cancer, all at young ages. I hate cancer!!!

I will keep you updated. In the meantime, please keep her in your prayers.

barbarhow
08-31-2004, 09:44 PM
Thank you for posting. I have been thinking about her and wondering how she is doing. I hope her scans turn out negative. I can't even imagine how difficult this must be for her. She is in my thoughts and prayers.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

Marisa6826
08-31-2004, 10:03 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that she's having such a horrible time with all of this. You don't mention where she lives, but a great resource she may want to check out is Gilda's Club:

http://www.gildasclub.org/aboutus/

Please send her our best wishes

-m

JLiebCamm
08-31-2004, 11:04 PM
This is all so heartbreaking. I will keep her in my prayers.

COElizabeth
08-31-2004, 11:16 PM
I will. I hope that the scan shows nothing and that she makes a full and fast recovery.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

amp
08-31-2004, 11:34 PM
What a terrible, terrible ordeal. I have also been thinking of your cousin since your first post on this. It breaks my heart! As if cancer weren't enough to deal with, then add the double mastectomy and the needed termination of a pregnancy. I will pray for her and for you and your whole family.

tina-t
09-01-2004, 01:37 AM
I hope that she recovers quickly. I am so sorry that she had to have the abortion. We'll be thinking and praying for her.

jubilee
09-01-2004, 01:54 AM
I am just so sorry for your cousin. I can't imagine the pain, physically and emotionally, that she is in. She will certainly be in my prayers.

heidi_timms
09-01-2004, 03:02 AM
I remember your original post and it broke my heart to hear your cousin's story. This is wonderful news that they are working so hard to help her beat the cancer. Please keep us updated!!!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

brigmaman
09-01-2004, 07:58 AM
Continuing prayers for your cousin...

cinrein
09-01-2004, 09:18 AM
Thanks for updating us--I too was thinking about your cousin. Again, I'm so sorry for her losses and will keep her in my prayers.

My boss and friend has a family history similar to your cousin's. She was diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer 7 years ago. Yes, 7 years ago and she's happily planning her retirement next year. No recurrence. I think she and her sisters are the first generation in her family to beat cancer. I know it's not the same, but there are miracles out there.

Hugs to both of you.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

mommd
09-01-2004, 09:28 AM
I will keep her in my prayers.

mudder17
09-01-2004, 09:42 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your cousin. I can't imagine the pain she's feling right now, with the abortion, masectomy, and cancer treatments. I'll be praying for her.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050222/2/16/0/+10/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 6 months and counting

http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya

hez
09-01-2004, 09:44 AM
Continuing to pray for your cousin. Thank you for updating us.

Tori_s mom
09-01-2004, 09:47 AM
I'll keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Tasha

JMS
09-01-2004, 09:51 AM
I am so sorry for your cousin and your entire family. You are all in my prayers.

lmintzer
09-01-2004, 11:29 AM
I am so sorry that your cousin has had to go through all of this. It must be hard on all of you. I'll keep her in my thoughts and be wishing her a clean bone scan and a speedy recovery, both physically and emotionally.

sntm
09-01-2004, 12:11 PM
Based on your description, sounds like at least a Stage III. Hopefully the rapid and aggressive intervention will help to get her a cure.

What a deeply saddening situation. So sad for her too that she had to have an abortion -- yet another thing to grieve on top of all of this. My prayers are with her and her family.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 14 months and counting

Rikkele
09-02-2004, 01:29 AM
So very very sad for your cousin and your family. I hope she is getting the very best medical care and becomes a cancer SURVIVOR. I will be thinking of her.

NEVE and TRISTAN
09-02-2004, 11:59 AM
Her story break my heart, and I have thought of her often.
No one should have to go thru this...no one!!!!
Please keep us all updated she has been in our thoughts so much!!!

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/18/05 as of 8/24 kicking and moving arms via sono, very active.
* Adopting siblings in Ukraine, I171A from INS has arrived, dossier to Ukraine next week!!!!!!

McQ
09-02-2004, 12:16 PM
Please know your cousin is in my thoughts. What a strong and courageous woman. I wish her and your family well.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04