PDA

View Full Version : BBB Cookbook fundraiser

pritchettzoo
09-02-2004, 04:26 PM
The idea is in its infancy (hee hee), so please post any suggestions that you have, especially if you have worked on a cookbook fundraiser before.

1. We need to decide on a beneficiary for the cookbook proceeds.

2. We will need artwork submissions for the front cover.

3. We need your recipes!

Rebecca (rrosen) and I have set up an email account to receive your recipe and artwork submissions: BBBCookbook @ yahoo . com (remove spaces). Please include the name (probably your BBB ID and/or any other name) you'd like to be attached to the recipe/artwork in the cookbook.

We hope to have the cookbook ready and printed in time for the holidays. :) This will depend on submission deadlines with the publisher, which is also to be determined. We're getting some information from a couple of places, but input is appreciated on that end as well.

Anna

rrosen
09-02-2004, 04:31 PM
I just want to add some information from the publisher. You can use trademarked or copyright ingredients in your submission, i.e. Hershey's chocolate. BUT, you can not use a copyright or trademark recipe i.e. Hersheys Chocolate Cake. YKWIM?

Please start pulling out your favorite recipes! We know you have 'em. We have seen many on the boards!

Let the games begin!

amazz
09-02-2004, 04:53 PM
When should we start sending in the recipes? Are you ready to start getting them now?

Thanks for heading this up!
Angela
EDD 10/15/04
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

LD92599
09-02-2004, 04:56 PM
What an awesome idea!!! I've got a bunch of "must have" recipes that i'd love to share...i'll get to it!

Laura
mom to William

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030305/0/7/0/-5/.png[/url]

slknight
09-02-2004, 04:57 PM
We tried to do this on another board I was on and ran into some copyright issues. The person organizing it ended up just doing some pdf files that people could download and print and then took donations. I will try to dig up the info from her about what issues she hit regarding copyrights. It wasn't as easy to do the whole thing as it sounds.

JMS
09-02-2004, 04:59 PM
Hi. Quick question: Is it going to be a general cookbook? In other words, will there be recipes for appetizers, side dishes, main dishes, desserts, etc? Or are you just going to focus on one category and/or one type of cooking (an example would be ethnic food)?

Thanks!

FWIW, I think if you are aiming for the cookbook to be in circulation by the holidays, maybe go with a comfort/easy/delicious theme where you pick a few recipes from each category that can easily be mixed and matched.

The cookbook is a great idea whatever you decide :)

cinrein
09-02-2004, 05:11 PM
Oh great idea! I'll start getting my recipes together. I hope we can pull this off.

I'd love to help in any way!

Cindy and Anna February 2003

kfcboston
09-02-2004, 05:17 PM
Ooooo - I'd love to contribute some recipes, and would DEFINITELY by the book! Great idea.

lmariana
09-02-2004, 05:19 PM
AWESOME IDEA! Count me in!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

daisymommy
09-02-2004, 05:26 PM
Great idea! Count me in! I always print out everyone's recipes from here and stick them in a folder. But an actual organized cookbook would be so much nicer!

Just let us know when you're ready to start receiving recipes, and I'l submit my favorites!

JLiebCamm
09-02-2004, 05:49 PM
I don't know if/how this can be avoided, but the one that I participated in a few years ago had some terrible editing issues (like omitted ingredients) that ruined a few recipes. Hopefully someone will be able to recommend a publisher with whom they've had a good experience; I wouldn't recommend mine!

I do think this is a fantastic idea and am very excited about it.

jupster75
09-02-2004, 05:52 PM
I LOVE COOKBOOKS! I am such a sucker for cookbooks. I would love to submit recipes also. I have quite a few good ones from my great aunt.

Is there going to be a theme (i.e. holidays, desserts)?

Jennifer, mom to Audrey 11/3/03
http://lilypie.com/baby1/041103/3/16/3/-5/.png

tina-t
09-02-2004, 06:39 PM
This is great. I also love cookbooks, lol.

trumansmom
09-02-2004, 06:43 PM
This is so cool! I love this community!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

brigmaman
09-02-2004, 06:47 PM
This is a great idea! How should we narrow down our own submissions? I'm not sure which to include.

JMarie
09-02-2004, 06:51 PM
I'll try to get in touch with my mother - she chaired a committee for her Service League cookbook many years ago, but I'm certain she'll have some suggestions. She's notorious for not picking up her phone calls and refuses to invest in voicemail or an answering machine, so I make no guarantees how quickly I'll get the information! I'll definitely volunteer my grandmother's recipes though - they're all staples here!

Edited because I can't type or spell today...

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher
01/28/03

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
09-02-2004, 06:54 PM
How fun! I'm going to dig up my favorite recipes.
As for artwork, both inside and out, how about the moms with toddlers submitting some food pictures that their toddlers drew? How cute would that be? (Don't forget to have your toddler write their name on the submission!)

Melanie
09-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Are you starting a yahoo group to discuss, or is this thread for the discussion? Just wondering.

I am definitely interested, even if you go the .PDF route. It also might be nice to integrate the BBB pin artwork into the cover.

rrosen
09-02-2004, 07:26 PM
We have a publisher that specializes in doing just fundraiser and family cookbooks. They provide us with templates for the recipes. I think it will make it fairly easy for us. They are sending us some information so we should be able to answer more specific questions soon. Collect you recipes and we will post soon. Anna may know more and can post when she is back on.

bunnisa
09-02-2004, 07:26 PM
What a GREAT idea!!! And I've got to say, I'm really impressed once again. You guys are on a roll! Maybe there needs to be a special Marketing wing of the BB Boards. :D

I would definitely purchase a cookbook. It would save me from scrolling through my endless bookmarked threads.

I think you might have to limit the types of submissions, or the book might end up being 2000 pages. But at the same time, I really hope to see all sorts of recipes (especially regional and ethnic specialties).

Maybe you'll have to start a cookbook series. ;)

Bethany
It's a Boy!
William Eric
6/03

pritchettzoo
09-02-2004, 07:50 PM
Please discuss here!

Anna

pritchettzoo
09-02-2004, 07:53 PM
I think a general cookbook would be more fun--include everything, but what does everyone else think?

Anna

pritchettzoo
09-02-2004, 07:57 PM
The publisher we're looking at (Morris Press Cookbooks www.morriscookbooks.com) offers a free proof and software where WE will be the ones typing in the recipes to save money and time. So there probably will be some goofs, but they'll be our fault. Hmmm...maybe that's not a good thing... ;)

I'm emailing people who've gotten cookbooks done through Morris to sort of check references too.

Anna

papal
09-02-2004, 08:00 PM
fabulous idea!!!
i am typing up recipes for the curry project as it is, i could submit those, no? Or is it more for american food? maybe we can have a section for Ethnic cooking? Artwork.. i will get right on it!! heehee.
Can we have a section on Ghiradelli Brownie variations.. heehee... like kahlua substitution etc.. i have NO idea how to bake stuff!
oh oh.. can we have a pictures included?

very excited here! let me know if you need any help you two! you rock!

jasabo
09-02-2004, 08:01 PM
What a great idea! And I love a PP's idea for artwork to be done by the kids. That would be really cute!!

Can I suggest a section for kids' recipes? I'm in desperate need of kid-friendly meals.

Lisa - mom to 14 month old twin boys

NEVE and TRISTAN
09-02-2004, 08:02 PM
I think it sounds like a wonderful idea!!!

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/18/05 as of 8/24 kicking and moving arms via sono, very active.
* Adopting siblings in Ukraine, I171A from INS has arrived, dossier to Ukraine next week!!!!!!

new_mommy25
09-02-2004, 08:15 PM
I love that idea!

pritchettzoo
09-02-2004, 08:21 PM
Of course you should submit your curry recipes. What exactly is American food? We're a bunch of mutts here anyway.

Hmmm...a whole section on Brownies? Not a bad idea! ;)

No pictures--that would be crazy expensive. :)

Anna

mudder17
09-02-2004, 08:22 PM
I love the idea of a section for kids' recipes, especially because DD is just about to start solids.

Also, you could do artwork done by kids or pics of kids eating? Or kid's drawings of their favorite foods?

What a fantastic idea! Our choir did a cookbook as a fundraiser, although I wasn't in on the process. It sounds like there's enough expertise around here, though. :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050222/2/16/0/+10/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 6 months and counting

http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya

miki
09-02-2004, 08:52 PM
Anna and Rebecca,

Great idea! PM me if you need extra help.

Marisa6826
09-02-2004, 09:02 PM
Sounds fabulous!

Count me in (of course this would mean that I have to actually unpack some boxes ;) ).

So do you want only family recipes or ones from OUR fave cookbooks?

Some of my best recipes are from epicurious, etc.

-m

pritchettzoo
09-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Probably for copyright reasons only YOUR recipes, but you probably modify the epicurious.com ones enough to be in the clear.

See, this is all a plot to get you to unpack. Devious and extensive, huh?

Anna

jbowman
09-02-2004, 09:31 PM
Great idea! Let me check my recipes!

sugarsnappea
09-02-2004, 09:49 PM
Count me in. :)

RwnMayfair
09-02-2004, 09:51 PM
I love this idea! I've got a great cookbook that the NICU at the hospital where my mother used to work put together, cookbooks like this are always really neat. :)

Now, how many recipies are we allowed to submit? ::grin:: And do you want them now?

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://lilypie.com/baby1/041120/0/15/0/-5/.png

pritchettzoo
09-02-2004, 10:10 PM
I don't think we've decided on an exact number. If you have several great recipes, submit them all. I hope to avoid having to pick and choose recipes, so send in your absolute favorites now. If we need more at the end, we'll put out a plea and then you can slam us. ;)

Anna

ritacheetah
09-02-2004, 10:22 PM
Maybe we'll get to make some up this weekend in Florida. Like "Hurricane Salsa" - no electricity needed....:9

Tracy
Mom to Victoria
12-20-03

August Mom
09-02-2004, 11:26 PM
I think this sounds like a great idea! I've been involved on a couple of charity cookbooks and they went together without too much problem. Editing is the main issue, along with consistency. We found it easier if we told people the format we wanted them to use and then we could cut and paste rather than retype. So, for example, we came up with the abbreviations we wanted (ie. T versus Tbsp., c. versus cup, etc.) and that we wanted ingredients first, then numbered instructions or whatever. We also stated the other information that we needed to be uniform like number of servings.

One cookbook that we did was a grouping of recipes submitted by the musicians of our city's orchestra. For that one, we asked the musician to give us a story about or background of the recipe. That was very interesting.

I think a kid's recipe section sounds very cool. You probably do want to cap how many recipes a person can submit or say you can submit x number per category or something like that to control the size. However, if only a few are submitting recipes, I guess that won't be an issue.

If it's going to be a holiday fundraiser, how donating to a children's charity like Angel Tree that gives prisoners' children gifts for Christmas or Toys for Tots or some comparable charity for kids during the holidays. Alternatively, the Salvation Army is always a popular holiday charity.

jamsmu
09-02-2004, 11:54 PM
I agree, Anna. I think this will be wonderful and so much fun!! Is there a deadline for submissions?

pixelprincess
09-02-2004, 11:56 PM
Wonderful idea!! I'll be happy to submit recepies and art. I have skimmed the posts rather quickly so some of these may be suggested already.

It would be great to have sections in the cookbook.
How about vegetarian meals,
first foods for baby
finger food for toddlers
ethnic food
Weekend cooking
Impress your spouse/date meals(lol!)
Quick fixes

It would be nice to include a metric conversion chart for non US folks.

Here is a publisher that does cookbooks for fundraising. http://www.custom-cookbooks.com/quickandeasy/pricechart.php3. They have some free stock covers...not the greatest! I am not sure if one can submit our own.

abigailsmom
09-03-2004, 12:19 AM
Please count Abigail and I in for submitting and buying!!!

You ladies are some incredibly giving and creative people!!!

brigmaman
09-03-2004, 08:34 AM
You've got to submit that chili recipe! I used it at Brig's party for the masses and it got raves! Yum!!

barbarhow
09-03-2004, 01:00 PM
Ooooh! I am so excited. I love food. I love cooking! I have been asked a million times for my Tiramisu Cheesecake recipe. Maybe. If it's a worthy cause. I might be able to part with it.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

kalebsmama
09-03-2004, 03:44 PM
Great idea! I have been thinking of this for awhile and meaning to suggest it! I have a cookbook here that was done by Morris Press. MIL gave it to me for Christmas - it was done by the hospital guild in her town. It's nice. I'll have to ask her if they've had any complaints about mistakes or omissions etc.
It would be great to have a section for kid-friendly recipes.
Now, what recipes to send in?!!

alkagift
09-03-2004, 04:37 PM
OOhhh, Barbara, you MUST part with it! How can we bribe a woman with that kind of recipe on her hands?? Mere brownies will not suffice! ;-)

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

aguinn
09-03-2004, 04:44 PM
1. i vote for sending our proceeds to the school that's been under siege in breslan (if they are soliciting donations, that is).

2. can we use some of the artwork that was submitted for the pins?

3. i'll send in some recipes!

thanks
;)amy
proud momma to DS

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030729/1/5/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif One Year & counting...

hellosmiletoday
09-07-2004, 02:53 PM
Unfortunately, I dont have much time to cook new receipes so to be honest, my cookbooks tend to collect dust.

HOWEVER, I WOULD love to send a donation to the RUSSIAN school.

I would be interested in a cookbook with receipes for easy and fast dishes, and for instruction on how to make baby food at home.

Mommy to baby girl 5.8.04

tippy
09-07-2004, 11:52 PM
I will definately submit and purchase!

I know I've mentioned him before but my vote would be for helping Levi and his family. He was one of the two babies (the other was Jen's Samuel) that was originally recomended for the pin donation. He has an extremely rare and still unidentified type of cancer and has been undergoing testing and treatments since he was ~ 6 weeks old. The family has been on an emotional (and financial) rollercoaster and most recently has had to deal with a hostile doctor holding a grudge (he was the docotor at the original hospital they used before going out of state for second opinion).

Here are a few links to past and present web sites:

Pictures
http://www.tlcontact.com/ShowPhotoGallery?seed=798797

The first:
http://www.nocauctions.com/leviupdate.html

The second:
You need to register for this one but it is simple. His name is LeviH
http://www.carepages.com/ServeCarePage?cpn=LeviH&uniq=143621

The latest:
http://www2.caringbridge.org/il/levi/index.htm

Edited to remove some stuff and make this shorter.

Jeanne
09-08-2004, 10:11 AM
Great Idea! I'm in for both. I'd love to see a section on "Party Food" or "Dishes for Large Crowds", since we are all having birthday parties. I tend to cook the most for these and have gotten and "invented some pretty impressive dishes for large gatherings!

bricorssk
09-08-2004, 10:45 AM
My husband is in the Air Force and we used Morris for our Officers Wives Club cookbook. They turned out wonderful.
Corina
Sara 09/24/94
Sadie 06/23/96
Kemper 12/22/97
Baby Ava EDD 10/28/04

hobey
09-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Count me in for submitting & purchasing. I'd like to see a section on fast 30 minute style meals I can whip up after coming home from work. :)

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

jamsmu
09-08-2004, 02:30 PM
Another topic idea would be foods that are great to give as gifts. Hmmmm that doesn't sound right... what I'm trying to say is foods that you make for people when someone has a baby, or, unforetunately a family member passes away. I'm always looking for an idea besides baked ziti.

Thanks!!

Also, when is the deadline for submitting recipes?

heidi_timms
09-09-2004, 01:54 AM
I really loved donating to a specific family vs. an organization. Jen appreciated the $$$ so much and I really think Levi's family would also appreciate the help.

I have some great recipes to submit and I would love to purchase as well!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

Tori_s mom
09-09-2004, 09:47 AM
ITA! It's wonderful to make such a huge difference in someone's life.

I've already submitted two recipes, and I have more. :) I would definitely purchase the cookbook. I've already gotten lots of great recipes off of this board, and I've only been on here a few weeks. I also think it would be a nifty present for my mom and grandmother. They'd love to know their gift also helped someone else.

Tasha

Jen in Chicago
09-09-2004, 09:54 AM
I second this! What I need more than anything is child-friendly meal ideas. I am getting tapped out of ideas.

A second suggestion is a Crockpot section, as a working Mom the crockpot is my friend.