PDA

View Full Version : Mamas - question for you

Marisa6826
09-05-2004, 08:42 PM
Did any of you have a nasty pulled muscle feeling where your upper inner thigh meets the trunk of your body? Like where your underwear leg hole is?

It happened to me last time when preggo with Sophie, and it is happening again this time. It's not like I was doing anything remotely fun or interesting when it happened - just putting on my jammie bottoms. :(

It seems to hurt the most when I turn over in bed or have to lift one leg to put on pants. Now it's started when I go up and down the stairs or walk for any period of time.

Any ideas or suggestions? I have an OB appt on Wednesday, but I have a feeling that he won't have any answers based on my googling results.

Ow!

-m

amazz
09-05-2004, 08:48 PM
Marisa-
I was just wondering the same thing!! It hurts to bend my leg to get my pants on!!! I hope someone has some answers for us.

(BTW, are all OB appts on Wednesdays, 'cause that's when mine is too. :) )

Angela
EDD 10/15/04
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

bluej
09-05-2004, 08:51 PM
Yes, I had that with Ryden. But I don't think I had it as bad as you are describing b/c it only acted up in your first two examples (turning over and getting dressed). In fact I felt better the more I walked. Not long walks mind you, but short frequent walks. And no, my doctor was of no help. She quite literally had the attitude of 'oh, that's too bad, now lets move on.' I convinced myself that that pain, along with the extreme pelvic pain I was experiencing, would aid in a quick and pain-free labor. I was only half right :( I hope your doctor is of more help.

Marisa6826
09-05-2004, 09:01 PM
LOL-

Actually mine was supposed to be last week, but I refused to go in during the RNC.

Good luck!

-m

Kieransmom
09-05-2004, 09:18 PM
Yes, I did too. It's not fun. Sorry to hear that you're having it again. I think I started feeling that way starting in my 5th month. It was both inner and outer thighs and it was even painful to sleep.

My SIL is 27 weeks along and she asked me the same question a week ago. My OB said it was the ligaments stretching to prepare for childbirth. I don't know if that's true...all I know is it sucks! I'm sorry!!!

Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030509/1/5/0/+10/.png[/img][/url]

Marisa6826
09-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Well, then somebody should tell my ligaments I'm having a c/s ;) :P.

-m

alleyoop
09-05-2004, 10:15 PM
I am convinced that OBs only have two answers to every question! Either it is "Well, ------ happens to some people when pregnant," or "Well, not everyone has ------ while pregnant." Ugh!

Could it be those darn round ligaments?

Marisa6826
09-05-2004, 10:31 PM
LOL. I agree. I usually get the response of, "Hmmmm. Well, no two pregnancies are the same." Grrrrr!

They're *awfully* low to be round ligaments. As I said, it's where your underwear meets the top of your inner thigh. I've looked at medical illustrations, and this is much closer to the inner hip joint, FWIW.

Think bikini line land...

-m

Momof3Labs
09-05-2004, 11:53 PM
Yep, had that for the last 2-3 months of my pregnancy with Colin, and the thing that "cured" it was childbirth. I sat on bed pillows (quite a sight at work, I'm afraid) to help ease the pain. Sleeping without a pillow between my legs helped. Also, avoid doing anything that remotely resembles the splits - like, no stepping over baby gates, and when getting in and out of the car, swing your legs to the side and stand rather than splitting your legs to climb out. Stairs and walking are hard, too, so don't do more than you have to.

Unfortunately, once it hit, it lasted for the rest of my pregnancy. Fortunately, it was gone within a few days of delivery.

nohomama
09-06-2004, 12:52 AM
Marisa,

The symptoms you're describing *are* often associated with Round ligament pain. Even if you're not experiencing discomfort where the Round ligaments actually are (lower abdomen) the pain can be referred. Also, it's not just the Round ligaments that are effected by Relaxin, the hormone that causes all the "loosening up" that OB/midwives talk about. Every ligament in your body is basted in the stuff so the pain could be eminating from any of the ligaments that hold your pelvis together.

Sorry you're uncomfortable. I experienced the very same symptoms that you describe and like Lori, my cure ended up being delivering a baby.

As a side note I have to say though Relaxin was the bane of my pregnant existence, in the end I was very glad of it. Astrid's head was a whopping 14 1/2" (and inch and a half larger than her older sister's) and I needed all the "loosening up" I could get.

I know you're having a CS but unfortunately your body doesn't. It's just doing what it thinks needs to happen for you to birth a baby.

starrynight
09-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Isn't that the absolute worst thing in pregnancy?? It hurts something awful, I'm sorry you have it Marisa. I had the pains bad with Daria's pregnancy but it was only the last 3 weeks so it wasn't so horrible but they started much earlier with Eliza's pregnancy, I was glad she decided to come 2 weeks early!!

Sarah1
09-06-2004, 11:04 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had totally forgotten about it until I read your post! Ugh, it was awful! I can't remember when the pain finally went away, but I remember the throbbing. It was terrible! I hope it stops for you soon!!! :)

proggoddess
09-06-2004, 11:16 PM
I also had this problem. Started at the end of the first trimester and just got worse. Cleared up magically about 2 days after giving birth! :) It was extremely bothersome when rolling over in bed, putting on my socks, and getting in the car. Also, it was a biiiig mistake for me to test out the crib's push-in-with-your-knee drop side when we got it. Ouch! I think it's just the loosening of the pelvis, not round ligament pain (because I had a lot of that, too)!

I made DH switch sides of the bed with me so I could minimize the discomfort. We haven't switched back yet -- I like "his" side!