PDA

View Full Version : Sippy cup woes... any one plus year olds not using one?

pixelprincess
09-02-2004, 04:31 PM
I have been trying to get DS to drink/use sippy from 8 months and have had no luck! At his yr appt. ped insists on getting rid of the bottle completely! Fast forward to 14 months and we are still having no luck after trying almost every sippy cup under the planet, including a straw cup.

Today is our first day of complete bottle abstinence and it has been h*ll!! The poor guy is obviously not happy with the situation and is clingy and cranky, but still refusing to give in. He drank a couple oz from a cup without a lid, but it is a messy afair and the cup is also a toy! I am starting to weaken...any suggestions?

Someone told me cold turkey was the best way to go.

TIA!

ps. he is now in daycare where they have to self-feed/drink and bottles which makes drinking from a sippy imperative.

rrosen
09-02-2004, 04:33 PM
What kind of sippy cup are you using or have you tried? Knowing that may help with suggestions.

pixelprincess
09-02-2004, 04:58 PM
Thanks Rebecca. Here are some of the cups we have tried.

Avent soft spout trainer cup with handles
Playex insulated cups
Playtex with handles
Toss away sippy's not sure what brand
Ikea sippy
evenflo straw cup
Also the spouts that attach to the Avent bottles
Ansa- it is funky shape sippy i got from a playgroup mom

pls. tell me that there is one besides the above that might work!!

slknight
09-02-2004, 05:08 PM
We're in the same boat. We haven't gone cold turkey yet. He is getting much better with sippys and will drink any amount of water from them. But he still insists on drinking milk from a bottle most of the time. I actually posted about it recently on the Feeding board.

We've tried a zillion different cups too. I'm sorry to say I don't have much advice for you but wanted to let you know you're not alone.

Honestly though, I'm not sure I could do cold turkey. We may end up resorting to it, but I'm not quite ready to. And I say that because he seems to be more accepting of a sippy as time goes by so I'm trying not to push it too much.

rrosen
09-02-2004, 05:25 PM
My DD had NO success with sippy's until I tried the Nuby with the silicone spout and the take and toss in the infant size. The Nuby's can be found at CVS, Walmart and other places the take and toss are available at Target, and BuyBuyBaby and others. Gabrielle could not manage any brand that had valves or handles.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/12414.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/12415.jpg

Kieransmom
09-02-2004, 05:29 PM
DS drinks from one but he STILL doesn't get that he has to tip it up to get the juice out. We have to do it for him. He uses a straw sippy cup for his milk which he doesn't have to tip. That might be why he doesn't tip the juice. Have you tried one of them?

Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030509/1/5/0/+10/.png[/img][/url]

bjiang
09-02-2004, 05:59 PM
DD drank mostly from bottles until 18 month (even though we introduced the cup at 6 month). We transitioned gradually and she completely quit at ~2. I don't really understand the rational of quitting bottles at 1. A lot of babies are still breastfed at that age, so what's wrong with bottles? I would take it easy and not worry about it too much, and try again when he is older.

macassi
09-02-2004, 06:14 PM
I was gung ho on getting rid of the bottle at 1 until my PEDIATRICIAN asked me why and commented that she had yet to send a patient to college with a bottle. I let my son drink milk from a bottle until he was 2.5. At that point, he didn't use the bottle outside of our house. When we went on vacation, he never asked for it, so the "bottle fairy" visited our house and took all the bottles before we got home.

Brendan never took to a sippy either. He will drink from the tupperware cups with the lids and that's it. It's a little more messy, because they can spill, but it's not a bad alternative. I think he was such a camel (he drinks a lot) that he just couldn't deal with the slow flow of the valve based cups and could guzzle water or juice with the tupperware lid. There are definite advantages to having your child cup trained (from a real cup) at an early age, too.

As another resort, you might try the cups with straws. A lot of kids seem to like drinking from a straw.

kthomp
09-02-2004, 06:46 PM
I second Rebecca's suggestion of the Take and Toss cup. I know you mentioned you tried it, though. Ally didn't want to take any cup- I tried most of the same ones you did. Then one day I handed her the take n toss one and she drank from it! She is still getting the hang of it and uses bottles for her milk, but we are gradually switching a little more every day.

A few tips I read that might help you...
Try to introduce the cup when he isn't hungry so that he won't get frustrated. Also, try to use the cup for juice. He might be getting mad at the idea that he has to work harder for his milk that he would from his bottle, so he might be more receptive to juice.

pixelprincess
09-02-2004, 06:58 PM
OMG!!! i am in tears. this may be a fluke...which i hope it isn't. But DS drank 4 oz from the take and toss cup!! We'll have to see how if it happens again

Rebecca, thanks so much for your suggestion and Kerri for the reinforcement. I had a few "put away" for a while.

And thanks everyone else for your feedback too. It has been a really taxing time for us. DS refuses anything in a sippy...milk or water. I had held back on giving him juice and even gave him some in hope that it would get him to drink.

Here is something I found online about a sippy cup alert...http://www.dentalgentlecare.com/baby_bottle_decay.htm. So, it sounds like transitioning to regular cups is the best.

rrosen
09-02-2004, 07:30 PM
Yay! I hope it is not a fluke. I hope the rest of the night goes smoothly.

Good luck!

Kieransmom
09-02-2004, 08:38 PM
Yay! So glad to hear this! Great article too. Thanks for posting it.

Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030509/1/5/0/+10/.png[/img][/url]

Marisa6826
09-02-2004, 09:07 PM
Us!

Sophie won't use one either. I've tried most of them, including the nonvalve ones, straw ones, etc. We have these nonvalve Rubbermaid ones that she will occasionally play with, but she thinks it's a game to shake the liquid out all over, so she has to only use it in her highchair. Otherwise everything in the house (dogs included) are wet.

We've tried the Take and Toss (even using the little bowl instead of a cup with the sippy lid) - tried luring her with her fave drinkable yogurt. No go. She got frustrated and threw it - it opened and that was the end of that.

I just don't have the energy to deal with it while preggo. What's even worse, is that Sophie's taken to biting holes into the nipples on her Avent bots. UGH.

I"ll be interested to see what others suggest.

-m

pixelprincess
09-03-2004, 12:45 AM
I feel so bad for you! Ds does just about everything that Sophie does...biting the bottles, playing with the sippys to shake out the water/fluid, but thankfully no holes yet. He also bangs everything down...so cups without lids are a big mess.

A friend told me to give him water in his bottle instead and you can guess what he did. I had to intervene quickly!

He did drink a few more oz with the Toss cup, though I gave him a night time bottle as he was so tired. And so was I.

Marisa6826
09-03-2004, 01:11 AM
Sophie has even figured out how to bite down on the nipple while turning the bottle to loosen the collar. YUP. 8 oz. of water EVERYWHERE.

And, yes, she even pulls this trick when we're out and about. I've learned to carry a few extra outfits with us.

*sigh*

-m

pixelprincess
09-03-2004, 12:41 PM
Marisa, I can imagine it must be really hard right now to try to CIO the bottle. Still new to this...but, I had luck with the Toss cup again this am. I have to get it started as he does push it away and remove it quickly once he is done before the playing begins. Doesn't drink the same amount but it may be working.

IF you feel upto it, I'd suggest a go at it again..

thanks again Rebecca and Kerri!!!!

btw...since the toss cup wasn't serving its actual purpose, DS was using it as a bath toy!

barbarhow
09-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Jack wasn't proficient with a sippy until he was 14 months old. I still give him his milk in a bottle. I personally don't see why there should be a rush to get rid of a bottle at a year. My doctor didn't seem concerned. I didn't see the point in stressing him out and forcing him to do something he wasn't ready to do. All kids develop differently and have their own schedule. I think we create problems when health care personnel and others try to put kids on a schedule. YKWIM?
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

jk3
09-03-2004, 03:01 PM
At my DS's one year appointment, the pediatrician said to toss the bottles and pacifiers. I didn't do this because I thought + think it's a harsh tactic to try with a one year old. DS's 15 month appointment is next week + I'm hoping we see a different doctor. I know it's not the best but my DS still has 3-4 bottles a day. He will drink from a sippy cup. We've been the most successful with the Nuby cup but it's just not the same. If he's cranky or tired, he wants a bottle. When he wakes up in the morning or from a nap, he screams until he gets a bottle. I've tried substituting a sippy cup at those time to no avail. I'm sure going cold turkey is the best way but I can't bring myself to do this yet. I'm dreading the appointment next week.

Hope everyone else is having better luck!

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png