PDA

View Full Version : Help for mom-to-be!!! Is your digital camera fast?? ISO small one that will capture those "must have" baby/toddler shots.

ctychick
09-09-2004, 09:59 AM
Not sure if I'm on the right board here, but I am looking for a fast, on-the-go camera.

I'm in the market for a compact digital camera that produces great image quality and has a low shutter lag. I realize that no digital camera is perfect, but if you have one that you love, please tell me about it. I have a Canon Digital Rebel which I love, but I'm expecting my first child and want a quality/fast point and shoot to toss in my purse/diaper bag for everyday use. I've been considering the Canon A80, A95 or the Canon S500 Elph. (These are all 4.0 or 5.o mp). I'd love feedback on these or any others that I should consider. I'm almost wondering if I should stick to film for this camera, but I hate to give up the convenience of digital (emailing, processing, etc.) Thanks!!!!
Debbie

cdlamis
09-09-2004, 04:12 PM
Debbie-

I have the Canon S500 Elph and LOVE it. I researched cameras and reviews for about a month before deciding on this one. It is super fast and takes great pictures. It is very small too so it can fit in my diaper bag (one of my requirements).

My in-laws are digital camera freaks (they have the big professional ones) and my MIL keeps saying she wants a camera like mine ever since she saw it.

One weird thing I love about it is that the battery charger plugs right into the wall (no cords). It is such a minor feature but I love it.

Good luck~

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
And another little girl EDD 12-30-04!!

new_mommy25
09-09-2004, 07:12 PM
I have a Samsung. It takes really good pictures but has that darn delay. My bf has an Olympus and hers takes really great pictures. I think I may get one of those next.

luvmypeanut
09-09-2004, 07:51 PM
If you're looking for a point and shoot, check out the Sony DSC-T1. http://tinyurl.com/7xr5d

It's tiny and can also take videos. The camera turns on instantly when you open the viewfinder and the shutter lag seems pretty short to me. I love it and take it everywhere.

mamagoosie
09-10-2004, 04:00 PM
No helpful answer, but I have a question for you--is your digial rebel not fast? I have Canon S50 and the darn shutter lag drives me crazy--hence, I was thinking of getting a digial rebel.

Lately I've been taking a lot more photos with the film camera (elan IIE) and the pictures are SO much better than anything I've seen from a digital p&s. It is a total PITA to share though.

Alex

Thatchermom
09-11-2004, 10:26 PM
I have a IIE and got a DReb in July...if you love your IIE you'll love it. I had a Nikon 5700, but the lag drove me nuts, as well as the wait for the darn zoom to move in and out. Small may be nice, but I couldn't take the change and had to sell the Nikon. Got the DReb and I'm in heaven, if it had eye control focus I'd never know the difference. The day I got it one of my students (who also has an Elan)picked it up and took a picture and it was only after he started to set it down that he realized it wasn't my normal camera and was digital. I've already taken over 2000 pictures with it (trip to Prage, I'm not a photographic freak!) and I couldn't be more delighted.

Honestly, I researched a ton of cameras for a friend recently, but I can't see how I would ever be okay with a small point and shoot after owning the Rebel.

ctychick
09-11-2004, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the input so far!

As for my DRebel - yes, the shutter lag is pretty low, as is the case for SLR's. I just can't see myself using the DRebel as an everyday camera. I live in NYC and walk everywhere. I just can't see including the DRebel as part of my daily gear. Too bulky. That's why I'm looking for a P&S. I realize that no small P&S can come close to an SLR, but I would like something acceptable to carry around every day with all my other stuff.

iujen94
09-12-2004, 01:50 PM
I am looking for the exact same thing you are and have been forever! I actually bought the new Sony - I think it was the DSC-W1 (it's brand new) and loved it -- very very short shutter lag and big screen to view pictures - only problem is that, in all my pictures, DS looked green! But who knows, maybe I really have a green baby and just never noticed - LOL. You might try that out and see if you are happier with the color than I was. FYI, if you have Ritz Camera or Wolf Camera near you, you can buy a camera, open it and use it and return it within 10 days for a FULL refund (no restocking fee or anything). I didn't notice the green-ness with the Sony until I actually printed pictures out. You can also use and return cameras to Circuit City if you buy an open box item (which also means it's cheaper!)

I also bought and returned the new Canon PowerShot (S60) and found it to be pretty slow and I also wasn't happy with the picture quality (especially after payinhg $500!)

Someone mentioned an Olympus earlier - a friend has an Olympus (I forget which model, but it has a 10x zoom, which is pretty rare) and it takes great pictures, but is soooooo slow. He let me borrow it and it drove me crazy!

To vent for a second, I can't understand why in camera specifications they don't list their stats for shutter lag!!!

ETA: I meant to mention that, IMO, you should DEFINITELY stick with digital with a baby! You will definitely appreciate being able to take 100 pictures, get 5 good ones, and delete the rest. Plus, as mentioned before, it makes emailing those cute pictures sooo much easier!