PDA

View Full Version : External cephalic version - UPDATE

vikivoly
09-08-2004, 11:26 AM
Yeah, the baby turned! I went in prepared for the worst, but it really wasn't bad at all. The actual turning part only took about 5 minutes. I honestly didn't think it was painful, but more uncomfortable. It seemed really strange to have someone put that much pressure on my belly, since as a pregnant mama I'm so protective of my belly. The baby sailed through it also. She didn't show any signs of distress. My belly is a little sore, but it more the skin on my belly than a deep soreness - if that makes any sense. There is a red mark across my belly where he was pushing.

Thanks again for all the support and I'm sorry I haven't been around much to support you ladies. I've been so busy preparing for this baby and wrapping things up with my business, I haven't had the opportunity to post much.

I'm 36 weeks and found out yesterday that my baby has gone from the head down position to a transverse position. I'm scheduled for an external cephalic version tomorrow. Has anyone had a version attempt? What should I expect? I've done some research on the net and have read that the pain can range from extremely painful to mild discomfort. My doctor said he uses the mother's pain as a guide to how much pressure he applies. He said he is not aggressive with the attempt and if the baby doesn't turn easily, he does not force it.

I read that if you spend a lot of time in the pool that this could cause the baby to be breech. I haven't spent a lot of time in the pool, but on Sunday I was in the water for about 2 hours straight. The baby was head down last Wednesday and by this Tues. she has turned back. Coincidence?

jk3
09-08-2004, 11:34 AM
My DS was breech from about 28 weeks up until the day before I went into labor at 36 weeks. My doctor was convinced I would need to have a c-section but it didn't turn out that way. A close friend had a successful version attempt but it was painful for her. She was closer to her due date at the time + ended up having a large baby (9 pounds) so that most likely contributed to the pain. It sounds like your doctor will do what is best for you. Wishing you lots of luck!

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

american_mama
09-08-2004, 11:50 AM
Wow, I feel for you. I just had a midwife appointment two days ago (I'm 31 weeks) and she said baby is head down, back to on my left side, and won't move, but now I know anything can happen. Does it feel any different? Based on the way my baby moves and rolls, I didn't think she was head down at all.

I know nothing abot external version, but if it doesn't work, here is an unusual idea. I read in "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom" (a health book by an OB/GYN who supports natural birth and alternative medicine) that biofeedback can often turn a breech baby. You can check out her book in any bookstore and just read the short section on breech presentation.

Also, I recently saw a brochure for a special pregnancy necklace with a little bell at the end (see "Bola" at http://www.babylonia.be/index_eng.html). I think the necklace is designed just for fun, but one or two midwives who saw me looking at the brochure said you have to make sure the necklace is very long so the baby doesn't turn head up towards the sound. Perhaps the opposite would work? Maybe a tiny bell worn very low would get baby to turn toward that noise?

I hope neither are necessary and the external version works well and painlessly. Tell us how it goes.

ellies mom
09-08-2004, 12:54 PM
First of all, the pool most likely had nothing to do with it. Babies do what they are going to do.

DD was a footling breech. We tried the version. I was on the extremely painful side of the sprectrum. It is a really good time to try out your new breathing skills. Although all I got out of it was that I suck at patterned breathing. At anyrate, she did not budge. They offered to try again the day of the scheduled c-section but not a chance.

As painful as it was, I think it is at least worth trying. If it doesn't work, at least you have time to come to terms with the scheduled c-section.

On the bright side, my ob-gyn told me that most women who had a successful version found that it was more painful than the labor part. I didn't go through labor but I still have a new threshold for what pain really is.

JulieL
09-08-2004, 01:04 PM
My son turned around breech in my last week. It was him turning on his own and VERY uncomfortable. I didn't try a reversal and had a c-section. I guess if you try the reversal and it's to hard to deal with your just at the same point as you were before. Is there any risk to the baby when trying to turn them around, such as the cord getting in the way and wrapping around the neck while turning? I wouldn't know, just wondering.

MegND95
09-08-2004, 01:10 PM
My first was frank breech (for the entire pg, according to my records) and we tried a version at 37w. As the pp mentioned, it was VERY uncomfortable (however, in my opinion, not as bad as labor!). I too used my breathing techniques to help me cope. My version failed and I had a c/s at 39w. For the first several days following my version, I was very sore and felt bruised.

I was disappointed the ECV failed, as I wanted to experience labor and childbirth. But I am glad that we at least tried. I know there are a variety of safe techniques you can try to get baby to turn. I just can't recall what they are, but maybe someone else here can give you better guidance!

I have since had two successful VBACs, so know that if this pg ends in a c/s, you have an excellent chance to have a vaginal delivery in the future.

Good luck!

LucyG
09-08-2004, 01:38 PM
I didn't make it to my scheduled ECV! I went into labor three days before it was supposed to occur, so had a c-section. Just wanted to throw in some positive thoughts to you, though. I hope the baby will turn, and that he/she will do so with minimal pain for you!

LucyG
09-08-2004, 01:38 PM
oops - double post

jd11365
09-08-2004, 01:56 PM
Kayla was transverse until 36 weeks herself (I think it was 36). My lamaze instructor told me to get into a pool and do handstands. I did... I did handstands, flips...anything to flip her head back down, and it worked!

Make sure you have someone in the pool with you of course so you don't hurt yourself.

HTH! And good luck with the version if you she doesn't turn by tomorrow...

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

JElaineB
09-08-2004, 03:19 PM
No experience but I've heard pelvic rocks sometimes work.

Here is a website that might help you get the kiddo turned around:

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/breech.html

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Tondi G
09-08-2004, 03:25 PM
Know of any acupunturists in your area??? Call around and see if any of them perform Moxibustion. I had a friend whos baby was breech... had a manual version appointemnt set up.... did the moxibustion and baby turned!!!!

Good luck

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

parkersmama
09-08-2004, 03:35 PM
Parker was head down and then turned breech between my 38 and 39 week appointments. The day he turned it was fairly painful and I felt pretty yucky. My doctor discovered he was breech when he did my 39 week internal exam. We scheduled an ECV for the next day and he told me to be prepared to go ahead and deliver if it was successful. He said that babies often turn back breech if left to their own devices so he would break my water and get labor started if they were able to turn the baby.

The ECV was pretty painful. They go ahead and set you up in a labor room and have an ultrasound machine there to check the baby's heartrate and breathing periodically. They also go ahead and do an IV. The doctor spread the ultrasound jelly all over my tummy and then did the US to check position, etc. Then the doctor and an LDR nurse used their hands to put pressure on the baby to turn him head down. I did use my breathing techniques (I wasn't good at them either) but the pain wasn't unbearable. After doing it (without much success) for a few minutes and checking the US, Parker's heartrate had dropped drastically so they put me on oxygen (to get it straight to him) and said that was it, they'd have to stop since the baby wasn't tolerating it well. The dr. told me to go home and wait to go into labor on my own and hope that he'd change position.

No such luck. My water broke on its own about 4 days later and they checked with an US (I insisted) at the hospital...still breech. I had a c-section. But, I've had two successful VBACs (yea!) since then.

If I were to be pregnant with another breech, I'd definitely try doing ECV again. I think the pain is worth it if you get to have a vaginal delivery. Also, since you've already had one vaginal delivery (I'm assuming), I'd push them to allow me to have a vaginal breech delivery. I don't know how you feel about it but it's not as unsafe as doctors would like us to believe.

Best of luck!! And let us know how things turn out!

mary b
09-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Hi Vicky,
It was about 1 year ago I posted the same question with my DD. I was scheduled for the version and went in and she had turned on her own with me just doing a couple of the exercises. She didn't turn again and I had a regular vaginal delivery around 3 weeks later.

I was told it could be painful and to take the day off from work and not plan on picking up my 2-year old.

good luck and I hope he/she turns on her/his own but if not,IMO, I say go for the version and anything you can before the c/s.

mary

starrynight
09-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Good luck!!

Anything can happen, my brother was transverse until 5 minutes before he was born! My mom asked the doc not to do a csection, no idea if they tried a version or not. He was her last baby and she said she would try anything to get him to turn and to just give it some time, well the doc did and then as soon as he turned they broke her water to make sure he didn't turn again. 5 minutes later he was born. Of course this was almost 21 years ago before malpractice rates and all that got so high so now usually if you get to 39 weeks without the baby turning you get a csection.

I hope she turns for you and then stays head down!

Rachels
09-08-2004, 09:18 PM
I haven't read the responses, but just wanted to make you aware of a few other options for turning your baby if the version doesn't work. One is the Webster Technique, which is a chiropractic technique that is almost always successful. It's a series of very gentle adjustments over a week or so. The second is moxibustion, which is an acupuncture technique. I forget the success rate, but it's very high-- 80%-ish.

Good luck!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

vikivoly
09-08-2004, 11:41 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. I always like to go into a situation prepared for the worst, so I'm not expecting it to be smooth sailing. I'll keep you all posted on how it went. Keep us in your prayers tonight.

sirensrise
09-09-2004, 02:08 AM
i actually had the webster technique done. dd was not turning at 36 weeks. that and the the accupuncture(my step father is an accupuncturist). according to my ob, the baby could turn any time up to labor. he did not want ot do anything but to wait and see. he said that he would do the version if that is what i wanted.

chrissyhowie
09-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Vicki,

Just sending you some good thoughts for your appointment today. I haven't had much chance to read/post lately so I'm jumping in a little late. I had a version attempt for DD#1 -- like everyone said it's not a pleasant experience, but IMHO worth the effort. DD didn't end up turning so I had a c-section (and opted for a repeat c-section with DD#2). But your chances for VBAC success for future deliveries even with a c-section for #2 are excellent given the indication for the c-section and your history of vaginal delivery for your first.

Every baby is so unique -- I figured DD#1 just got comfortable with her head sitting closer to my heart :).

Thinking healthy thoughts for you,

papal
09-10-2004, 12:41 AM
Woohoo on the turning!! I wonder what the baby must have been thinking at that point...like why are people waking me up from my nap and telling me to turn around??!! So cute!!
Only 4 more weeks!! How exciting!

MamaKath
09-10-2004, 01:05 AM
Relieved it went so smoothy for you!!! Hopefuly the rest of your pregnancy will be completely smooth sailing and relaxing. Can't believe how fast it has gone. :-)

mary b
09-10-2004, 08:31 AM
Vicki,

That's great!!!1 that's what happened to me!!!

take care and i hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well!!

mary

american_mama
09-10-2004, 06:32 PM
So happy for you! It's great to hear of someone who had a different, low pain experience with a version. I like the reminder of how many different things can happen during pregnancy and birth.

-- Karen