PDA

View Full Version : A great explanation of the middle class tax burden

Torey
09-04-2004, 05:44 PM
Disclaimer:
This is from a regular newspaper, not a partisian magazine, so it really is fair and balanced. Here is the link -
http://tinyurl.com/5slwe

So after reading this I'm wondering - why are people so upset that the wealthy (defined by some as making $200,00 or more a year) are paying less taxes than they were before? They are still paying a larger percentage of their income than anyone else. And they still pay more of the taxes than anyone else. For the record, I am not wealthy, not even close to wealthy, can't even pretend to be wealthy. I do know, and am related to, some wealthy people, but I don't think that b/c they are wealthy that they need to pay even more money in taxes than they already do.

I have heard too many great stories about wealthy people who used their recent tax cut to start a new business and create jobs to believe that the gov't would really be spending those lost taxes in a more beneficial way. And can ANYONE explain to me, just why does the gov't need all our money anyway? Why do we all need the gov't to take care of us? Why do you think the gov't does a better job of running your life than you do? Honestly, if it were up to me our federal taxes would go to pay 2 things - defense and roads. That's it. We wouldn't need to pay as much taxes and the gov't wouldn't be allowed to waste our money like they do every year. Believe it or not, there was a time when there was no income tax. :)