PDA

View Full Version : b-day cards?

jamsmu
09-01-2004, 11:52 AM
DS received so many cute birthday cards this weekend. Any ideas of what to do with them? (I know, I know. I need to NOT be a pack rat and trash them all!)

amp
09-01-2004, 03:48 PM
I am not a packrat (in fact I'm the opposite...I get rid of everything nad it drives my DH crazy!), but I saved every single one of DS's cards when he was born, and at his first birthday, as well as any holiday cards sent in between. These are far too sentimental for me to trash them. They went into a baby box with all the stuff that was sentimental to me over the first year of his life and even until now. They will be so great to look at in the years to come!

papal
09-01-2004, 04:06 PM
I am not a packrat either but I will definitely be saving the first birthday cards.. i don't think i will have the heart to throw them out.. when Leela is older, she can throw them out if she likes. Maybe this is just a stereotype in my family, but all the girls love to look through old stuff from our childhood.. the boys could care less.. lol. But I am so glad that I have some stuff from my past to look at from time to time.. it would be so nice to see old birthday cards and such... my mom did not save mine. :(

amp
09-01-2004, 04:11 PM
Oooh, my mom did save stuff and it is so cool to go through it now! She didn't save everything, but she has samples of my art and schoolwork from every grade in school. It amazes me to read some of the things I wrote. I know Jake, as a boy, may not have as much interest as I do, but I'd still like to give him that chance. Not to mention that I will find them amazing many years down the road.

As for the packrat stuff...my mom IS a packrat and is trying desperately to undo that trait, so she goes through the stuff she saves every few years and tries to cull out the cutest or most memorable stuff. Now she enlists my help to cull through my stuff. We make the boxes of saved stuff smaller, but still keep enough to remember by. So you can always sort it out later and see what still has meaning to you.

mommytotwo
09-01-2004, 04:33 PM
I have been saving all of my kids cards. I just inset them into scrapbooks right after the event so I can stay up-to-date. My mom did the same thing with my cards, some pictures, and drawings. It's really neat to look back at this later on and it reaaly doesn't take up a lot of space or time.

HTH

Marisa6826
09-01-2004, 09:02 PM
I think I have the ones from Sophie's baby shower somewhere in a box. As far as other significant ones, we only saved ones that had notes/letters written in them. We received some pretty poignant ones when she was born.

A generic Hallmark card that just says "love Aunt Alice" doesn't mean much to me. I always try and write something when I give a card, since anybody can just sign their name, KWIM?

The other thing you can do is cut the fronts off and make them into "postcards" for your DS to play with. The only other suggestion I have is to get a cheapo photo album with sleeves and save them that way.

-m

sadie427
09-01-2004, 10:26 PM
I didn't feel emotional about them, except for the one from my parents that had a cute note telling Sammy that they would take him to a toy store so he could pick out his present himself! All the others were just generic hallmark-style cards that were just signed, so I gave them to Sammy to play with, he liked the bright colors, and then when they got messy I threw them out.