PDA

View Full Version : Discipline Glitch

Kieransmom
09-02-2004, 05:21 PM
We're at our wits end with DS. When he misbehaves and we correct him he thinks we're joking. DS scratched my cornea this morning bad enough to send me to the ER and when he kept hitting me and I said firmly, "NO! STOP!" He starts laughing and jumping up and down. Even with an extremely stern face and tone he thinks we're joking!

I just don't get why he's not getting it! The other night we actually spanked him because he bit DH really hard and drew blood. I am against spanking but he's been biting and not listening to our No's. We're pretty consistent with our discipline. Everything's a joke to DS.

He's a big climber too. He climbs over all the safety gates we have in the house. He fell over it the other night. With not listening to our No's and removing him from the spot and even distracting him he's still not getting it. We're to the point now where we're worried that he might be early ADHD. The Ped said no but he's just so hyperactive!

Anyone have a child like this and how have you dealt with it?

Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030509/1/5/0/+10/.png[/img][/url]

MartiesMom2B
09-02-2004, 06:06 PM
Michelle:

Have you tried putting him in time out. Maybe if you stuck him in his highchair and put him facing a corner of a room for 1 -2 minutes it would work. After putting him in the corner say very firmly "you are going in timeout. We do not _______. Timeout" My ped. said that if dd wasn't crying when I put her in time out I wasn't being stern enough when reprimanding her. Sorry - I hope it gets better.

-Sonia

Momof3Labs
09-02-2004, 06:42 PM
Definitely try a time out - he's not too young for one! You have to figure out his currency, and it probably has to do with removing your attention, which it doesn't sound like you've tried yet.

Good luck - but work on this now; it's much easier with a 15 month old than a 2 year old!

JacksMommy
09-02-2004, 07:11 PM
15 months can be a really trying age, as I recall. Kids are old enough to be really active but not quite old enough to really understand what you are saying. I wouldn't worry too much about his laughing and not seeming to take things seriously - at this age, you will see that he is "getting it" by what he does, not how he seems.

Because your DS isn't yet old enough to really understand language, lectures definitely won't help - consquences are the only way to help them to understand. Time outs are one effective tool, since your DS doesn't seem to yet be responding to No's. He sounds like an active child, so if you find yourself saying No a lot, don't be afraid to really raise your voice when he does something particularly unacceptable (hitting, biting etc) - that way he can differentiate what is really really not okay (am I being clear? Sorry if I'm rambling!) You might also look up advice in your child rearing books as most of them cover this issue, which is a common one at your DSs age.

Some things to keep in mind: this is more than likely a stage, and it will pass! I don't know how long this has been going on, but I do know that when DS is acting out, a week of unpleasantness can feel like FOREVER. For a while I kept thinking, Oh gosh, is this who my DS is turning out to be? But he always reverted to his sweet self in time.

The other thing is that with toddlers you literally have to repeat things A MILLION TIMES. They simply won't learn after just a few. It's totally frustrating because you know you've been over this so much, but as every mom of a toddler can tell you, we all go through it.

It's way too early to be worried about ADHD and I haven't heard anything that indicates your son is unusual for his age. You are doing many of the right things - keep it up and they will pay off!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Laurel
Working Mama to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD #2 12/24/02`

NEVE and TRISTAN
09-02-2004, 08:05 PM
We are right there with you...ours started about 16 months and lately the past few weeks is awful. We do do a time out where I put him in our bedroom (on the first floor) and close the door, it does work. But when you are in public there is not place to do it.
I have been hit, bit and hair pulled...
Tristan is also hitting other children alot lately.

We use to go everywhere with him, but now I cringe at taking him anywhere...
I know how you feel...
Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/18/05 as of 8/24 kicking and moving arms via sono, very active.
* Adopting siblings in Ukraine, I171A from INS has arrived, dossier to Ukraine next week!!!!!!

shall85296
09-02-2004, 08:12 PM
I just read the best book. I really can't say how wonderful I think it is!
Love & Logic, Magic for Early Childhood. ( Fay is the author)
No spanking. It encourages the child to think for themselves, and make their own GOOD decisions.
good luck.
sh