PDA

View Full Version : Are there any Star Wars fans among us? (spoilers) Also a rant!!!

flagger
09-01-2004, 01:05 AM
Now I am not a true Star Wars fan as I do not attend the conventions, have any of the original toys, or dress up in costume. (Ok maybe once but I digress) Ok I was disappointed in EP. I, and a bit less in EP. II. I do see it now as a twelve hour story and you have to introduce all of the characters in the first chapter, get something really going in the next chapter and so on.

I however am very looking forward to EP III: Revenge of the Sith. I am so ready to see Anakin and Ben [font color="white"] going toe to toe on the lava planet.[/font color] Also if you remember that first scene from EP IV when the spaceship being persued by the Star Destroyer passed into view, you will really like what you will see in EP III.

However this brings me to my rant about the upcoming original trilogy about to be released on DVD in September. Lucas had gone back and fiddled with the films even more. There is a scene in EP V where Vader gets out of his "fortress of solitude" (after ordering the ship to be moved out of the asteroid field for clear signal). They have replaced the actor who appeared as the emperor with Ian McDermid and also added new dialogue. Also in EP VI at the very end after the Death Star II has been destroyed, they have added in a celebration shot of Naboo which was neither in the original release nor in the "special edition". However the biggest change comes when Luke sees the ghostly image of Ben, Yoda and Anakin. They replaced Sebastian Shaw with Hayden Christensen.

I still can't wait to see EP III: ROTS but I still had to vent. Anyone else a star wars geek or married to one?

lmariana
09-01-2004, 01:10 AM
I'm not a Star Wars geek, but I dated a MAJOR one in college! They are a fun lot.

My hubby enjoys the movies and can get a little sucked in, so he'll probably appreciate the info...especially about the box set. How odd! I guess it's kinda neat, but still kinda wrong. Oh well.

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

Emmas Mom
09-01-2004, 01:15 AM
My DH always says he's married to a Sci Fi nerd. A title I proudly wear. :D He's a sports nerd so we each have our "thing". Though he does like Star Wars (who doesn't?) ;) I hadn't heard about the additions, seems like Lucas is always doing some changes now. Some people can't leave well enough alone. Now I'm curious. Think we'll rent it though cause I'm sure I'll want the entire six episode DVD set after Revenge of the Sith comes out (you know it will).

ETA: I've never been to a convention either though, so hopefully I'm not a total "geek". lol

jubilee
09-01-2004, 02:08 AM
I am a reformed Star Wars nerd :) I still love SW, but all the books, comics, trading cards, etc have moved out of my home! Still have the "collecter's edition" video set (for IV, V, VI) and I'm sure I'll get the rest someday. Heck I remember being 6 and being dragged by my babysitter to go see it, and standing in line 4 hours! This started my lifetime crush on Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill. And I had all the original action figures, but I don't know where they are now...

flagger
09-01-2004, 02:20 AM
I stood in line with one of my best friends for six hours waiting to see ROTJ.

jubilee
09-01-2004, 02:48 AM
I did too! :) But when I was 6 it was to see Star Wars: A New Hope, and I didn't want to go see it. I was told it was a movie about robots, and what 6 year old girl is into that? But aside from Darth Vader scaring me to death, I loved the film immediately!

luvmypeanut
09-01-2004, 03:41 AM
I'm not a SW geek but love all the movies. DH has NEVER seen a SW movie and has no interest. And I married him anyway...I could never tell him that I practiced putting my hair up in the doughnuts but could not get it right.

Tori_s mom
09-01-2004, 09:43 AM
I'm definitely a SW fan! I remember seeing SW when I was very tiny. I made everyone sit in the very front row. Later, I dressed up as Princess Leia for Halloween. My mask was too hot, so my mom fixed my hair and my make-up. That's one of the few costumes I remember.

Why oh why does Lucas have to mess with his movies? Come on. They were great the first time. Adding more Hayden Christiansen (sp?) to anything is a mistake....(Sorry, just my opinion.) More Ewan McGregor, now that would be lovely. :9

Tasha

mudder17
09-01-2004, 09:52 AM
Well, it took me years to see Star Wars, although I saw EPVandVI beforehand. I really enjoyed it, but did not hear very good things about EPI. So we decided to wait until EPII came out and again, didn't hear very many good things. We're now waiting for EPIII to come out before we sit down and watch all three. Interesting info about the trilogy.

DH and I are major sci fi fans, but are bigger fans of ST and its ilk. Although I'm not so sure about the latest incarnation. We often say that if we could choose our channels with cable, the SciFi channel would be one of the few to remain in our line-up. Any fans of Star Gate, Babylon 5, StarTrek, or Farscape out there? :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050222/2/16/0/+10/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 6 months and counting

http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya

lmariana
09-01-2004, 09:56 AM
>Adding more Hayden Christiansen (sp?) to anything is a mistake....(Sorry, just my
>opinion.) More Ewan McGregor, now that would be lovely. :9>

Well said! Now if they could only squeeze some more Harrison Ford in there, I'd be in heaven...

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

Tori_s mom
09-01-2004, 10:20 AM
Yay, SCIFI!

Stargate- Only into the original movie. Never really got into the series

Babylon 5- We are HUGE fans. Love it all! I hear JMS is working on another movie...:)

Farscape- Love this so very much. I can't wait for the miniseries. Anything with Ben Browder is yummy! :7

Star Trek- Loved the original, NG, DS9. Enterprise is watchable, but Voyager wasn't for me. I think they need to rethink the style of the show and come up with a totally new angle (which is what they promised w/Enterprise but didn't deliver).

I am such a sci fi nerd....

Tasha

amp
09-01-2004, 03:56 PM
I fancied myself a SW's fan and my DH too, but I guess I'm not as hard core about it as I used to be. I saw The Empire Strikes Back 13 times and we had a record that included all of the dialogue/script from that movie (basically a recording of the entire movie) so I literally knew every word and spaceship sound by heart! But I have to admit that I have not enjoyed the newer ones from the early days. First, I find that I don't like having the characters I loved played by different people (even though I understand that you have to). I mean, no one, can hold a candle to Harrison Ford as Han Solo (my hero!)! I also find that my memory of those beloved movies is not what it used to be, so I can't follow everything as easily as I would have if the sequels had come out years ago. Do you think I'm getting old or something?

I still wish I would have saved all my Star Wars trading cards and figures, but I don't exactly know why.

nwaddellr
09-01-2004, 04:17 PM
Big Sci-Fi fans here (both myself and DH). The only movies we'll actually go to the theater for are the big sci-fi thrillers.

BTW - have you heard the news that, while Lucas still says he's not going to do episodes 7, 8, and 9, he's had the staff all sign nondisclosure agreements on those episodes. Makes you wonder...

Emmas Mom
09-01-2004, 04:56 PM
OH MY GOSH!! More Sci Fi fans?! WOO HOO!! :D

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Stargate SG1 (watching Atlantis...not sure yet though). Was a HUGE fan of ST: TNG & Voyager (not so much DS9 & so/so on Enterprise). And FARSCAPE!!!! I cannot WAIT for the miniseries. You can actually thank a couple close friends of mine for campaigning the networks & the Henson family to get the miniseries produced. Hope this is ok, check out their website: www.watchfarscape.com

It's always fun to find others who share your "nerdyness". ;)

jubilee
09-01-2004, 06:27 PM
Yes, I'm also a Trekkie. :) I prefer TNG, Voyager, and Enterprise. In fact, and this really shows my inner geek, I was the webmaster of a very big Voyager site back when it was in it's first run on tv. (And my site was featured in a few magazines, like Yahoo mag.) I tune in occassionally to Enterprise, especially now that T'Pal and Trip are heating the screen up. Gosh, Trip is SO cute... sigh.

Raidra
09-01-2004, 09:21 PM
My husband and I are both SW/ST fans. We actually met in a SW/ST chatroom on Prodigy 8 years ago. How dorky is that?

I used to really be into all the SW stuff, like I read all the books and knew what canon meant in reference to SW.. and I wrote a column for an online SW fan magazine.

Just the other day, a woman who we also met from the SW/ST chatroom IMed me out of the blue ranting and raving about how they're "destroying" the original three. It irritates me, but apparently not as much as some people.

I didn't care for the episodes I and II, but hopefully III will be better.

missym
09-01-2004, 10:04 PM
My DH is going to have a fit when he hears about the additions/substitutions. We've been waiting for the DVD set to come out; we have the original VHS set (without changes).

We're also not thrilled with EP I or II, and are a little apprehensive about EP III. I wish Lucas had allowed Spielberg to direct the movies. Lucas just doesn't seem to be able to get any emotion out of the actors.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

jbowman
09-01-2004, 10:12 PM
I have really enjoyed the Star Wars films (and had a bunch of the toys as a child--including a Princess Leia doll--I still regret taking her hair out of those donut-buns, LOL! I could never style her hair the same way again).

But I am married to a real Sci Fi enthusiast--who comes from a long line of 'em! My FIL owns a Sci Fi/Pulp book business (mail order), so DH grew up surrounded by Sci Fi (Star Wars, Heinlein and no television=very interesting, geeky childhood, LOL!).

mudder17
09-02-2004, 12:15 AM
Stargate SG-1 is wonderful, especially Richard Dean Anderson--definitely a hottie IMO. I watched all the MacGyvers, LOL! It was one of the reasons I started watching the series. But the humor in the series is definitely wonderful. Not sure about the latest season, though. Atlantis I'm not sure about yet--it hasn't been out long enough.

Can't wait to see the new B5 movie, and the Farscape mini.

Loved DS9 because it was an encompassing story, like B5. Loved the original and TNG. Voyager took a while, but it ended up being pretty good at the end. Enterprise is only starting to get interesting--for some reason, I couldn't picture Scott Bakula as a Starship captain. His speech always seemed so stultified (sp?). But the story is getting more interesting.

Glad to meet other sci-fi nerds! :) I also read lots of sci-fi fantasy....hmm...should we start a new thread? :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 6 months and counting

Emmas Mom
09-02-2004, 12:36 AM
Oh yes lets!! lol Cause isn't that kind of hijacking flaggers thread? ;)

I definitely a nerd ( :D ) Love sci-fi shows & fantasy novels...any David Eddings, Terry Goodkind, Tolkien fans out there?! :D

flagger
09-02-2004, 12:39 AM
OK I am one of the few SCI-FI fans who hated LOTR and refused to watch the other two movies. Then again, I could never get into the books.

Emmas Mom
09-02-2004, 12:42 AM
No way! If nothing else the movies were so beautiful. Definitely deserved the Oscars for, what is it?? Cinematography?? Gosh, that trilogy is probably my favorite "movie" of all time. Pretty nerdy huh? Then again, even my "anti" sci fi DH loved them!

Edited to add: the books were difficult though. I thought Peter Jackson did a great job of condensing them & cutting out the stranger stuff...like Tom Bombadil. And, I guess it's a female thing but...Ummmm...Orlando....Ummmm...Viggo. ;)

flagger
09-02-2004, 12:43 AM
One of my friends is a serious downloader with a cache of over 1500 filmes. While I do not condone this behaviour, curiosity got the best of me and we screened that part of EP V today.

It is true. They replaced the original actor who played the Emperor in hologram form with Ian McDirmid. There is a new line where he says that he knows who fired the shot that destroyed the Death Star and his relation to Anakin Skywalker. There was another new line recorded by James Earl Jones, but my memory is now fading fast.

We then screened Alien Versus Predator. Talk about a movie to watch at a playdate!!!. Glad I didn't pay to watch that schlock.

mudder17
09-02-2004, 01:04 AM
I loved the movies! Was so happy when they won the Oscars. My sister fell asleep with the first movie, although to be fair, she had gotten very little sleep the previous two nights. But she loved the second two movies.

I made it through the Hobbit and the first two books. But I only made it halfway through the third book before I got lost amongst all the battles.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

amazz
09-02-2004, 12:30 PM
Why oh why do they have to mess with a good thing?!!! I am a total SW nerd (we even have the SW Trivial Pursuit game) and can't believe they are screwing around with this! GRRR.

We both had copies of the VHS trilogy when we got married--I, being the purest, have the original and DH, being the I gotta have the newest person, has the special edition. My mom thinks its really funny that we watch all of them (including EP I and II) so often. It annoys her when she is there and gets talked into watching them because we know all the lines in all the movies. :)

Angela
EDD 10/15/04
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg