PDA

View Full Version : First haircut?

iujen94
08-31-2004, 11:12 PM
When did you first get your DS a "real" haircut? My DS is only 9 1/2 months old, but he has this big, crazy out of control curly hair (the picture above is from a few months ago, so you can't really tell - I swear it gets "bigger" every day!) I have no skills whatsoever when it comes to cutting hair, but I can't imagine DS sitting still in a barber chair for 2 seconds, let alone long enough for a haircut. So, again, when did you first get your DS a real haircut? If he was pretty little, any tips on keeping him still and happy? TIA!

DDowning
08-31-2004, 11:37 PM
My C starting getting his hair cut when he was 6 months old. It was just so thick in the back and would loop around his ears. We took him to one of the kiddie cut places that have airplane seats and video screens for entertainment. The key is to have a good haircutter, one that's quick and fast. He just had his 5th haircut last week. He's more squirly now and I give him kid friendly treats to focus on while the stylist is working on him. Its usually over in less than 10 minutes.

kalebsmama
08-31-2004, 11:37 PM
DS was 15 months old for his first cut. I took him to the lady that does mine rather than to a barber. He would not sit in the chair and ended up sitting on my lap in the chair. (I wore the gown since he wouldn't!)
I had a container of goldfish, and they found a musical calculator that he was interested in. He looked down the whole time and pretended not to see what was going on. Luckily, she has done lots of kids and was able to handle it because he kept moving his head around and trying to dodge the scissors!
I think it was 6-7 cuts before he would sit on the bench. And, just the last time he finally let her use the trimmers around his ears! Usually I had to sneak into his room at night to trim the hairs close to his ears since he was moving too much to get close enough!
HTH!

amp
08-31-2004, 11:41 PM
Jacob had his first cut just after he turned 1. He got his cut right after his daddy had his usual cut, so it was at a place he was familiar with. He handled it really well. The second cut was a little rougher and he had to sit on Daddy's lap. Luckily, the stylist was easily able to follow DS around as he squirmed and tried to escape DH's lap.

There are places that specialize in kids haircuts (I'm sure someone else mentioned this). They often play videos for the kids to watch so they are very distracted. You might try that if you are concerned about him sitting still.

tina-t
09-01-2004, 01:44 AM
Ds had his at 13 months. I had to wear the "gown" and held him on my lap but he did not cry or fuss too much.

flagger
09-01-2004, 01:52 AM
Cocoa got hers cut right after she turned one. My barber back in Charlotte was convinced it was bad luck to cut a child's hair before one and had be convinced. We have had one trim since then.