PDA

View Full Version : Can he be teething already? What is the matter with him!!

aliceinwonderland
09-04-2004, 12:03 PM
My poor little fellow is SO cranky: very tired, refuses to sleep, wants to be held constantly, can't put him down for a second. He puts his entire fist in his mouth, more that usual, he's nursing like a newborn, and sort of digs his head down(and rolls on his tummy) when put down...what to do?? He's just past 4 months old...can I give him some infant Tylenol?? What's the dose?? We're also (of course) between peds, so this present one has yet to see him...

ellies mom
09-04-2004, 12:35 PM
Oh you poor thing. Yes, he could be teething. I give DD tylenol or iboprofen when she is teething. I called the pharmacy the first time I gave it to her. The first dose the tylenol box gives is for a 24 pound baby. On my box that dose is 1.6mL or two .8mL dropperfuls. So for a 12lbs baby that would be .8mL, a 6lbs baby would be .4mL, and an 18lbs baby gets 1.2mL. Does that make sense? I was pretty annoyed the first time I used it because the doctor said to give her some but didn't give a dose and the box said to call the doctor for the dose.

DD just sprouted a new tooth last night, so we feel your pain. Good luck.

Ellie 11-03-03

californiagirl
09-04-2004, 12:49 PM
Yes, he could be teething. DD got her first two teeth at 14 weeks (and is just now getting #3 at 6 months, although she's been drooling and gnawing on things the whole time!) He could also be in a growth spurt. Growing pains hurt, too.

As the PP said, Tylenol doses are by weight. My ped is also OK with in between doses for in between weights and had us give her "about .6 -- between the two lines" when she was 14 pounds.

Buffys Mommy
09-04-2004, 02:15 PM
Eri,

It's entirely possible it's teeth. Sarah got two teeth two days after she turned four months. She had teething symptoms - drooling, irritability, etc. for over a month. As for tylenol dosage, our Ped told me to half her weight. So at 16 pounds, we give her .8. At 12 pounds we would give her .6 This seems to work well for her.

Another recommendation if it's teething - Hylands Teething Tablets. After being cranky for days, Sarah relaxed and took a nap within 30 minutes of giving her some. They really saved us in the early days.

Tammie
Sarah Michelle 10/13/03

egoldber
09-04-2004, 03:45 PM
Here's a link to a dosage chart for tylenol and ibuprofen:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T089101.asp

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T088900.asp