PDA

View Full Version : Small Gift ideas to bring for mom and new baby at hospital?

sbirmantaz
09-03-2004, 03:49 PM
Hi there, my friend just had her second baby and I am trying to think of something to bring for her. Just a small something. DOes anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

smomom
09-03-2004, 04:35 PM
How about a Demdaco Willow Tree figurine? They have a few baby poses that are very pretty. Their products are available at Hallmark and other gift shops. Most of them run around $8 - $20. The sappy, sentimental side of me loves them.

Here's a mom and baby...

http://www.demdaco.com/cgi-bin/demdaco/scripts/home/product_details.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1178349188.10 94238981@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdadcmggkedmmcefecefedfgfdfgg.0&oid=436017&productLine=true

here are all of their figurines...

http://www.demdaco.com/cgi-bin/demdaco/scripts/home/collections.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1178349188.109423 8981@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdadcmggkedmmcefecefedfgfdfgg.0&categoryPath=%2f141061%2fGifts%2fWillow+Tree%ae+Co llection%2fFigurine+Collection&productLine=Figurine+Collection

I know nothing about this web site, but they have good pictures of the various figurines.

http://www.cherrylaneangels.com/willowtreefigurines0.html

jlcana
09-03-2004, 04:39 PM
How about an offer to take her first child on an outing or babysit while she and DH spend time with 2nd baby without feeling tugged at both ends?

That's what I would like at this point!

Lisa
Christopher 3/18/02
Another boy EDD 9/20/04

August Mom
09-03-2004, 04:46 PM
Good suggestions already. If you wanted something more for the baby, I often give one of the Lamaze toys. There between $10-$15 and are really nice and interesting for a long time. My favorite is Celeste the Sun because of her stretchy rays. She also has a rattle, squeaker and teething area.

luvmypeanut
09-03-2004, 05:54 PM
Scented hand lotion for the mom and maybe a toy or blanket (already washed) for the baby.

Marisa6826
09-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't bring her anything to the hospital. Wait till she gets home. You can explain that something is coming later, and I'm certain she will understand.

I had sooo much stuff to carry, the last thing I needed was another goody to worry about, KWIM?

-m

kensjen
09-03-2004, 07:04 PM
I agree, don't bring anything to the hospital. I had so much stuff. Especially flowers. They are nice and so pretty, but usually you end up leaving them there, and only enjoy them a day or two. I hated to think of how much $$ was spent just on flowers for us when we had our son. We left them with the nurses to give to other patients, but we couldn't bring them with us. :(

Unless you bring a small card, or even a gift card for something...that is small and easy to pack.

I think a good gift would be a box of thank you cards and some stamps. I am sure she will get lots of gifts, and that is something you don't want to run out and buy. You could have these waiting for her when she gets home....just another idea.

You are a sweet friend! :)

Melanie
09-03-2004, 07:13 PM
massage gift certificate? ;)

lizajane
09-03-2004, 08:07 PM
hmmm... i loved getting flowers and gifts in the hospital. i certainly wasn't put out by taking home the wonderful things my friends brought!

stuff i enjoyed-
one friend brought me candy! cause i am a sugar junkie. and dr pepper, because i didn't have caffiene while pregnant.
someone else brought me my other PBK crib sheet off the registry.
i wish more folks had brought snacks! to munch on in between hospital meals. or even a yummy take out dinner!
a tiny outfit would have been fun so i could dress him up for when folks came to visit the hospital, instead of the white hospital tee.

what about a little white onesie with her initial or monogram on it?

Thatchermom
09-03-2004, 08:29 PM
Me, I bring flowers to everyone. DS was born the evening of September 10 of 2001, NOBODY came to visit or anything on 9/11 and then we went home. I had a totally empty hospital room and not a single bloom to carry home with me. Not how I ever pictured it and it's my mission to make sure everyone has flowers in a special vase to bring home when they leave. This one is my personal favorite. http://www.lindaanderson.com/productDisplay/displaySingleSpread/0,1794,305013%7C1%7C%7Cfull%7CL%7Cthumbnail%7CL%7C nonext%7C%7Cnonextsec%7C,00.html

Momof3Labs
09-03-2004, 10:06 PM
I agree, food is a good idea. Hospital stuff just doesn't cut it!!

jbowman
09-03-2004, 10:08 PM
I brought my friend a box of Godiva chocolates--she loved that!

janeybwild
09-03-2004, 10:12 PM
Yep, can't go wrong with a bag of goodies to munch. Just a few individual pieces wrapped up that she can munch on while caring for the new babe. Or, a new brag book for a new babe?

(ignore attachment, updating avatar)

pritchettzoo
09-03-2004, 10:29 PM
FOOD! I wanted to kiss my friend who brought me a bagel and cream cheese. I'd probably have danced for anyone bringing me cookies or brownies. :)

Anna

Buffys Mommy
09-04-2004, 02:29 PM
I have to agree with food or snacks. DH brought me a philly cheese steak for lunch after Sarah was born and man did it hit the spot! I can't stand hospital food.

Tammie
Sarah Michelle 10/13/03

egoldber
09-04-2004, 03:48 PM
I recently brought my good friend (after the birth of her second) my special banana bread with chocolate chips. Its one of her favorites and it gave her a break from hospital food. Maybe make something that you know she really likes?

leanng
09-04-2004, 08:10 PM
I say take her some homemade cookies (or brownies for Anna - which I didn't do b/c I had a little one and still feel guilty about) and a 'gift certificate' for a meal or two for when she's home with the baby and doesn't have time, energy, etc to cook.

LeAnn
Mom to Alex 11/12/02

lizajane
09-04-2004, 08:28 PM
banana bread with chocolate chips??? um, YUM!!

POST RECEIPE!!!!!! MUST HAVE BANANA BREAD WITH CHOCOLATE CHIPS NOW!!!!

sadie427
09-04-2004, 11:33 PM
Bring her a milkshake! That was my favorite thing my DH did for me in the hospital!

pritchettzoo
09-05-2004, 12:26 AM
Yes, please! :)

Anna

marit
09-05-2004, 04:47 AM
The best thing I got was a take out of my favorite sushi. I love sushi, but didn't eat any when I was pg. I was drooling all over it...

quikeye
09-05-2004, 05:50 AM
Definitely food! :) I still can't believe how much hospital food I ate, and wished there was something a little better!

Or, maybe a nice small scented soap/shampoo/etc. I felt like such heaven washing the 1st time (in a hospital shower, no less!) after DS' birth... having some special soaps and stuff made it feel even better (less antiseptic/hospitalish).

Yay for new babies :)

egoldber
09-05-2004, 08:30 AM
LOL! Your are too funny. Here it is:

Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips

(This is actually my mother-in-law’s recipe)

2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
3 bananas
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla

1 3/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare an 8x4 or 9x5 loaf pan by coating with oil. (I like to use a non-stick pan lightly coated with a cooking spray like Pam.)

Beat the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl. Beat in bananas one at a time. Add other liquids and mix together. Sift together all the dry ingredients (except chocolate chips). Add dry ingredients to liquids. Beat just until mixed. Be careful not to over mix. If desired, add chocolate chips, folding into batter with a couple quick strokes. Pour batter into pan. Bake in pre-heated oven for about 50 minutes until bread is nicely browned and pulls away from sides of pan. Turn out onto wire rack to cool. Makes one loaf.

(I have made this into pumpkin bread by substituting one cup of canned pumpkin for the bananas. I then usually add some cinnamon and nutmeg also.)

JLiebCamm
09-05-2004, 08:55 AM
The nicest thing that anyone did for me right after I got home from the hospital was to bring a week's worth of prepared meals for my freezer. One less thing to worry about definitley helped!

shartemink
09-05-2004, 10:29 AM
I also recommend the food suggestion. Friends brought us pizza from Dominos & it was perfect!! And hubby could enjoy it also. Another idea is to bring a small "birth-day" cake for the baby :)
Looks like you have a lot of good ideas to choose from!
Sam

kitmama
09-05-2004, 06:13 PM
I agree, food and snacks are good ideas. I also like to scented soap idea.

My Dad brought champagne. It was really nice to have a little toast! Sparkling cider is good, too.

I usually try to bring an oversized, soft, stretchy, comfy pair of flannel or jersey pajama pants. After ds was born, I lived in pajama pants and a Bravado nursing bra for months. :) Places like Goody's and Marshall's, etc often have cute pajamas for not much money.

What about a book that you found helpful in those first months? Books I'd consider include "The Girlfriend's Guide to Surviving the First Year of Motherhood", "The Happiest Baby on the Block", and various breastfeeding handbooks.

If mama is breastfeeding, a tube of Lansinoh lanolin is great (assuming her hospital doesn't provide one).

A nice photo album might be good, too.