PDA

View Full Version : Zucchini Bread recipe

jamsmu
09-06-2004, 09:22 AM
Can you help me? I made this last night (so proud!!) but DH thinks its a little dry and I think it could be a little more sweet. What can I add? I'm thinking applesauce, but I'm worried it will make it heavy (I love that it is light right now) or maybe add brown sugar? TIA you cookin' mamas!

ZUCCHINI BREAD
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups grated zucchini
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3 cups flour
3 teaspoons cinnamon

Blend all ingredients together. Bake in greased loaf tin at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until done.

From the Dinner Co-op

sugarsnappea
09-06-2004, 10:15 AM
You may want to try one of those tiny cans of crushed pinepple. It will moisten and sweeten your bread. :)

edited for spelling error

kristenk
09-06-2004, 11:40 AM
I know that you didn't ask for other zucchini bread recipes, but I thought I'd share this one with you.

Zucchini Bread
3 cups shreadded zucchini
4 cups flour
1 cup & 2 Tablespoons sugar, divided
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
5 teaspoons baking powder
1 Tablespoon grated lemon rind
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cup skim milk
6 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Press zucchini on several layers of paper towel. Set aside. Combine flour, 1 cup sugar, and the next 7 ingredients (through nutmeg) in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine milk, oil, vanilla & eggs in a bowl. Whisk. Add zucchini. Stir. Add to flour mixture and stir until moist. Divide batter between 2 (8x4) loaf pans. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Remove from pans.

I think that the recipe came from Cooking Light, but I'm not positive. Also, I believe that I've made it without the nuts before, and it was just as good.

hcsl
09-06-2004, 12:58 PM
It might help if you mix your wet and dry ingredients separately then combine (if you didn't do that). You can add more zucchini (probably up to a cup, if you want) to make it more moist- a 9x4 pan should be able to hold another cup- and to add a touch of sweetness you could sprinkle the top with turbinado sugar before baking.

jamsmu
09-07-2004, 09:36 AM
Thank you!! I knew I could count on this board for help! Will let you all know how it goes.

C99
09-07-2004, 09:43 AM
I would sub 1/2 cup of applesauce for 1/2 of the oil and cut the sugar. I modified my mom's zucchini bread this way and it turned out just fine. My mom's recipe calls for 1.5 cups of sugar. Now it has 1 cup of sugar.

KrisM
09-07-2004, 09:48 AM
This is so funny. I made zucchini bread this weekend. The recipe I used was just about the same, except it uses 3 eggs. I don't find it dry at all. Maybe that would help? I am not much of a cook or baker, so ...

I was going to post here and ask what I should do with the rest of the zucchini. I have about 2/3 of it left. I don't know how to cook it to eat plain or anything. What did you do with the rest?

Kris

cara1
09-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Funny, I just made it, too. I ran out of zucchini, and added in some carrots. The recipe I had was Fat-Free, so no oil, but applesauce isntead. I had searched for a number of recipes, some said 1c. sugar, others 2c. I ended up using 1 cup of brown sugar. I agree, it's not that sweet. But I keep reminding myself that it's a BREAD (actually, I did 1/2 loaf, and 1/2 muffins), not cupcakes. I added raisins, too, so that helped quite a bit. Maybe I'll add more sugar next time, but I was kind of making it as a sneaky way to get DS to get veggies, so didn't mind limiting the sugar.

jamsmu
09-07-2004, 04:27 PM
I still have zucchini left, too. I like to make a really easy side dish: Cut the zuchs. into very thin, round slices. Cut half med. onion into thin strips. put a teaspoon of oil into a frying pan.Turn burner onto medium to heat oil. Add the zuchs and onion slices. stir until hot and "rubbery". I usually add some spices: lemon pepper or "Natures Seasonings: Seasoning Blend" or "Jane's Crazy Salt" while cooking. Enjoy!

jbowman
09-07-2004, 06:42 PM
I just throw zucchini into tomato sauce (you can cook it in a bit of oil first) and serve with pasta--it cooks down, so you can use a lot. I also add zucchini to ground turkey all of the time. It's an easy way to add a vegetable and the zucchini/gr. turkey combo works well in tomato sauces, burritos, enchiladas, etc. HTH!

C99
09-07-2004, 11:08 PM
I julienne them and fry them in butter with salt and pepper. My mom used to steam zucchini and I always thought I hated zucchini as a kid...then I tried them fried (probably not the healthiest way either...) and I love them! Even my super picky husband eats them this way.

m448
09-07-2004, 11:30 PM
May be too late but I had a suggestion. Not the lightest version but I would use 1 cup of butter instead of the oil. Beat the butter and sugar first until the butter is almost the consistency of mayo then add the eggs, and all the other ingredients except for the flour. Add the flour last and don't overbeat.

You'll get a lighter bread and I would sub brown sugar maybe adding 1/4 cup of your favorite juice to add sweetness and moisture.