PDA

View Full Version : how much would you pay for used crib/highchair and other items?

spu
09-06-2004, 09:54 PM
I'm going to a local Mom's "Fall Fair" resale event with my Twins Club this October and I don't know what to charge for a few items... What would you expect to pay for these if you were buying them used? Everything is in fantastic condition so I want to make sure I don't come home from the

2 Legacy Cribs used for 6 mos. Orig. paid $400 each.

2 Primma Pappa DT Roller highchairs. Orig. paid $200 each.

1 Kelty backpack - one of the big ones with all the fixins. Can't remember how much it cost - I think around $175...

1 baby bjorn - used only 3 times...

booster seats - The FIrst Years (i think) - orig. $40.

Graco Pack-n-play - I can't remember how much we paid... How much are these going for new these days?

-- and how about a Belgian Waffle Iron? the kind that makes 2 waffles at a time... I might bring that with me too.

Isn't it crazy how much we spend on these things? ugh!

thanks for any pricing suggestions!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte + else

http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/bash/nonflash/year.html

http://lilypie.com/baby3/020723/0/9/0/-5/.png[/img][/url]

C99
09-06-2004, 10:01 PM
My block is having a big garage sale next weekend and I'm pricing everything that I have in these categories to sell, so I don't know how much my opinion would count. I think that people expect a bargain when they buy secondhand, no matter what condition things are in, IYKWIM?

>2 Legacy Cribs used for 6 mos. Orig. paid $400 each.

Do they include the mattress? If no, maybe $150 each.

>2 Primma Pappa DT Roller highchairs. Orig. paid $200 each.

$50 each, *maybe* $75. You can get them new for $130 now.

>1 Kelty backpack - one of the big ones with all the fixins.
>Can't remember how much it cost - I think around $175...

$75

>1 baby bjorn - used only 3 times...

How old is it? $10-$20

>booster seats - The FIrst Years (i think) - orig. $40.

$10-15 each

>Graco Pack-n-play - I can't remember how much we paid... How
>much are these going for new these days?

$50. I think they're about $100 new, depending on the extras they have.

Good luck Susan!

ShayleighCarsensMom
09-06-2004, 10:02 PM
I would say that if they are all in clean excellent condition that you could get roughly half...
You can do a search for completed listings on ebay and that will tell you what a good resale price would be.

american_mama
09-07-2004, 06:03 PM
I buy a lot of things used and to me appearance counts for a lot. If something looks dated, either because it's old, well used, or is a design that I know has changed, its value goes down. Here's what I would pay:

>>> 2 Legacy Cribs used for 6 mos. Orig. paid $400 each.
Assuming they look brand new, I'd charge about $175 to 200. If they are white, they will look cheaper and sell for less. If you have one, include a photo of the cribs put together and with linens inside; disassembled cribs just don't excite me as a buyer, although I understand why sellers present them that way.

>>> 2 Primma Pappa DT Roller highchairs. Orig. paid $200 each.
I'd pay about $80. Make sure it is scrupulously clean, especially the sides, legs, wheels, tray, harness, belt, under the padding, and in any crevices.

>>>> 1 Kelty backpack - one of the big ones with all the fixins. Can't remember how much it cost - I think around $175...
Not sure on this one since it's not an item I looked for.. mabye $50?

>>> 1 baby bjorn - used only 3 times...
On ebay, they were going for over $50 when I last looked in 2002. At the same time, my local Once Upon A Child resale store was selling one for about $30. The current style has a lumbar back support, so yours may be seen as less good if it's the previous year's style. If yours has metal snaps anywhere on it, it's even older and will sell for less.

>>> booster seats - The FIrst Years (i think) - orig. $40.
Not sure... booster seats for eating? I wouldn't pay much for plastic items, maybe $10.

>>>> Graco Pack-n-play - I can't remember how much we paid... How much are these going for new these days?
I'd pay about $40 or $50. Better ones have changing table inserts and/or bassinett inserts, so if yours has that, $50. I paid about $30 for an older used pack n play, which in retrospect I think was a little high. I've seen good, simple ones at garage sales for $15.

juliemiya
09-07-2004, 06:40 PM
You know of that show Clean House on the Style Channel? They have a garage sale expert, and he recommends selling at around 30% of the retail value.

julie

kijip
09-07-2004, 09:40 PM
>2 Legacy Cribs used for 6 mos. Orig. paid $400 each.

$100-$200 each depending on mattresses.

>2 Primma Pappa DT Roller highchairs. Orig. paid $200 each.

$50 each

>1 Kelty backpack - one of the big ones with all the fixins.
>Can't remember how much it cost - I think around $175...

$50-75

>1 baby bjorn - used only 3 times...

My used Bjorn went for 75 dollars on Ebay. Bidding war I guess! I would say at least $40 since it is like new if it is a popular color like City Black. $30 plus if it is a less popular color.

>booster seats - The FIrst Years (i think) - orig. $40.

$10 each
>
>Graco Pack-n-play - I can't remember how much we paid... How
>much are these going for new these days?

$30 since they are a dime a dozen at used stores it seems like. My three in one went for $40 at a yard sale.
>
>-- and how about a Belgian Waffle Iron? the kind that makes 2
>waffles at a time... I might bring that with me too.

$10. $15?
>
>Isn't it crazy how much we spend on these things? ugh!

YES! I feel sheepish when i realize just how much I have spent on Toby.

Twin Mom
09-07-2004, 10:56 PM
Susan - I would recommend that you talk to the sale coordinator in your twins club or else some other club members who have sold before as they should be able to help you with appropriate pricing for your stuff.

I can tell you that in my twins club, equipment (car seats, swings, bouncey chairs, strollers, high chairs, etc.) that is pretty new and in really good shape can sell for 50% of retail. The way my club works, the moms in the club shop first, then other multiples club members in the area and then the general public. Basically the cheaper stuff goes to the club members and the general public tends to buy the stuff that is more expensive (i.e. 50% of retail) because that is what's left. I remember I was nervous that my stuff wouldn't sell because it didn't go early, but by the end it was all gone! We also had a chance to mark stuff down during the sale if we really wanted to get rid of it but for most equipment it wasn't necessary.

Stuff that can be bought new for a lower price than you paid - like a pack and play in an old pattern doesn't go for quite as much. Also, you wouldn't be able to sell a waffle iron b/c it isn't baby related :-)

HTH.