PDA

View Full Version : Any benefits to organic formula??? also, moms who supplement...

aliceinwonderland
09-07-2004, 02:15 PM
It has become clear we have to supplement, at least for now. It'll be just once a day, the rest of the time i will BF...What's the scoop on organic formula? worth it?

ALSO< for moms who BF but have to supplement, how long did you do this for (ie, did you dry up even more, have to stop nursing altogehter sooner than you thought??)

kijip
09-07-2004, 09:25 PM
After trying Horizon Organics formula I decided that it really was not worth it. Frankly formula only contains part of cow's milk and I decided not to let the remaining hormones or pesticides worry me. Now that Toby is on cow's milk, I do only give him organic dairy and meat. But that was not at issue since we bought mostly organic pre-Toby.

Horizon formula was terribly clumpy in my opinion.

One thing to consider is that Baby's Only is NOT an approved, FDA certified infant formula. The only FDA approved certified organic baby formula is Horizon Organics.

Hope that helps!

sadie427
09-07-2004, 10:01 PM
I started supplementing at about 7 1/2 months, hoping to keep breastfeeding at least in the morning and at night as long as possible, but we were totally weaned in 6-8 weeks. He was sleeping thru the night at that point, which I think made me dry up faster. Eventually he would take the breast if offered, but would nurse for a while and then be crying for a bottle 1/2 hour later--I think I just wasn't making milk fast enough and it was frustrating. I have heard of people doing this for much longer, it just didn't work for us for some reason.

We give him as much organic food as possible, but we used generic iron-fortified formula from target.

flagger
09-07-2004, 10:07 PM
I can just say what we experienced. Milk production went down a little bit when we started supplementing, but I always added some EBM to the bottles each day. She would nurse exclusively in the mornings and in the evenings and I would give bottles of formula mixed with EBM. She had no trouble going from bottle to breast and back, but remember since I was the one staying at home we were dilligent about introducing the bottle early.

As far as the different formulas, you just have to try what works for you. The two major brands are literally like Coke versus Pepsi. All formulas in the US have to by law have the same nutritional value. Some children just have a preference for one over the other. Cocoa got gassy and uncomfortable with Similac so we stuck with Enfamil.

JElaineB
09-07-2004, 11:21 PM
I want to reiterate what Katie said. The only FDA approved INFANT formula is Horizon Organic. Any others are labled as toddler formulas or similar, which you shouldn't be using at this point. Horizon Organic formula is only available in Washington, Oregon and California at this time.

http://horizonorganicbaby.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02