PDA

View Full Version : Calling anyone with NYC experience - museum questions

darby24
09-08-2004, 03:41 AM
My sister and I are planning a trip to New York sometime in October (probably.) We'll be going for maybe 4-5 days and will be staying with a friend in Brooklyn. My sister has been to New York once before, back in '02 with her dh and son Jay who was 5 months. We will take my youngest nephew this time, he'll be around 7 months when we go (Jay to stay home with dad and grandparents).

Our plans include to walk the Brooklyn Bridge (she didn't get to do that last time), possibly take the Staten Island ferry, the empire state building and just basically walk around the city. Nothing that exciting, we're not real touristy type people though I'm just itching to photograph the city.

I do have a question about the Museum of Modern Art. From what I understand the museum is being renovated, was moved to Queens and will be moving back to Manhattan. The website says it'll stay in Queens until Sept 27 and the official opening of the new place will be November 20. So is the museum totally closed through this time? I can't seem to understand. If it's closed for the full time, I'm not going to be happy. :( The only thing I want to see is my absolute favourite photograph which of course is on display at the museum (Chicago by Harry Callahan.)

I'm possibly interested in seeing the International Centre of Photography as well, but not sure from what their web site says. Has anyone been there?

How about one more museum question. Are strollers allowed in or not? I've heard conflicting reports. I'm not going to spend hours in a museum so if I find something that I'd like to look at I guess my sister and nephew can spend the time at a restaurant or book store. (I don't take hours in museum, I'm in and out.)

I'm looking forward to this trip big time. We had planned on going last summer, but things came up including the pregnancy of my second nephew.

TIA

rottiemom
09-08-2004, 09:22 AM
First off, enjoy your trip to NY. It's a fabulous place with tons to do & Autumn is a great time to go.

I'd suggest emailing the MoMA to find out particulars- go right to the source! A lot of time construction plans never go as they are supposed to & there are delays. You could also find out if your favorite photograph will in fact be in residence or is out on tour. And I'm sure that they could definitively answer your stroller question as well.

If you have time try & stop by the Metropolitain Museum too. It's pretty fabulous & the indoor gardens are a delight. Personally I can't wait until my little guy is old enough to appreciate the Museum of Natural History!

Good luck,

Nina

Marisa6826
09-08-2004, 09:39 AM
Yes, I believe that MoMA will be closed during the transition. They need to move all the artwork back to NYC from Queens. It's been closed for sometime, so the grand reopening is going to be quite the big hurrah. As a PP mentioned, try calling them directly.

I can't tell you anything about the ICP, sorry.

Strollers are allowed into most museums and into most exhibits. I would DEFINITELY call ahead of time to get the specifics. If you're concerned about it, I would bring a sling or Bjorn just in case. You can check strollers at coat check.

Have fun and fit in some shopping while here!

-m

lizamann
09-08-2004, 12:37 PM
The only think I know for sure is that the Guggenheim does not allow strollers. They rent out Tough Travellers for those who don't have a carrier.

Have fun! We'll be there in early November - dh is running the marathon. I can't wait! I love NY!